SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Exterior doors with deadbolts: Does having keyed lock on knob/lever add any security or is it just a hassle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exterior doors with deadbolts: Does having keyed lock on knob/lever add any security or is it just a hassle? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, guys.
I think you've convinced my wife, and our updates will be simpler without the keyed lock on the levers. We're changing to levers partly for style, but also because my wife is having more trouble with tendons in her wrists.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
My 14# orange tabby cat can open levered doors.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So thumbs are not needed. I’ll tell my wife, thanks! Big Grin

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding like an old grump, see below.

"We live in a safe neighborhood;"

No such thing!

Overall lower crime rate, yeah, safe, noooooooooo!

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You’re right. If you are an outdoor cat you will be eaten by coyotes. There are rattlesnakes. And there are break-ins rarely but no home invasions or the like...yet.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SeaCliff:
I have the key type lock with turn knob on inside and the double cylinder lock on 2 sets of french doors.
I think the door knob one is more for a sense of security as all you have to do is break a glass panel and its defeated.

Use impact rated glass.
You can still kick it in but breaking glass is out.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Wouldn't having a locking knob and deadbolt help spread the force of a forced entry over a wider area and make it more difficult to force the door open?

Theoretically.

Of course the theoretical flip side being, your door jamb now has two holes drilled in it, making it weaker and easier to break.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post