SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it OK to use an inch-pound torque wrench for foot-pound?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it OK to use an inch-pound torque wrench for foot-pound? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
With the proper conversion?

I've got a torque wrench (from an LMT rifle) that seems to be calibrated for inch-pounds.

I need to do 25 foot-pounds, however. With a quick internet search, it seems that the requisite 25 foot-pounds is 300 inch-pounds.

Can I just set my torque wrench to 300 inch-pounds and go, or am I missing something?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nope, it's that simple. Multiply foot-pounds by 12 to get inch-pounds and go for it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Nope, it's that simple. Multiply foot-pounds by 12 to get inch-pounds and go for it.
That will be fine as long as the wrench is rated for that high a torque.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Torque wrenches work best in the middle part of their range. If your 300 inch-pound wrench tops out at 300, I wouldn't do it. If your inch-pound wrench goes to 400, then setting it for 300 is fine.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Torque wrenches work best in the middle part of their range. If your 300 inch-pound wrench tops out at 300, I wouldn't do it. If your inch-pound wrench goes to 400, then setting it for 300 is fine.

This.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
What torque wrench in in-lb measurements goes to 300?

You use the smaller scale for smaller torque values to give better resolution below ~25 ft-lb.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mic drop, convo done.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

This.

I'm with these guys.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
He is exactly correct. I own four torque wrenches, two inch and two lbs wrenches, and this subject is the exact reason I have four. I actually need one more to fill one last hole in the work I do as a driveway home mechanic.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
What torque wrench in in-lb measurements goes to 300?

You use the smaller scale for smaller torque values to give better resolution below ~25 ft-lb.

There are lots of inch wrenches that go above 300, and just as many that go way below 300. There are torque wrenches to fit any need in all fields, it's just a matter of how much money you need to spend to get correct results, with the emphasis on the correct part.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post