SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    propeller aircraft drivers a question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

propeller aircraft drivers a question Login/Join 
posted
About slowing down after a landing.

Can the blades of a propeller somehow be rotated
to a reverse or negative pitch, that would aid in slowing the aircraft down ?

or can the rotation of all three blades be reversed to aid in the braking process?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Not a pilot, but yes they can be given negative pitch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...able-pitch_propeller

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. A variable pitch prop can provide forward or reverse thrust.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep. I am unaware of any that would do this in flight, but on the ground, its very effective.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well, when landing, several things slow you down - the rolling resistance of the gear and the runway

also, one might have flaps deployed as a way of increasing the rate of decent without increasing the speed

but yes, you can get variable pitch props and move them into a condition where they're not generating forward thrust and the rotating disk creates a drag force

I don't know of any GA that have a reverse pitch

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
now that you have provided the nomenclature needed , I have watched a few you tube vids that clear it all up.

thanks

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

No they won't. They will go to a flat or high rpm setting. they will not reverse. A reverse pitch prop can.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Turbo props will have a reverse pitch, but you use that on the ground only, never in the air. You can also put it in beta mode on the ground which is a flat pitch to slow down, which is just before going into reverse. You can even go backwards on the ground in reverse, depending on your engine manufacture.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Actually, MT is making a new prop for single engine aircraft that can now be reversed.

https://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/pro_rev.htm

Prior to this, this was only used on twin engine aircraft...at least that I'm aware of.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I've owned a few light airplanes. Yes, the commercial Twin types usually have reverse pitch. It's used kinda like 'reverse thrust' with a jet, assist with slowing.

As an owner, one often thinks about maintenance costs, like light brake use. I usually minimize brake use as able, though use them as called for.

Runway length and where you'd like to turn off factors in. There is often some type of headwind component. Even with a light plane one can 'Aero-brake' once below flying speed. That would be sorta like opening both doors on a car to get some 'barn door' effect.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does the pilot actually reverse the engines ? or do the just re pitch the blades ?
after touchdown.

is there a transmission involved like on an auto ?

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Depends on the aircraft.

We manufacture one which is a fixed pitch, one which is positive pitch only, and one which can go negative pitch with weight-on-wheels (very important discreet - lol).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
does the pilot actually reverse the engines ? or do the just re pitch the blades ?
after touchdown.

The blades simply reverse their pitch; the direction of rotation is not changed. As someone above said, there is a "Beta" setting in which the pitch of the blades is basically zero, neither positive (pull) or negative (push) and then there is revers pitch which is negative.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does a pilot have to get certification to fly planes w/vpb's?

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
after touchdown.

The engine, whether piston or turbine, does not reverse. It always rotates in the same direction.

Likewise, the propeller rotates in the same direction.

The simplest propellers are fixed pitch, usually either one-piece metal, or layers (laminated?) of wood. Think in terms of an old-fashioned bicycle with no gearing.

Next step with propellers, adjustable pitch. The blades are not one-piece with the hub, but rather the blades are separate pieces that fit into the hub, and the pitch angle can be adjusted.

Simplest of this type is ground-adjustable. Prior to engine start, the pitch of the propeller blade can be adjusted. Fine pitch will allow the engine to achieve higher rpm, kind of like being in a lower gear. Good for take-off and climb.

Coarser pitch will cause the prop to take a bigger "bite" of the air, think in terms of higher gearing for a vehicle. Not as good as fine pitch for take-off and climb, but once established at altitude, it's more efficient for cruise, in terms of speed and fuel consumption.

Next step in complexity are those props that can be adjusted while in flight. These have many variations. Older Bonanzas, for example, had electrically adjustable props. Newer props are typically adjusted via hydraulic actuation. Some older types require the pilot to adjust the prop each time a change is made in throttle setting. Newer types are "constant speed," meaning that they have a governor, so if a change is made in throttle, the pitch of the blades is changed automatically to maintain the same rpm.

Props on most multi-engine airplanes are able to "feather" -- with the engine stopped, the blades can be adjusted past the coarsest pitch, to be parallel with the air stream. This is used to reduce drag on an engine that fails in flight (note that the most common cause of engine failure is an instructor or examiner. Wink) I believe that some single-engine turboprops also have the ability to feather the prop.

Some props have Beta mode, as has been described by previous posters, is a flat (neutral) pitch.

Continuing past Beta, some props are able to go into reverse pitch, the blades going into a setting that causes the air to be moved in the direction opposite normal flight. This would be used for braking, during the landing rollout.

All of the variable pitch stuff described above is achieved by changing the angle of the propeller blade, where the blade fits into the hub. The engine never changes direction of rotation.

If you have a pilot friend, ask him / her to take you to a local airport and show you a few aircraft with different types of propellers. It's easier to understand when you can look at them, rather than read a description.

Stop by my local airport here, and I can show you some. Smile

Adding: I just thought about this and wanted to mention, helicopter rotors are more complex than airplane propellers. The pitch angle of the rotor blades is variable, and in fact can change constantly during each 360 degree rotation. I'm not a helicopter pilot; there are some here in the forum who can expand on this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

No they won't. They will go to a flat or high rpm setting. they will not reverse. A reverse pitch prop can.

Why the higher rpm when the prop goes into a flat spin? I always noticed the higher rpm when landing in a 207 and the prop went flat.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
does a pilot have to get certification to fly planes w/vpb's?

yes

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like I said before, a variable pitch prop can provide forward or reverse thrust. rscalzo is being ridiculously semantic. Some variable pitch props can go into reverse pitch and some can't. My statement was true then and its true now.

Nobody in aviation refers to a prop that can go beyond beta into true reverse pitch as a reverse pitch propeller, they call it a variable pitch prop. Reading wikipedia doesn't always mean much. Hamilton Standard refers to their propeller that goes into reverse pitch as a "variable pitch" propeller. They are the SME here. If they say its a variable pitch prop, take their word for it.

A flat pitch can produce a very fast rotation because it literally isn't taking much of a bite of the air. It has much less resistance to fight basically. In fact, one of the most dangerous things that a large variable pitch propeller can have happen is losing control of the pitch and the blade driving to a flat pitch. It can and has many times resulted in the loss of a blade followed shortly thereafter by the rest of the prop. Prop overspeeds are very dangerous.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Coolest thing to watch is a C-130 taxi in and then back itself into a hangar.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Reversing prop pitch to slow down in flight is not recommended

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post