SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Medical Assn: "Guns kill people..."
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Medical Assn: "Guns kill people..." Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Both of those last two cartoons are great. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Based on that criteria, shouldn't Doctors be listed as a threat to public health?

"Physician, heal thyself."
. -Luke 4:23

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As opposed to the doctors who actually do stuff.

I actually do stuff. Young docs use google to figure out your problem. If you visit a trauma center as I have as a patient, there are docs there that do stuff. Remember if you get shot do not go to the nice suburban hospital. They will have no idea what to do. Go to Cook County in Chicago or former Charity in NOLA. You might live. It is called level one trauma. Helicopters the whole shebang.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Following up on rOgue's post:
According to the Leapfrog Group, a 1000 people will die today due to medical-related errors.
http://www.leapfroggroup.org/

Physicians and healthcare providers should clean their own house first before they go after guns.

Posts: 114 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

One of the earliest studies they cited showed that, in Washington’s King County, 54% of all 743 firearms-related deaths that occurred between 1978 and 1983 took place in the home where the gun had been kept. Only two of these 398 deaths — not even 1% — were cases of an intruder shot during an attempted entry, and seven other people were killed in self-defense.

https://www.seattletimes.com/s...high-in-king-county/
http://www.kingcounty.gov/dept...P/firearm-facts.aspx

Meanwhile, in King County last year alone, 332 people died of opioid overdoses.

in 2015, 146 King County residents died from gun related causes (on avaerge in the US, that would be about 2/3 suicide, 1/3 Homicides) [my apologies for not finding data in the same year]

So the rate of opioid overdose deaths (332) is 6 1/2 times that of firearm murders (about 50 or so)

And the medical community has absolutely no responsibility for that.........

Deflect much?

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cars kill 40K+ Americans every year. Will the Doc ask if you own a car?
Funny they are OK with vehicles but not guns!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll consider giving up my weapons when doctors give up their malpractice insurance.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
No doubt squarely in favor, as was the AAP

My wife is no longer a member of the AAP because of their liberal hypocritical bullshit

As I understand it, though, the AAP has come out and stated that parents pushing this gender fluidity BS on their children are in fact committing child abuse.

Maybe there is some hope for them yet.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's encourage these folks!

According to a recent article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ), current membership in the AMA is about 15% of practicing physicians in the United States; down from a high of 75% in the 1950's.

In matters political or social it's just another empty box.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doctors refuse to admit their shortcomings because they bury their mistakes.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Physicians and healthcare providers should clean their own house first before they go after guns.

Truer words never spoken. NOW hold on, all of you ask your doctor about this gun stuff first and see what happens. That would be fair. this is not. I could care less if you were packing. However hospitals have rules about that shit and many doctors office have that sign. Sadly most docs are now WORKER BEES, like the rest of us. Hospitals push doctors around with their bullshit this is one.

I want each and every one of you to ask your doctor how he feels about the issue. Then make your decision. I already have. I am in healthcare and I could care less. I have CCW in office to deal with issues. I own my practice. Simple as that.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one in my family has ever been hurt, even accidentally, by a firearm. My wife has, however, been crippled by an incompetent surgeon. FU AMA!

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
Let's encourage these folks!

According to a recent article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ), current membership in the AMA is about 15% of practicing physicians in the United States; down from a high of 75% in the 1950's.

In matters political or social it's just another empty box.

Silent

Yep, they're just trying to be relevant. It's good that most docs see them for what they are. Fuck them. You know where the articles that have been rejected by the NEJM for publication ended up? JAMA. Fucking losers.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you got a BIG SETTLEMENT. Ask the lawyers here on medical malpractice. They should comment on this. Difference between shit happens{usual surgical complications}, vs doctor cutting off wrong leg.
Simple as I can make it for you. One gets zero, second get doctor license maybe, large settlement, write up in paper and maybe news. Still not compensation for lost leg.

You guys must not like doctors! I am shocked that the docs here are staying out of this. I have not read entire thread but saw that ORiental Redneck gave his two cents. I am waiting on the ER doc. Joking here.
My last comment on the subject. Promise.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You guys must not like doctors! I am shocked that the docs here are staying out of this. I have not read entire thread but saw that ORiental Redneck gave his two cents. I am waiting on the ER doc. Joking here.
My last comment on the subject. Promise.

I think Dusty78 is ER doc, and he already made comment on page 1. Wink

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
The AMA represents somewhere south of 20% of physicians. They haven't reported percentage as members in 5 years.

JAMA is junk mail. Physicians who haven't paid as members in many years still receive it so that they don't lose their postal status. Then put it in the trash.

This. And it is really the AALWMPWAC - the American Association of Left Wing Minority of Physicians Without a Clue, or more affectionately, "Association My Ass." The AMA has been singularly and conspicuously clueless, unhelpful, unrepresentative, irredeemably irrelevant and politically worthless to the vast majority (over 80%) of practicing physicians for a number of decades. Ben Casey and Dr. Kildare notwithstanding. But ask me how I really feel.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
"in Washington’s King County, 54% of all 743 firearms-related deaths that occurred between 1978 and 1983 took place in the home where the gun had been kept. Only two of these 398 deaths — not even 1%..."

This s was the "Protection of Peril" study from 1984. Its the course of the infamous claim that "person with a gun in the home is 43 times as likely to shoot someone in the family as to shoot a criminal. This "43 times" figure"is a favorite of the anti-gun crowd.
However "Of the gun deaths in the home, the vast majority are suicides. In the 43-to-1 figure, suicides account for nearly all the 43 unjustifiable deaths."
Then:
"Now, how about the self-defense homicides, which Kellermann and Reay found to be so rare? Well, the reason that they found such a low total was that they excluded many cases of lawful self-defense. Kellermann and Reay did not count in the self-defense total of any of the cases where a person who had shot an attacker was acquitted on grounds of self-defense, or cases where a conviction was reversed on appeal on grounds related to self-defense. Yet 40% of women who appeal their murder convictions have the conviction reversed on appeal. ("Fighting Back," Time, Jan. 18, 1993.)

In short, the 43-to-1 figure is based on the totally implausible assumption that all the people who die in gun suicides and gun accidents would not kill themselves with something else if guns were unavailable. The figure is also based on a drastic undercount of the number of lawful self-defense homicides."

Last, the chance of a car accident increases if there is an alcoholic in the house. That's a "high risk household." The study doe not take such risks into account. Houses with guns may have propel convicted if violent crimes, drug users, mental illness, and risk takers.

http://davekopel.org/NRO/2001/...llacy-of-43-to-1.htm

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I am one of a couple of ER docs here. I do not belong to the AMA, and to my knowledge, no one in my group of 24 does either. Haven't since I was a resident (when it was free and I didn't know better). Since then I get dues notices at home and at work requesting I send them upwards of $600 a year to call myself a member - fuck that, on top of their backstabbing us with the ACA and ridiculous gun control crap.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Next time someone talks to me about gun violence I'm going to ask them exactly what percentage of gun violence is caused by... violence.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
No one in my family has ever been hurt, even accidentally, by a firearm. My wife has, however, been crippled by an incompetent surgeon. FU AMA!

Frown
Many years ago my Grandma broke her hip. She was recovering and moved to another hospital to finish recovery and the Dr. there killed her, along w/ a few others if I recall.

Every household in my family has at least one firearm yet they have murdered no one.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post