SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Korean karma box - winner jhe888
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korean karma box - winner jhe888 Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
As someone suggested recently, there may be a lot of people interested in parts of the world they will never visit themselves. So I would like to take the opportunity to help at least one of you experience some of the cool things I like about Korea.

I've been studying the country, culture, language and society for more than 6 years now as a linguist in the US Navy.

Based off who wins (dietary restrictions, how much spice you can handle Smile , kids at home who would enjoy candies, etc) I'll make up a box of good foods, odds and ends, and just cool stuff and send it your way USPS.

Only conditions:

Have 100 posts.
Tell me something distinctive about where you live currently. Educate me.
Be patient, if you win it may take me a bit to gather the items considering movement restrictions here due to COVID.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'm in. I lived in Korea for two years and my family loves Korean food.
I live in Northern Utah. Both places have similar latitude and longitude. But Utah is a dry climate and Korea has the humidity of a peninsula.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting. Count me in, thanks!

I live close to the oldest professional observatory in the USA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Well, I am from an Italian and Polish family so I have never had Korean food. But the more spices the better! I can eat hot peppers from the jar till tears run down my cheeks ( Of my face! Get your mind out of the gutter! ). So looking forward to the experience. And thanks!

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I am so in.

Of the 30+ different countries I visited, Korea and Isreal are the two I wasn't fortunate enough to visit (even if it were for 4 days. Lol

I live in San Diego and there's a little town in the mountains named Julian. There's Mom's apple pies there but the best part - Dudley's Bakery is on the way. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please include me in your experience karma.I live in the Midwest within 2 miles of the border of 2 other states and close to Hillsdale College.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: triggertreat,

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please add my name.
I live 52 miles from the east entrance to Yellowstone National Park.
Also where I live is the Buffalo Bill Center of the West.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
This is a great Karma. I live in Washington PA, about 30 mile for Pittsburgh. It was where Pony league baseball was invented and the home of the oldest county fair in the state of PA. I love Korean food, particularly Buldaak. One of the best Korean places in the area is pretty close. I can handle spicy food. Thank You for including me in this Karma.

Tom

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Please count me in, for my wife who is Korean. She grew up in Incheon. She moved to the states in her early/mid twenties.

Interesting things about where I live...

The Korean population is very small. As far as first generation immigrants, there are literally less than five. When we bought our home, little did we know, our next door neighbor is a Korean woman a few years younger than my wife, first generation immigrant.

We are an interesting part of the desert. The town in Cottonwood, AZ. It is dry, but we have a river and for the area, it’s pretty green around here. Hence it being called The Verde Valley.

Sedona and it’s beautiful red rocks are right up the road. What is pretty cool, if you take some back off roading roads to sedona, you see the brown dirt, you cross hard white limestone, and that transitions to the red sandstone. The geology is pretty fantastic.

We sit at an altitude of approx 3500 feet, but the peak of Mingus Mountain is only 35 minutes away by car. The peak is 7815 feet.

Thee is a slag pile in the center of the town. It’s the left over remnants from smelting. It’s fairly useless crap. It’s almost like volcanic glass, but more like stone. It’s very brittle and breaks easily. Someone came up with a great plan for it. They found a way to break it down into specific sized particles and sell it as sandblasting abrasive. At the rate they are selling it, the pile in Cottonwood will be gone by 2040. There is another pile in Clarkdale, and it makes the Cottonwood pile look tiny.
This whole area came to be, from mining. There are old smelter buildings that have been remodeled into businesses. They are quite the buildings as the concrete is over two feet thick and incredibly reenforced.
The mining company (originally Phelps-Dodge who sold out to) Freeport MacMoran still owns a lot of land in the Verde Valley. They control access to a lot of it now, which is a shame. Some dumbass drown in Pecks Lake and the family filed a lawsuit. So Freeport solved the issue by closing off public access to their land.

When you buy a home or property in the Verde Valley, you may own the land, however Freeport MacMoran owns the mineral rights. Crazy to think that you can own a piece of property, but the dirt isn’t really yours.

There are thousands of interesting facts about my town I could sit and tell you for hours.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to be in!
I like Korean food!

Did you know Las Vegas, NV is sometimes referred to as the "9th Hawaiian Island"? Besides a large Hawaiian population here, there is a huge amount of tourism from Hawaii to here. There are little Hawaiian restaurants all over town and some really good Hawaiian food can be had in Las Vegas, NV.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Sound like a great karma giveaway. Do not enter me as I spent 1969 at Camp Sabre/Munsani (5/38Field Artillery 105mm) just south of the Imjim River. Spent some time on the north side of the river as well as inside the DMZ fence. Once was 3ft from the actual white cloth tape stretched between metal fence post seperating North and South Korea while being watched with binoculars and rifle scopes. Probably a good chance I would have been shot had I taken a few steps and crossed past the cloth tape. Enjoyed my time and travels both in uniform as well as street clothes. I pass my chance to someone else. I now live in southeastern Louisiana. .................................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1996 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sacramento Johnson:
I'd like to be in!
I like Korean food!

Did you know Las Vegas, NV is sometimes referred to as the "9th Hawaiian Island"? Besides a large Hawaiian population here, there is a huge amount of tourism from Hawaii to here. There are little Hawaiian restaurants all over town and some really good Hawaiian food can be had in Las Vegas, NV.

Spent the last 4 years in Hawaii, never knew why they love LV so much. Asked many of them and they jutssay they like it...many go EVERY year

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd love a chance. I live in Houston where Texas beat Santa Anna and won independence from Mexico.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, please. I now like in the Desert SW, but spent a fair amount of time in Thailand and Vietnam. I love hot and spicy foods, but have no experience with Korean food.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Please enter me, I live 30 minutes from a Korea Town area (Annandale, VA), but other than Korean BBQ, I've not tried much.

If I do win, no Kimchi please.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Please add me in. I live in Friendswood Texas and it is a town founded by the Quakers in 1895, hence the name.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Karma! Please add me to the list.

Northwest Arkansas contains the highest population of Marshall Islanders outside of the Marshall Islands. It can be traced back to one Marshallese guy back in the 1980s, John Moody, who got a job working for a Tyson Foods poultry facility in the area, and then sent for his family, who sent for their family and friends, who then sent for their family and friends, etc. etc. There are now around 15,000 Marshallese who live in the area.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
my neck of the woods got to 121°, last sunday. it's the highest ever temperature ever recorded in Los Angeles county history.

thank you for the chance

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I live in the green chile capital of the world- New Mexico. The state motto is "Red or green?", which refers to the question you'll be asked in most New Mexican restaurants. They both are the same chile, green when unripe, red when ripe. The flavor completely changes. There are also multiple varieties that have different heat levels and sizes. Green chile goes great on cheeseburgers, pizzas, and many other things. Red is a stronger flavor that goes well on eggs, slow cooked pork (called carne adovada), and burritos or enchiladas.

Anything I can use to make kimchi would be awesome! My neighbor when I lived on base was from South Korea. She taught me the proper way to make kimchi at home.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please enter me in the karma. I live in the middle of the country (Iowa) and we recently had a derecho weather event here.
Google it, it was very large and destructive..

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post