SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage/shop heating recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage/shop heating recommendations Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Have you thought of thermal heat pipes in the floor.
New build this can be added and small water heater with circulating pump.
Later to solar power would be easy.
Makes a nice setup,had an old plumber friend did his car stowage barn this way.
He had money in the Pierce arrows, Marmon , Stutz bare cat. All high dollar cars.

I'm assuming Montana has snowy and cold weather. Please look hard at radiant heat in your concrete floor. Especially if you will have a secondary heat source. I work for a power utility, heat pumps are getting pushed hard. Big improvements and possible rebates available.
They make a hot water heat pump with an electric back up.
Picture floors warm and garage at a constant temp with a back up for the quick heat.
My buddy in Alaska had his 3-1/2 car garage with 12' ceilings done with radiant floor heating. It was so comfortable in there especially my feet.

My 3 car garage in Alaska was heated, but it was from a hanging heater and my feet were always cold in there. Plus, if I was at the other end of the garage from the heater it wasn't that comfortable.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Constant temps are priceless.

Fast temp rise leads to condensation on tools/guns/etc.

Efficiency (?), Mitsubishi Inverter Heat Pump Mini Split.

80% unit heater, Reznor

Comfort for working on vehicles, in floor radiant.

Insulation and a good vapor barrier and it'll take nothing to maintain a 55 degree temp.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Here is the IBC Building code requirements. Montana is in Zone 6..

http://ecodes.biz/ecodes_suppo...rgy%20Efficiency.pdf

I would strongly recommend R-60 in the ceiling and at least R-21 in the walls.
One thing that has not been mentioned is the perimeter slab insulation. In Montana that means using a 2" thick Styrofoam board (R-10) around the entire perimeter extending 4' from the edge of the slab.

I know that insulation is not "sexy" but a properly insulated building will give you years of enjoyment not to mention be cheaper to operate regardless of how you choose to heat it.

Do it right, do it once...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post