SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Use a Stihl Cordless Chain Saw? Update Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Use a Stihl Cordless Chain Saw? Update Page 2 Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
...or any brand?

I have gas saws for larger jobs but I'm thinking of buying a battery one for quick trimming and to carry around in the UTV for cleaning up and trimming along trails. No gas, spark plug, or air cleaner to mess with as well as not having to start the thing all the time is appealing.

https://www.stihlusa.com/produ...tery-saws/msa200cbq/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I'd rather just get one of their small, trimming saws than deal with batteries.

I was going through this same dilemma for a Stihl hedge trimmer: gas vs electric cordless.

I ended up with the gas.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about getting the new Milwaukee M18 chainsaw, because I already have a bunch of M18 batteries. It's a 16" saw and from the reviews, it looks like it cuts as well as a little gas saw (at least as long as the batteries last).

One nice thing about electric vs gas for occasional use is you don't have to worry about the guts getting gunked up.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant residue from gas sitting in the tank or carb or engine.

More than once, I've used something, put it up thinking "I won't clean/drain/do whatever because I'm going to use it tomorrow," and then something comes up tomorrow, and then I don't come back to it for months.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son bought me the Ego electric chainsaw. It's fantastic. He bought the 5.0Mah battery, but I already had some smaller batteries so I used them. I get 13 cuts on a 12" fir tree before the 2.5 mah battery is drained. For what I want, it's perfect, but I don't burn wood, if I did I'd have the gas Stihl.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
An electric chain saw?

What's for dinner? Quiche?

Wink Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Mine works great!

Cut down a few trees. Charge the battery while drinking sweet tea. They also make an extendable pole saw that uses the same 40V battery and is the lightest most maneuverable pole saw I've had.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have gas saws for larger jobs but I'm thinking of buying a battery one for quick trimming and to carry around in the UTV for cleaning up and trimming along trails.

Sounds like it will be perfect for your intended use, and you have the bigger gas saw for anything else.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
My smaller gas, go-to saw, has been a Stihl MC250 (I think that's the number) with both 16" & 18" bars. I just like the idea of a battery saw to supplement the gas saws and recently mentioned the idea to the logger working on my property (expecting him to pooh pooh the idea). Surprisingly he said his go-to saw for smaller trees and limbing is his pro series battery Husqvarna saw (similar to the Stihl one I linked) and that's what really got me interested. My take is Husqvarna and Stihl are both good but I prefer Stihl simply because there's a dealer close by.

As much as I like the idea of a battery saw it's hard getting over the fact it'll actually cost more than a small gas saw.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been eyeing the new Milwaukee one myself. Has good reviews and I already own a plethora of M18 batteries.

Home Depot online has it with 2x 12ah batteries for $400.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posts: 309 | Location: Clackamas, OR | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Husqvarna 120i cordless (14") chainsaw last Spring.
Used it extensively 1 day this summer when I cut down and cut up 4 small (<8" diameter) trees.
Did it all on one charge.

For the amount of usage I can envision on my property, I didn't feel a larger 2-cycle model was needed.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I first considered Makita but after reading a number of reviews such as: https://www.protoolreviews.com...n-saw-shootout/5979/

narrowed it down to Husky or Stihl.

That's a good testimonial for the Husky C-Dubs.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has the Stihil electric along with several gas powered saws. He seems to be happy with it.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I think I've decided to pick up a Stihl MSA 200 (14" bar) with the 300 battery, charger, and an extra chain or two. Now to find one.....

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I like my Ryobi 40V chainsaw for when I'm in the brush and cutting an opening. That way I don't have to breath all the exhaust! The Ryobi equipment does a fantastic job for me.

Otherwise I prefer gas saws.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I've been thinking about getting the new Milwaukee M18 chainsaw, because I already have a bunch of M18 batteries. It's a 16" saw and from the reviews, it looks like it cuts as well as a little gas saw (at least as long as the batteries last).

One nice thing about electric vs gas for occasional use is you don't have to worry about the guts getting gunked up.

I have the M18 chainsaw. It's a powerful little beast. Suits me just fine. I also have a shitload of M18 power tools & battery's already, so it was a no brainier. Two thumbs up from me. Way up.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Nice hearing all the positive comments on battery saws.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

I have the M18 chainsaw. It's a powerful little beast. Suits me just fine. I also have a shitload of M18 power tools & battery's already, so it was a no brainier. Two thumbs up from me. Way up.

Excellent! I was waiting for someone to chime in who has one.

I’m a big M18 FUEL fan and when they started on the OPE line, I was very excited about the line trimmer (which is phenomenal for a battery powered trimmer!). Glad to hear the chainsaw is up to par. It’s definitely going on my buy list.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
My dad bought one. Useless. If you have a twig bigger than a pencil it sucked.

I would look into what they call a "pruning saw" it is balanced for one hand use as if on a ladder or a bucket. Small bar but good power. Can cut as large a branch as the length of a bar.

Stihl and Husqvarna make one... my dad actually got the Husqvarna instead of the stihl, I forget why.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Do you know the make and model of the saw your dad bought?