SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I-85 in Atlanta collapse
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I-85 in Atlanta collapse Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Where are the 9/11 conspiracy theorists that always tell us that fire can't bring down steel (and concrete) structures? Roll Eyes

Posts: 473 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I was curious about how/why, so I asked my dad (who is a civil engineer and whose dad was a concrete contractor) how concrete reacts to heat/fire. He said overpasses are under constant compression, since concrete is super strong under compression, but weak under tension. Often times, there are compression cables beneath bridges and elevated roadways like this, and if those weaken, and/or the rebar heats up and loses tensile strength, it would fail under the weight and loss of compression on the concrete.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Link

3 in custody in connection with I-85 fire, bridge collapse

State investigators arrested three people Friday in connection with a fire that caused the collapse of a heavily traveled section of I-85.

Jay Florence, deputy commissioner of the state Department of Insurance, which includes the fire marshal’s office, identified the three as: Basil Eleby, charged with criminal damage to property; Sophia Bruner, charged with criminal trespass; and Barry Thomas, charged with criminal trespass.

“We believe they were together when the fire was set and Eleby is the one who set the fire,” Florence said.

Authorities gave few details about how they identified the suspects. However, Florence and Glenn Allen, an insurance department spokesman, said investigators filed the charges after interrogating the three Friday afternoon. All three were taken to the Fulton County jail.

Florence said officials do not believe anyone else was involved in setting the fire, which quickly engulfed construction materials stored beneath the interstate at Piedmont Road. Allen said the charges could be “upgraded” as investigators develop more evidence.

Florence declined to say how the fire was started. However, he said the suspects used “available materials” at the site.

All three may have been homeless, Florence said, although it is not clear whether they had lived at the site beneath the highway.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

All three may have been homeless, Florence said, although it is not clear whether they had lived at the site beneath the highway.

I guess they aren't homeless any longer...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I guess they aren't homeless any longer...

Nope. And I imagine they'll all be spending much more than 60 Days In.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
It was many dozens of spools of pvc pipe.

They just ran the homeless camp off under there.

And Marzy nails it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
We have a friend that works for DOT.
He told me they store road flares under there too.
SO speculation is they used road flares to ignite the plastic.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Seems kinda like a bad idea in hindsight, doesn't it?

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
So, it wasn't a missile?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
So, it wasn't a missile?

Bush did it so we can declare war on the homeless and steal their grocery carts.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Mister President.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/loca...ouse-visit/512343112

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Very nice, Mister President.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/loca...ouse-visit/512343112

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WKz0nWNti7w" width="420"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Class act.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
All this while the defense attorneys crawl out from under a rock to defend the guys (and get their names in the news because it's a high profile case) that caused it.
And for free too.
I would like to see Trump continue this and also highlight the capitalists and workers that were able to repair the damage in less than 60 days.
That would get the lefties pants(suits) in a wad.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
All this while the defense attorneys crawl out from under a rock to defend the guys (and get their names in the news because it's a high profile case) that caused it.
And for free too.
I would like to see Trump continue this and also highlight the capitalists and workers that were able to repair the damage in less than 60 days.
That would get the lefties pants(suits) in a wad.

Everyone is entitled to competent counsel. I hope they have the best lawyers available. When the verdict comes down, there will not be any reason for appeal.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Amazing how fast people can work when professionals are involved.
And Philadelphia is about to accept bids to rebuild the M.O.V.E. houses.

State officials have announced that rebuilding the collapsed section of Interstate 85 in Atlanta will cost up to $16.6 million.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports http://on-ajc.com/2oupcnv that the Georgia Department of Transportation has set a June 15 deadline for the completion of the new I-85 bridge, although no official timetable was announced.

GDOT construction director Marc Mastronardi said at a news conference Tuesday that the federal government is expected to pay 90 percent of the costs.

Mastronardi says the demolition of the collapsed bridge, which was set ablaze March 30, costs $1.6 million and construction of the new bridge costs $11.9 million. The estimate includes $3.1 million in incentives for contractor C.W. Matthews to complete the work before June 15, although it must complete the project by mid-May to get the full amount.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireS...a-cost-166m-47024761

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Why is the federal gov't (aka tax payers in the other 49 states in addition to Georgia) paying 90%? Atlanta people set Georgia DOT crap on fire and it collapsed the bridge.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
The homeless guy was from Houston. Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Why is the federal gov't (aka tax payers in the other 49 states in addition to Georgia) paying 90%?

Maybe because it is an Interstate?

In the I-495 "tilting bridge" issue in Wilmington a few years back, Delaware paid about a million of the $43 million cost. The Feds picked up the rest.

Although Delaware DelDOT claims to be attempting to recover some of the cost, drawing up a demand for insurance coverage details from those potentially responsible for damaging the span.

http://www.delawareonline.com/...idge-legal/25849097/

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Why is the federal gov't (aka tax payers in the other 49 states in addition to Georgia) paying 90%? Atlanta people set Georgia DOT crap on fire and it collapsed the bridge.

Because it is a federal highway with an ~250,000 car traffic count/day?

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post