SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I-85 in Atlanta collapse
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I-85 in Atlanta collapse Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket72:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Why is the federal gov't (aka tax payers in the other 49 states in addition to Georgia) paying 90%? Atlanta people set Georgia DOT crap on fire and it collapsed the bridge.

Because it is a federal highway with an ~250,000 car traffic count/day?
According to GA DOT's website, the average annual daily traffic count for I-85 at:
  • the Alabama border was 38,900 per day.
  • the SC border was 47,000 per day.

Therefore, why are the feds paying 90% instead of 20%?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    Why is the federal gov't (aka tax payers in the other 49 states in addition to Georgia) paying 90%? Atlanta people set Georgia DOT crap on fire and it collapsed the bridge.

According to GA DOT's website, the average annual daily traffic count for I-85 at:

• I'm sorry, how do the numbers for the two state lines matter exactly? If GDOT estimates roughly 243,000 vehicles use this section of I-85 daily, why would the desolate state line estimate matter? I've been on I-85 heading in and out of AL, as well as in and out of SC, they have 0 relation to the section that is missing here in Atlanta. It is part of a connection of 85/75/400/285. Those all feed a huge amount of traffic daily.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by modestglock26:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

• I'm sorry, how do the numbers for the two state lines matter exactly? If GDOT estimates roughly 243,000 vehicles use this section of I-85 daily, why would the desolate state line estimate matter? I've been on I-85 heading in and out of AL, as well as in and out of SC, they have 0 relation to the section that is missing here in Atlanta. It is part of a connection of 85/75/400/285. Those all feed a huge amount of traffic daily.
    My point was about the federal gov't paying 90% when the local traffic is 80% and interstate (i.e. federal) traffic is 20% of the 243,000 vehicles per day.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

My point was about the federal gov't paying 90% when the local traffic is 80% and interstate (i.e. federal) traffic is 20% of the 243,000 vehicles per day.

So none of that traffic in that area of connected highways leaves GA via 75 to TN or FL, nor do they connect to 285 to leave on I20?

With Hartsfield being such a busy airport for domestic and international flights, you'd probably see a nice chunk of your 90% not being locals to this state.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

So none of that traffic in that area of connected highways leaves GA via 75 to TN or FL, nor do they connect to 285 to leave on I20?
    You could Google it yourself as you are also connected to the Internet, and it's the very first result. The answer is the same - Atlanta is a big, sprawling, multi-county metropolitan area and the supermajority of traffic going over that bridge is Georgia traffic not federal traffic so the feds paying 90% is ridiculous.

I live in a big, sprawling, multi-county metropolitan area and wouldn't expect the other 49 states to pay much if we lost a bridge on I-10 or I-45.

thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    Enough multi-quote and we can bridge it ourselves! Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    The Feds pay 90% so they can impose requirements, specifications, noncompliance with which gets your federal funding cut off, and nobody wants that!

Moreover, it is proof, if any were necessary, that your Congressman is an effective go-getter effectively serving the needs of his constituents.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Wouldn't it have to do with the way taxes are collected and the fact that Interstates are often federally funded roads? The higher portion of tax on fuel is federal.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
    The higher portion of tax on fuel is federal.
    That is not true except in 4 states. In 46 states, including Georgia, the state motor fuel tax is higher than the federal (18.4 cpg).
    image upload no compressioncertificity.com

Jallen's hypothesis is the most plausible.

Festina Lente
    Picture of feersum dreadnaught
    posted Hide Post
    Re-opening on Monday, 1 month ahead of schedule.

Nice job - earned their incentive pay.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US...epair/2711494430948/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of rangeme101
    posted Hide Post
    All the signs this morning said all lanes open on 85N.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
    The higher portion of tax on fuel is federal.
    That is not true except in 4 states. In 46 states, including Georgia, the state motor fuel tax is higher than the federal (18.4 cpg).

Jallen's hypothesis is the most plausible.

And the nice graphic is as of January 2017, leaving out the additional $0.12 per gallon recently passed in CA ($0.20 on diesel). It's supposed to be okay though because they are actually going to use these funds to maintain the roads instead of stealing them for other projects like they've done with the existing gas taxes. Only in Taxifornia...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post