SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Medical Assn: "Guns kill people..."
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Medical Assn: "Guns kill people..." Login/Join 
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More people are killed every year by medical mistakes than any other type of unexpected death. So, how about some articles about how the leading source of MRSA and other anti biotic resistant infections are Hospitals. Then there are the simple mistakes in treatment that result in fatalities, truth is there are "hospitals" out that that should not be permitted to treat anything more serious than a paper cut.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
... how about some articles about how the leading source of MRSA and other anti biotic resistant infections are Hospitals.

Oh, it's worse than that. At least in my personal experience. I would venture to say I know more people who've contracted an anti-biotic infection in hospitals, after going in for one-or-another treatment or procedure, than those who have not. By a wide margin.

TBH: I've become afraid of becoming sick or injured such that hospitalization is required mainly due to what seems to be to be the odds that, if whatever puts me there doesn't do me in, whatever I catch there will.

Put in the perspective of this thread: I'm far more fearful of hospitals than I am my fellow armed citizen. By a wide margin.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Where was the AMA on the ACA?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
No doubt squarely in favor, as was the AAP

My wife is no longer a member of the AAP because of their liberal hypocritical bullshit

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A doctor asks a bullshit question, he gets a bullshit answer.

Doc: (staring intently at his clipboard) "So, do we have any firearms in the home?"

Me: "I'm wearing a thong".

Doc: "Excuse me?"

Me: "I think I put it on backwards. It's a little tight."

Doc: "Your thong?"

Me: "Well ok, but run your hands under warm water first. I hate cold hands."

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

My wife is no longer a member of the AAP because of their liberal hypocritical bullshit

quote:

So we see the AMA is politically compromised.

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
doctors can look at whatever they want - we can figure out how to bury them financially and drive them out of business - if they're that stupid about this, do you really want to trust them as a 'doctor'

the AMA has never been interested in the truth - just dues

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
A doctor asks a bullshit question, he gets a bullshit answer.

Doc: (staring intently at his clipboard) "So, do we have any firearms in the home?"

Me: "I'm wearing a thong".

Doc: "Excuse me?"

Me: "I think I put it on backwards. It's a little tight."

Doc: "Your thong?"

Me: "Well ok, but run your hands under warm water first. I hate cold hands."

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
The www site has a link to the complete article, which is probably complete crap.

"Probably?" Guaranteed, with crap like this:

quote:
... in keeping with the tradition of JAMA and other research journals, Bauchner and his co-authors preempted such claims not with heated rhetoric but with with footnotes to studies that support their argument.

One of the earliest studies they cited showed that, in Washington’s King County, 54% of all 743 firearms-related deaths that occurred between 1978 and 1983 took place in the home where the gun had been kept.

That would almost certainly be Dr. Arthur Kellerman's thoroughly discredited "masterpiece." Thoroughly discredited, yet JAMA doctors keep trotting it out repeatedly.

Guess they figure a lie repeated often enough will eventually be believed. Though it seems, in this case, it won't. It seems Americans aren't as stupid as Kellerman and his colleagues believe them to be.

quote:
What’s more, among the fatalities that involved a firearm kept in the home, accidental deaths were 30% more common than self-protection homicides.

Note the not-so-subtle "reasoning." Accidental deaths vs. self-defence homicides. So self-defence uses that did not result in the death of the attacker didn't count?

Right.

quote:
Suicides involving firearms were 37 times more common than self-protection homicides.

An oft-regurgitated and just as frequently discredited statistic. Every study ever done has found no correspondence between suicides and firearms ownership.

quote:
A more recent study published this year in JAMA Internal Medicine found that Florida’s adoption of a “stand your ground” law, which broadened homeowners’ right to use lethal force in self-defense, was linked to an “abrupt and sustained increase” in homicides by firearm.

Homicides involving the death of perpetrators of crimes, right?

Cry me a river.

quote:
“What would happen if on one day more than 50 people died and over 10 times that many were harmed by an infectious disease in the United States?” they asked.

If they were people who provoked it in response to committing criminal acts I would think it a good thing.

quote:
The journal editors called on their fellow doctors to ask their patients about their ownership of guns, ...

If my doctor asks me about that I'll give him one opportunity to reconsider, after which failing to do so he will become my ex-doctor.

Immediately.

I have no problems with my doctor. I am always armed when I go there. The staff just smiles when they see it during various procedures, like EKG, etc.

I asked about it once, and their response was that they are used to seeing it because they have LOTS of cops coming there for treatment.

AMA has been controlled by libtards for many years and they are just trying to make hay because of that tragedy in Las Vegas.

They trot out those phony numbers every so often, trying to prove their point, or better said to convince the uninformed (snowflake?) portion of our society that it would all get better if we would just turn in our guns and consent to be good little serfs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The AMA represents somewhere south of 20% of physicians. They haven't reported percentage as members in 5 years.

JAMA is junk mail. Physicians who haven't paid as members in many years still receive it so that they don't lose their postal status. Then put it in the trash.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
The AMA represents somewhere south of 20% of physicians.
This is what the two docs I know remind me when I ask them about such 'studies'. I believe this is more of the loud minority, with the help of a corrupt and complicit media, attempting to speak for the entirety of the medical community.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

quote:

Quit both many years ago.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Not surprising - the AMA has been anti-gun for decades.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Remember all of those white lab coated docs in the rose garden during the ACA propaganda push? Yeah. They only lacked little note pads intently scribbling what Stampy Feet said to be a perfect reflection of the Norks.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Medical errors now third leading cause of death in United States

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.5c793da227c3

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
When I was 13 my best friend's dad took us duck hunting. It was the first time I had handled a gun, let alone went hunting. My own father had never owned or fired any firearm.

My friend's dad was a noted heart surgeon in Portland, OR. I believe he is rolling in his grave with all the BULLSHIT the AMA is spewing.

The good doctor also had the coolest dog EVER... Tracer; a black lab hunting-machine... and murderer without peer of garter snakes. Well actually he just played with them to death.

Posts: 4028 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My brother and I argue about guns from time to time. He once said, “They’re designed to kill people, that’s their purpose.”

I said, “Yes. What’s your point?”

Guns kill people. Yes. What’s your point? Better the BG than me.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Dear AMA,

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post