SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Progressive Snapshot Question?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive Snapshot Question? Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
Found the best insurance option after sitting with my insurance broker and Progressive was the best option in my case because it offered discounts with my homeowners as well as auto, which is an affiliate of Progressive so I get a rate reduction from both. In my situation here on the southeast coast of Florida being so close to the water, insurance markets are extremely limited since Hurricane Andrew in 92'. Many insurance companies won't even write policies for my area, and the few that do, well, the rates aren't cheap, so I'll take whatever discounts I can.

My question about the Progressive snapshot device is what do members that use them think? Pro's and Con's? My wife does not want one for her SUV, but my car mostly sits in a garage and has extremely low mileage. Purchased in late 2013 it now has only 3,212 miles on it. I don't drive but very little but always want to have the car if and when I need it for Dr apps, around town needs, and/or any kind of emergency. Since I meet the criteria for the snapshot device and don't drive like a madman, I can see it as a plus. I do wonder about things like getting up to speeds on Xpressway ramps having a V6 with a good amount of pedal, if this will be a problem with recording acceleration. Any comments from snapshot users?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
When those things came out a few years ago I asked my independent agent about them and he said he tried it and being a conservative driver thought he would get a reduction on his policy. Turns out it actually went up!
I never tried it .....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddies wife has a version of it, not sure what company it is. She somehow thinks she is getting a discount on her insurance by letting her phone track her every move. She will get speed and braking alerts on her phone. She claims you can hit a button to "ingore" the alert if you say your passenger in a vehicle and not driving and it will not record the event.

Im highly suspect.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I don't drive like a wild man but I wouldn't willingly allow anyone to spy on me or monitor my every move. But... I don't Facebook either. Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
When those things came out a few years ago I asked my independent agent about them and he said he tried it and being a conservative driver thought he would get a reduction on his policy. Turns out it actually went up!
I never tried it .....

Thank you for the reply. I did get a discount applied already for ordering the device. I had done some initial searching on the net prior to asking about the device thru my broker. The reviews were mixed. I did ask the broker should I not live up to the devices perimeters i.e. braking, and/or accelerations, what would be the outcome of my insurance rate. The device will be reviewed in six months and if I do not meet their snapshot criteria, I will lose the initial discount that was applied at the time I took the policy. Which I think is fair, and believe it's worth a shot. I would not loose the policy, just the discount for the device. My only real concern is some folks have mentioned that braking with the device is sketchy at best, how you apply the brake and how fast to come to a complete stop. Additionally, as mentioned, acceleration on xpressway ramps ( I use them frequently) but haven't any idea of the devices perimeters yet. I just thought I'd inquire from those that use them before I plug mine in. If I were to loose the discount it would amount to $35 on the 6mo premium, or $70 a year. But if I can save money without altering the way I normally drive too much, I say, why not! I'm not in any hurry these days being 65 and retired. Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I don't drive like a wild man but I wouldn't willingly allow anyone to spy on me or monitor my every move. But... I don't Facebook either. Razz

^^^^^This!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I did it when I switched to Progressive several years ago. At the time, it was a limited-duration thing - you plug it in, use it, then send it back after X months. IIRC, it's just a fancy accelerometer, doesn't spy with GPS. It beeps when you are "bad", so you can learn how to drive to please it. I drove conservatively, sent it back when the evaluation period was over, and got a discount. So, I was OK with it.

Not sure if they changed their program or not since then, but the discount still shows up on my renewals.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
We had it when we switched to Progressive and didn't get an extra discount. The device is very sensitive. I wasn't worried about someone looking at my driving habits. Our insurance has gone down every year.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
It is a way for the company to check your mileage which is they key to your insurance cost.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
It is a way for the company to check your mileage which is they key to your insurance cost.

Though most companies allow for a decent discount for low mileage, not all do as I found out when checking. Progressive does, and since my car was already inspected the other day, they'll find I'm currently averaging around 1k a year, and it sits in a garage most of the time. I'm not at all concerned about them tracking me either...if they do. The snapshot device will be used for six months and then if I cannot meet their criteria they take away the $35 discount. Progressive is still the cheapest with the best coverage so far.

Regards, Will G.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
They'd revoke my license if I had one of those. Razz

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Progressive is still the cheapest with the best coverage so far.

It pays to shop. I was with Liberty Mutual for many years without shopping around at renewal time.
Then, I shopped it about a year ago... and for me it was Farmers.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

^^^^^This!

+1

What's next, a voluntary alcohol sniffer device or hooking into the "Attention Assist" feature to see if you tend to nod off? No surprise, Big Brother wants you to let him watch you!

You might be able to save more than the privacy intrusion discount by switching insurers. Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm right up the street from you in Pompano Beach. I used the snapshot about 5 years ago or so when I switched to progressive. Their car insurance was cheaper than my alternatives without the discount. I don't drive a lot because I travel a lot (9-10k miles a year). They made me put it in for 30 days I think and they made me keep it in another 30 days because I was on a trip for 14 of those 30 days. Anyways, driving normally I ended up getting the full 30% discount. My insurance rates have stayed just about the same for all 5 years. One year it's $20 less, another $20 more, but it hasn't increased 15-20% every renewal like Allstate did to me. I have perfect credit and a perfect driving record and am a 40 year old single male. There are really no cons, you either get a discount or don't.

The snapshot measures 5 criteria I think it was. Hours you drive, if you drive midnight-4am you get dinged. Miles you drive over the course of the month. Heavy acceleration and Heavy braking (which is pretty liberal). You'd have to give it more than 2/3 throttle or stop hard enough to require a seat belt to trigger it. I forgot what the 5th item is, I think vehicle speed. For the little amount of miles you drive, I'd do it and just drive carefully.

It has NO GPS so it does not spy on you!!! It simply records the same data your vehicles computer does, speed, acceleration percentage, braking percentage etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll get one for my toilet. Let em monitor that! Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'm right up the street from you in Pompano Beach. I used the snapshot about 5 years ago or so when I switched to progressive. Their car insurance was cheaper than my alternatives without the discount. I don't drive a lot because I travel a lot (9-10k miles a year). They made me put it in for 30 days I think and they made me keep it in another 30 days because I was on a trip for 14 of those 30 days. Anyways, driving normally I ended up getting the full 30% discount. My insurance rates have stayed just about the same for all 5 years. One year it's $20 less, another $20 more, but it hasn't increased 15-20% every renewal like Allstate did to me. I have perfect credit and a perfect driving record and am a 40 year old single male. There are really no cons, you either get a discount or don't.

The snapshot measures 5 criteria I think it was. Hours you drive, if you drive midnight-4am you get dinged. Miles you drive over the course of the month. Heavy acceleration and Heavy braking (which is pretty liberal). You'd have to give it more than 2/3 throttle or stop hard enough to require a seat belt to trigger it. I forgot what the 5th item is, I think vehicle speed. For the little amount of miles you drive, I'd do it and just drive carefully.

It has NO GPS so it does not spy on you!!! It simply records the same data your vehicles computer does, speed, acceleration percentage, braking percentage etc.

Thanks for the info Jimmy. Insurance rates where I'm located east of US 1 and so close to the bay put me in a very risk market, both home and auto, not to mention being Miami in general. My insurance broker is a good friend of my family and we spent several hours discussing my insurance needs, both home and auto. It seems that my homeowners policy is with an affiliate of Progressive so I get a discount on both and that adds up for me. Especially being on a fixed disability income with absolutely zero possibility of earning additional monies due to health. Going with Progressive just for the auto insurance, I'll be saving $979 a year, and thats nothing to shake a stick at in my situation. In the days to come, I'll be working with him on my homeowners policy and an updated 4-point inspection since I have a new roof and a few other upgrades since I last renewed my homeowners.

The snapshot is only $35 discount for six months and if by some chance it doesn't work out and loose the discount, it won't be a deal breaker.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Thanks for the info Jimmy. Insurance rates where I'm located east of US 1 and so close to the bay put me in a very risk market, both home and auto, not to mention being Miami in general. My insurance broker is a good friend of my family and we spent several hours discussing my insurance needs, both home and auto. It seems that my homeowners policy is with an affiliate of Progressive so I get a discount on both and that adds up for me. Especially being on a fixed disability income with absolutely zero possibility of earning additional monies due to health. Going with Progressive just for the auto insurance, I'll be saving $979 a year, and thats nothing to shake a stick at in my situation. In the days to come, I'll be working with him on my homeowners policy and an updated 4-point inspection since I have a new roof and a few other upgrades since I last renewed my homeowners.

The snapshot is only $35 discount for six months and if by some chance it doesn't work out and loose the discount, it won't be a deal breaker.

I'm in the same housing situation. My House is 1/2 a mile from the beach and a 1/4 mile from the Intracoastal waterway. Hurricane protection (windows/doors/every opening) dropped my insurance from $6800 year to $2800 year instantly, they paid for themselves in a few years. I bought the house as a foreclosure in 2013 and the previous idiots did Dade County approved folding shutters over 1968 awning windows mind you, garage door, and missed 1 door and 2 window openings so NO discount (you need every single opening dade county approved hurricane). I did the front door, picture window and kitchen window with Dade County approved (PGT) and 45 days later when they were installed and had another inspection done, it dropped the price of my insurance. I did the rest of the windows a year later when I could afford to which made a huge difference on noise and security. A new roof dropped it also but not nearly as much, I think it was $250 a year (I did the roof after the windows)......I'm with Universal Property and Casualty insurance for my house. I was with People's trust prior to that, until they stopped insuring me (for no reason). The amount insurance is here is ridiculous considering our last hurricane was back in 2005. Meanwhile both of our houses have probably stood up to a dozen or more hurricanes over their life with no major damage and yet they keep raising rates. LOL

I've never had a claim with Progressive, but am very happy with progressives rates, which have stayed the same for 5 years. I drive a 2008 Ford Expedition which I've had since new. Paying $469 for 6 months with a $500 deductible 100/300 liability, full coverage and rental car coverage etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
My insurance guy, who is a good friend, tells me to never let an insurance company track your activity whatever it is. I take him at his word Smile

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. It's given me some new perspectives, or at least I'm doing some rethinking. I did some more reading on the web about them, especially many opinions. One main thing that keeps coming up is the braking to a stop and alerts for the miles driven. I meet all the other criteria, and haven't any problems with GPS tracking. Along with my phone and in dash onboard navigation I'm sure tracking me wouldn't be a problem to anybody if they wanted this kind of information anyway. Since I drive so rarely these days and just a lot of short trips, there's more of a chance of getting brake alerts. With some long distance driving it would change this ratio of miles driven to potential brake alerts. I think for me around town here in traffic there's more of a chance of brake alerts especially with a good amount of golf carts on the road here, they're permitted on the roads here where I live. Even outside of golf carts and/or traffic here in my town, braking seemed to be an issue with many drivers. I think with a learning curve just to learn how to avoid the braking alerts the first six months, I may as well pay the $35 discount to have the device removed from my policy now, rather than carry that loss of credit with me as long as I have the Progressive policy in the future. The $70 a years not much. As is, just going with Progressive will save me almost $900 a year over my current auto insurance. So, thanks again for the good input folks.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
I put one in my car for 30 days. Ended up with a 35% reduction in my bill.

The only thing it dinged me for was braking too hard. I'm driving a 99 Trans Am with quite a few engine mods. But I also don't drive very far in it ever. I only average about 500 miles a year, and it is my daily driver.

And I did make a conscious effort to drive like a granny for the month that it was plugged in.

I think it only reports when the car is running, so you should be able to unplug it before you start the car if you are going to drive in manner that will give negative results. I did that a couple times and it didn't seem to pick it up.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post