SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I-85 in Atlanta collapse
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I-85 in Atlanta collapse Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Gonna make my life hell for a while. I'm a recruiter here in town. Alpharetta to Downtown and reverse is a lot of the recruiting I do. Brutal.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I'm not a structural engineer, so would someone please educate me on how burning PVC can cause an entire section of overpass to drop? Thanks.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Extreme heat damaging the concrete and causing the rebar to heat up, expand, and then the concrete 'pops'.

It wasn't a little fire:

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
I'm not a structural engineer, so would someone please educate me on how burning PVC can cause an entire section of overpass to drop? Thanks.

Heat?

It doesn't look like it was a few pieces of PVC, but instead a pile of it. I expect it burned really hot, and for a long time.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
That is going to take years to repair.

I don't think so. Several years ago a similar thing happened in Birmingham. A fire on an elevated portion of the interstate through downtown B'ham caused a section of the interstate to collapse. A contract was awarded for the repairs, with an estimated time of 60+ days. But the contractor worked 24hrs/day and had the repairs completed in just over 30 days.

Probably correct.

I was going on the images I saw yesterday and did not see the view from the air.

Those looked a lot worse than what that shows.

And for "fast repairs", I have seen it done, when hurricane Opal took out a mile of Hwy 98 on Okaloosa Island, and damaged significant sections of more than 3 miles total, contractors came in and repaired it in just a few months.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It was many dozens of spools of pvc pipe.

They just ran the homeless camp off under there.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Helicopter pilot's video from this morning shows it without the smoke and fire, now - that's crazy.

https://twitter.com/mckayWSB/s...s/847795721885683712

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
these spools are what burned:

this is the section that collapsed:

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks. Wouldn't it be a bit suspicious for a stored pile of PVC to ignite? Shouldn't that take a fair amount of high and/or long term ignition?

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Well, it wasn't spontaneous if that's what you're saying. Wink

FBI saying it wasn't terrorism based on what they know.

But they never said it wasn't arson.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
OK, thanks. Wouldn't it be a bit suspicious for a stored pile of PVC to ignite? Shouldn't that take a fair amount of high and/or long term ignition?

Don't know the original source of the flames. Here is what is believed to be the earliest picture of the flames. You can already see the thick black smoke accumulating under the bridge. Not sure if that is the PVC burning or something else.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Back in the late '80s, a twelve lane elevated section of I-78 in Newark NJ buckled and partially collapsed due to a fire beneath it.
Working around the clock, they were able to reopen most of it in under 4 months. So, it can be done, as long as somebody finds the necessary $$.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The I-495 bridge over Christiana River began tilting due to compacted soil. In 2014 the shutdown affected the entire eastern seaboard's traffic pattern. At first Delaware was talking about "indefinite" closure, possibly two years. It ended up being a bit under three months.

In March 1996 I-95 through Philadelphia closed due to a massive tire fire under the bridge. The contractors finished repairs in about six months. Although I cannot find reference to the completion date, I recall it was before Labor Day, and a BIG bonus was paid for speedy rebuilding.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Have the zombies arrived yet?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Have the zombies arrived yet?

we think they're who started the fire...

posted Hide Post
So, how will this affect visiting the NRA meetin/show later in April? I was planning to come for a day. Will be driving in from Greenville, South Carolina.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by batex:
So, how will this affect visiting the NRA meetin/show later in April? I was planning to come for a day. Will be driving in from Greenville, South Carolina.

by then traffic patterns will start to normalize to the alternatives. your best bet will likely be I285 down the east side to I20, and then into the city. plan your day to avoid rush hour traffic. get here the night before and get a hotel.

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Could those rolls belong to DOT, they look like some stuff I have seen on road construction sites. Would be a real hoot if DOT material caused the collapse.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
Could those rolls belong to DOT, they look like some stuff I have seen on road construction sites. Would be a real hoot if DOT material caused the collapse.

general consensus is that they were PVC conduit for fiber optic cables.

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Google streetview gives a real good

2117-2129 Piedmont Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30324
https://goo.gl/maps/jWYSn8VY78E2

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post