SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SCOTUS Rejects Appeal of Maryland's AWB
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS Rejects Appeal of Maryland's AWB Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted
Anybody have an opinion of what they are waiting for, or are they just going to let this particular sort of ban roll?

quote:
Top court spurns challenge to Maryland assault weapons ban
Andrew Chung

5 Min Read

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court, which has avoided major gun cases for seven years, on Monday declined to hear a challenge backed by the National Rifle Association to Maryland’s 2013 state ban on assault weapons enacted after a Connecticut school massacre.
U.S. Supreme Court is seen in Washington, U.S., November 27, 2017. The Court, which has avoided major gun cases for seven years, on Monday declined to hear a challenge backed by the National Rifle Association to Maryland's 2013 state ban on assault weapons enacted after a Connecticut school massacre. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

The court turned away an appeal by several Maryland residents, firearms dealers and the state NRA association, who argued that the ban violated their right to keep and bear arms under the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment.

The justices sidestepped the roiling national debate over the availability of military-style guns to the public.

The case focused on weapons that have become a recurring feature in U.S. mass shootings including the Nov. 5 attack at a Texas church that killed 26 people, the Oct. 1 attack at a Las Vegas concert that killed 58 people, and the 2012 massacre of 20 schoolchildren and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, which prompted Maryland’s law.

Assault weapons are popular among gun enthusiasts.

The challengers, who had sued Maryland’s governor and other officials in 2013, appealed a February ruling by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia that upheld the state’s law. The 4th Circuit, ruling 10-4, said it had no power to extend constitutional protections to “weapons of war.”

Maryland’s ban outlaws “assault long guns,” mostly semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47, as well as large-capacity magazines, which prevent the need for frequent reloading.

Backed by the influential NRA gun lobby, the plaintiffs said in a court filing that semi-automatic rifles are in common use and that law-abiding citizens should not be deprived of them.

“The sands are always shifting with the Supreme Court,” Democratic Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh said. “I hope that this means they have reached a conclusion that they are not going to fiddle with assault weapons bans across the country.”

The Supreme Court last year left in place assault weapon bans in New York and Connecticut.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...ns-ban-idUSKBN1DR1SE

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 4th Circuit, ruling 10-4, said it had no power to extend constitutional protections to “weapons of war.”

What branches of military are using AR15s? Are they very common in war?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I guess weapons of war look scary, so that must be it. They have truly bought the EBR idea...

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 4th Circuit, ruling 10-4, said it had no power to extend constitutional protections to “weapons of war.”

That's just simply outrageous to me. Nearly every firearm ever made, including the ones available to the men who drafted the Constitution, was a "weapon of war."

This is all just a bit infuriating.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Was the rejection a ruling of the full court? Which justices were for and against the rejection?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Was the rejection a ruling of the full court? Which justices were for and against the rejection?

I think you will find that the Petition for Writ of Certiorari did not get 4 votes to accept.

The Supremes receive thousands of Petitions every year and can only deal with a tiny fraction of them.

quote:
The Certiorari Act of 1925 gives the Court the discretion to decide whether or not to do so. In a petition for a writ of certiorari, a party asks the Court to review its case. The Supreme Court agrees to hear about 100-150 of the more than 7,000 cases that it is asked to review each year.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If a militia is not allowed to bear a weapon of war, then of what use is a militia?

So tired of this -- the government has a conflict of interest here. They should not be allowed to make restrictions to bear arms. They should only penalize (heavily if needed) the use of arms used in criminal actions.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I'm not entirely broken up about this.

Remember - Gorsuch only replaced Scalia. We're still at a 4/4 split with no telling which way the swing vote will go (or who it will be for that matter).

It could have been a spectacular victory - or an equally spectacular loss at this point, particularly following Vegas.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Well, wouldn't the founding fathers been surprised! I didn't realize that muskets weren't a weapon of war.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I'm not entirely broken up about this.

Remember - Gorsuch only replaced Scalia. We're still at a 4/4 split with no telling which way the swing vote will go (or who it will be for that matter).

It could have been a spectacular victory - or an equally spectacular loss at this point, particularly following Vegas.

-Rob

This.

In the words of Alonzo Harris:

The conservative justices are biding their time to find the right case at the right time, with the right mix of justices on the bench, to ensure a solid unambiguous victory.

They want to avoid the risk of setting a bad legal precedent, as it's easier to create precedence than it is to override an earlier set.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Very disappointing.

At times I am content to let these liberal states run their own little pockets of tyranny as long as the Free States can continue practicing liberty.

But they never seem content to let us be. And they continue trying to push their bullshit 'weapons of war' narrative on the rest of us.

I hope the SC finds enough backbone in my lifetime to put this bullshit to rest.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Very disappointed The Court didn't take this case.

This is most certainly a Constitutional Issue that effects the entire nation. If this case doesn't qualify, I don't know what does.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't think the Supremes will be touching the second any time soon, if ever again. Too political. Maybe if there are a few more conservative (or liberal) judges, but not at the current makeup. Think they are content to leave it at the state level.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Personally I don't think the Supremes will be touching the second any time soon, if ever again. Too political. Maybe if there are a few more conservative (or liberal) judges, but not at the current makeup. Think they are content to leave it at the state level.

If they ever get a liberal majority, I fear they'll take the case and stick it to us.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
[QUOTE]The 4th Circuit, ruling 10-4, said it had no power to extend constitutional protections to “weapons of war.”

Wasn't the intent of the 2nd amendment to keep and bear weapons of war, current equivalent small arms that the government uses?

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thomas, Alito, and probably(hopefully) Gorsuch know they need five votes to overturn. They also know which justice/s might not get in line on this particular case. Assume three to overturn, four to uphold, and two in play. Roberts and/or Kennedy might not be playing ball on overturning an AWB right now. SCOTUS can hold off until there's a circuit split or a better lineup. I'd love for them to do what's right and what's required but four of them won't under any circumstance and Roberts has shown he'll do the gymnastics necessary to blow with the wind and Kennedy is in final stage legacy build mode.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
We need to get away from this 'weapons of war' bullshit and other Leftist red herrings.

It's the right of a person to defend oneself against tyranny in whatever form it takes. No restrictions.

This shouldn't even have to go to the SC. These laws shouldn't be on the books. The SC needs to drive a tops down effort to eliminate any law that is in conflict with rights or the Constitution. There is some much politically based bloat on the books it's ridiculous.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now the court is 4-4, plus Kennedy. Ginsburg is 84, Breyer is 79. All we need is Ginsburg to pass away or fall asleep too often, then the Supreme Court will come back and align better with the US Constitution. Soon it will be 5-4 or 6-3 in our favor.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
We need a similar challenge in a gun friendly circuit that contradicts the 4th Circuit opinion. That would force the SCOTUS to get off it's ass and do it's job.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Right now the court is 4-4, plus Kennedy. Ginsburg is 84, Breyer is 79. All we need is Ginsburg to pass away or fall asleep too often, then the Supreme Court will come back and align better with the US Constitution. Soon it will be 5-4 or 6-3 in our favor.

Better hope for the election of Roy Moore, as distasteful as that may seem to some.

Right now, it will be a close run thing, whether any replacements can be gotten on board before elections muddle things up. You can bet if the margin goes to 51-49, there will be some big egos even bigger.

It’ll be like my old classmates, Willie Makit, and Betty Wont.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post