SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you think of putting adverse information about (your) children on the ’net?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of putting adverse information about (your) children on the ’net? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I don’t have any offspring and I was a child a long time ago, but I’m always taken aback when I see parents complaining about their minor children on an open forum like this. The Internet didn’t exist then, but if it had and if my parents had bitched to the world about my attitudes or some sort of subpar performance rather than confronting me and keeping it in the family, I would have been livid. There were things that led to some (fortunately) temporary estrangements, but some of the things I see today could have easily led to a permanent rupture in our relationships.

But I wonder if I’m too much of a snowflake in that regard, and whether others agree with my opinions.

Question:
What do you think about exposing the bad parts of your children’s personal lives for the multitudes to see?

Choices:
It’s okay; they’re my kids.
It’s okay; they need to be tough.
It’s okay if they never know about it.
It’s okay if it’s the only way I can control them.
It’s not acceptable.
Other (please comment).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
My wife and I dwas by post anything about our children on the net.

No Facebook/Twitter/instagram etc. we ask our family not to post pictures with our children in them.

I was once a criminal defense attorney and saw how easy it was for preditors to obtain information about children to prey on. Good or bad, we avoid mixing the internet and our kids.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO it is a form of child abuse. Poor parenting and abysmal common sense are reflected in these ridiculous choices.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I guess it's what you say not that you say something.
Context is everything, IMO.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Two different things at play, IMHO.

If it’s just complaining about kids, that’s uncalled for.

If it’s asking for advice from others who have been in that situation, then it can be incredibly valuable. This forum alone probably has 10,000+ fathers who have experienced everything from the loss of a child, to divorce, to elopement and everything in between.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
...exposing parts of children’s personal lives for the multitudes to see?

Um, well. if they use anything that says Google on it. They already have. Facebook sells everybody's stuff to 62+ companies. Even figured out how to turn on the smart phone mic with a signal from any TV and send the recording to Facebook.

Unfortunately the pond scum goons that esdunbar is referring to have access to this information also.

You may consider parents who do this to the equivalent of the same idiots who back their truck out into the freeway. I have a dumb shit nearby that does this every morning. They didn't get hit last time, but...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
If it’s asking for advice from others who have been in that situation, then it can be incredibly valuable.

Good point, but for this poll, I am referring to just complaining with no obvious sincere asking for advice.

And I am also referring to adverse (bad) information, not information in general that’s available regardless of whether the parents deliberately reveal it to strangers who would not otherwise ever know it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Context is everything, IMO.

This ^^^^

Posting here about how my little genius blew up the toilet in my house by dropping a few M80s in it “cause he did not understand how something could burn under water” is not a big deal.

Posting pictures of his punishment in order to publicly shame or humiliate him is a different thing completely.

When I see the videos of parents shooting or smashing their kids electronics I think to myself that it might have been a great job of parenting if they had just kept the family business within the family.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think it's in poor form, but it's hardly 'child abuse'.

It's amazing how many good people are relatively poor parents - I'm not saying horrible people, but just bad at raising offspring to be responsible and self-sufficient.

Too much TV, too much shuffling the kids off on Grandma and Grandpa, you name it. 95% of kids are like dogs, they are what they are taught - so if your kid is a punk, it's likely your fault.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't put anything about my family nor myself on the net that is not cloaked in anonymity. You all have read stories about Mrs DF and the boys, but no one knows who they are nor what they look like. I have no FB/twitter/etc presence in spite of the ceaseless efforts of my extended family to get me to.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s nobody’s business. Praise in public, punish in private. The internet is forever.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Nar-Anon and Al-Anon programs would help a lot of people with this, regardless of whether their kids have chemical addiction issues.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it's in poor form, but it's hardly 'child abuse'.

Public humiliation was a favorite punishment used by the Puritans. Think about it for a minute.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
It’s nobody’s business. Praise in public, punish in private. The internet is forever.

Very much so.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't think much of it, but it's better, I suppose, than calling 911 because the kid won't go to bed.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I think it depends. First I would never mention names and would avoid saying anything truly derogatory.

But bitching about one of my knuckle headed sons losing his keys again or not picking up his socks that he left under the kitchen table, well that is fair game.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I don't - and there is a bad egg in my brood.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Very much so.

agree

i don't like 'reality' shows that feature kids either - they don't have achoice in having their lives exposed

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
When all the parents start posting rainbows and sunshine because my kids are back at school and I don't have to del with them anymore for 1/2 a day. That shit really irkes me. Your kids are going to read that and its going to hurt them. Your an asshole for writing it IMO.

I also have a tendency to love being with my kids so maybe I am the loser, but I think not.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post