SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sienna 6 Speed Transmission Question..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sienna 6 Speed Transmission Question.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Its a 2011 and has a 6 speed transmission. I havn't taken the time in day light to read up on the dash shifter. It is in drive or overdrive where ever I go. Seems fine. At the bottom of the pattern are S D with a + and - sign. What is this for ? Sitting still with the engine running, I have shifted into both positions and it seems to work correctly. If it is for towing or climbing hills or down shifting, I havn't used it yet. If you own the Sienna, can you say what that gear selection is for ? Thank you.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
S is a manual shift mode. + is to shift up, - is to shift down. It can be used to place the Sienna in a specific gear for a specific purpose, as in downshifting on a long downhill grade to take advantage of engine braking and save the brakes from potentially overheating. Or, on an uphill grade if the transmission is hunting between 4th and 5th, you can set it in 4th and save a little wear and tear. In icy conditions you can start from 2nd with lower torque and prevent breaking traction easier.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I nearly got it but will need to read that a time or two again. Comparing what you posted to its pattern at the shift lever.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The shift lever will move to the left one notch to leave D and go into S, then bump it forward to + to up shift, backward to - to down shift. Shift lever goes back to the right to leave S and return to D.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
All right.. Wink I understand it now. I've pretty much been safe just driving it in D as there is only one short but steep hill I go up and down. I do give it some fuel climbing the hill as traffics road speed behind me is over the limit. Thanks again for the help.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
For 99.9% of situations you are likely to be in, D is where you want to be.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's 2005 Toyota Solara has this same shifting arrangement. When we were taking the car for a test drive at the dealer, we drove off but the darn car wasn't shifting! Limped back to the dealership where I was thoroughly embarrassed when they showed me how it works!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
We have a 2011 Sienna. Other than showing my wife what the + and - are for, we dont use it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
For most driving you'll just put it in D and leave it there. For descending steep grades with lots of curves, you can downshift a gear or two, or even three. If you want to tow a trailer, select the highest gear that doesn't leave the car "hunting" for the next gear down and leave it there.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your knowledge and advice. I knew it was normal driving in the D position as the vehicle sounds good and shifts smooth. I didnt quite understand those other shift positions. I wont tow anything with the van and there's no hitch on it. I really dont go past 60 on the big roads.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The other positions are just so you can feel cool while “manually” shifting until you add those killer rims to the minivan. Wink

D is definitely what you want.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post