SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which Yard/Garden Tractor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Yard/Garden Tractor Login/Join 
posted
The wife and I live on 1 acre and found the time has come for me to purchase a lawn/garden tractor to maintain. In looking online at reviews, I see different opinions from each on which brand is "best" so I thought I'd inquire among the many on this site who have a machine.

Purpose is to cut weeds and then to drag the yard frequently to keep the weeds down for the dogs to do agility.

I would appreciate any input and suggestions you may offer. Please include make and model.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
For an ordinary lawn, I have been seriously considering the JD x350 but my 27 year old JD has yet to kick the bucket.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I believe there was a thread here on tractors not too long ago. I will see if I can find it and update my post with the link.

As for me, I had a 2-acre yard and had a John Deere (LX 188 (IIRC)). It had a wide deck and a mulcher which made things a lot easier.

EDIT: I found the thread here. It's not quite what you asked about as it discusses more "general purpose" tractor use, but is still a pretty informative and entertaining thread.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My parents had 2.5 acres and my Step-dad bought a John Deere. Mostly cutting grass and pulling a trailer with stuff from the yard and creek.

My Step-dad is not cheap, but I was a little surprised he spent the money on the John Deere.

That tractor lasted the 30+ years they lived there. My Step-dad even used it to cut one of the storm sewer lids down by the street. We would always grin when we heard the noise of him running over the sewer lid.

It was one tough tractor and if I am ever in the market, I will give JD first consideration.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT 42 in. 56-Volt 60 Ah Battery Lithium-Ion Electric Front Engine Riding Lawn Tractor
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cu...ctor-LT42e/311630104

Since you are in CA, maybe something like this?

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a zero turn? I just got a toro timecutter and love it. Zero turn is a much quicker way to mow than a tractor unless you need a tractor.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My B-I-L is a professional lawn care guy, he is hardcore JD and recommends going to a dealer, not a big box store for your needs. The big box stores carry their lowest tier.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I would avoid ANY lawn tractor with the K46 Hydro, including the X350. Move up to something with a K56/58 at least. Expect prices to be around $4,500 and up for a decent lawn tractor and more like $7,000 and for a decent garden tractor.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7084 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm VERY happy with my Kubota zero turn and I do several acres at times.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
A lawn tractor and a garden tractor are two different beasts that can look similar. A garden tractor is built heavy duty from the frame up. In your case either should do the trick. I have a lawn tractor ( craftsman 22 Hp.) for 18 years and it has served me well. A garden tractor can do more, some have a pto which can come in handy. I don't have a particular brand to recommend, but don't but a model from a big box store. The big box store models are a lesser grade whether it be a JD or Cub Cadet.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I know several people that have JD and love them, I have a Toro zero turn and it’s been nothing but great. I had a Cub Cadet and it was a piece of shit! The engine block cracked 2 months out of warranty. Cub Cadet wouldn’t do anything for me. Not discount on parts nothing.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I know several people that have JD and love them, I have a Toro zero turn and it’s been nothing but great. I had a Cub Cadet and it was a piece of shit! The engine block cracked 2 months out of warranty. Cub Cadet wouldn’t do anything for me. Not discount on parts nothing.

I love my toro timecutter so far....will run circles around my old craftsmen lawn tractor.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
For one acre you do not need a zero turn. If you want something that lasts with nothing more than regular maintenance then get a legit John Deere, Kubota or Toro. You will probably spend more than you expected but you will also (outside of a freak accident or bad luck) have a piece of equipment that’ll nearly outlast you.

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have less than 3/4 acres with a part that's a steep hill. I'm cheap when it comes to this type of thing. We first bought a Troy Built and it lasted 15 years with annual service. For the new one I went with a Cub Cadet, don't have the model handy but it was $1500.00 from Tractor Supply, less $150.00 sale and a military discount of $100.
00. Plenty of power for what I have and importantly it goes up the hill.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my neighbor moved in he just had to have a lawn tractor. After watching me mow twice as much ground in half the time, and having a blast doing it, he bought a zero turn and never looked back.

I have had several John Deere mowers and tractors, and I will never have another, because my JD Dealer (Atlantic Tractor) is the absolute worse dealer I have ever dealt with. They are geared towards the Ag Industry, and if you spend less than $100K they won't give you the time of day.

My zero turns are Grasshopper (Woods) and Bobcat, at 27 and 17 years old, respectively. Both shops are top rate.

So ask your neighbors who they like. The service department is the key, there are lots of quality brands.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have a JD lawn tractor that I bought used 5 or 6 years ago. It is probably 25 or 30 years old and still going strong. It has an engine built by Kawasaki.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I have less than 3/4 acres with a part that's a steep hill. I'm cheap when it comes to this type of thing. We first bought a Troy Built and it lasted 15 years with annual service. For the new one I went with a Cub Cadet, don't have the model handy but it was $1500.00 from Tractor Supply, less $150.00 sale and a military discount of $100.
00. Plenty of power for what I have and importantly it goes up the hill.

I mowed 1.5 acres on a hillside with my first CC that I bought from a dealer in 2007. It was shaft drive. I gave it to my son two years ago as I wanted a snowblower and they no longer made one for that model. I bought another CC, the XT3 Enduro to replace it, also from a dealer.

The only thing I've replaced on either machine is filters, oil, and belts. I have no complaints.

If you aren't doing ground work, a Cub Cadet (from a dealer) is an option to consider.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a Cub Cadet Ultima (zero turn) with 42" deck. Its speed is faster than a tractor and it can haul a trailer. You can get a Kawasaki or Kohler engine (I'd recommend Kohler). As mentioned, go to a dealer as you'll pay the same amount if you go anywhere else.

I bought the 54" last year and it's terrific.

Posts: 78 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 50 acres but only mow a fire break and between the trees in the living snow fence and windbreak, ~1000 trees.

I recommend a John Deere. Buy it from a JD dealer, not a big box store because the warranty from the dealer is much better. Cost more, so what.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your budget for this project? The durability of John Deere mowers 25 years ago doesn't have much to do with the durability of today's models. As mentioned above, the K-46 Hydro is pretty light duty. All of the lower priced models are pretty frail when compared to the ones years ago. I have a very nice John Deere garden tractor but for $12,000 it darn well ought to be. ridewv's post above has it right on price estimates. What are you dragging to keep down the weeds? Zero turns get stuck very easily which is not a problem as long as you have something around to pull them out with and don't mind dealing with it.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post