SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wildlife Experts: Opossum Rescue?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildlife Experts: Opossum Rescue? Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I agree. Let wild animals do their thing. If they were not able to tolerate the weather in your area, they wouldn't be there unless it is some sort of Al Gore crazy weather deal cause by everyone's carbon foot print except Al's.

In the wild they eat just about anything. Earthworms, insects, small mammals, snakes, frogs toads and carrion. There shit stinks to holy hell. We had one that walked through our back yard every night and left a 1/2 lb gift. Trapped his ass and gave him to animal control who said they took him to the farm to play with all of the other opossums. Wink

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

First response was "[P]oor guy, they have no natural defense against the cold."

My wife did some research last night. Turns out their toes are normally more a white-ish colour, and the guy on the photo forum added "... they often get frost bite on their feet -- look it would be like us walking in the snow bare foot."

Are these two people who responded wildlife biologists? No natural defense against the cold? Frost-bite? Is this some kind of joke?

These critters have been around for tens of millions of years. They would not have survived if they were as delicate as apparently some people think. Leave them alone. The bigger they get the uglier and smellier they get. Trust me on this. You can smell a large possum before you can see it. They smell bad. They eat anything dead or alive. Unless they are obviously injured, wild animals don't need our help.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post