SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Strange Twist On Flying With A Firearm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Twist On Flying With A Firearm Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
Flew Delta to Atlanta and back this weekend and when I picked up my suitcase in Atlanta. it had a large zip tie around it. Same thing when I got home. In both cases, I was able to retrieve the gun without cutting the tie

My knife was also in the suitcase and had the thing worked, it would have been difficult getting to the guncase.

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
wonder if the bag was on the verge of opening and they zip-tied it to keep it together

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
No, that's SOP now after the guy in Florida got his gun our of his bag at baggage claim and started shooting.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is actually Delta's new policy after the shooting in the baggage claim area.

When your bag comes off the plane and goes to the baggage claims office they do it in the back room when you arrive to pick up the bag. I watched the woman do it in Minneapolis when I went to claim my bag after coming back from a match.

I now carry a clipper in my carry-on that is capable of clipping the zip tie off. I stood right in front of the woman running the counter and cut the zip tie off and when she gave me a dirty look I just mentioned to her that legally they cannot be doing what they are doing because this is now an indicator to others in the area that I have a firearm and I walked away.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post