SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I-85 in Atlanta collapse
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I-85 in Atlanta collapse Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Been a long time since they burned Atlanta!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Most fortunate there was not gridlock on the I-85 trapping cars.

That is going to take years to repair.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm on the 75 corridor but everybody is gonna feel this. Co-worker went across in the smoke about 15 minutes before it collapsed.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Duuuuude, I was just there 2 weeks ago.
Learned my lesson, took the MARTA from airport to buckhead, hotel was 2 blocks from station

Uber is much easier than a rental, plenty within walking distance, although it was colder than hell.

Watching traffic from the MARTA around 5pm, I was like "FUCK THAT"!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2916 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Most fortunate there was not gridlock on the I-85 trapping cars.

No doubt you are right - nothing moves slower than government repairs.

We had a section of highway ruined by a truck fire. It was a feed to the Bay Bridge, and heavily used during the morning commute. It happened while Arnold was the governor. When he put the repair job out for bids, he had a stipulation: The winning contractor would be fined $100,000 for every day it went past completion date.

WOW - it was actually done ON TIME!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Greaaaaat. I just started an assignment that has me regularly flying into ATL and driving to Gainesville. That will go great now I'm sure.

That's a big mess!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
georgeair^^. Just take the 285 beltway around the south and east side. Would have probably been quicker even without bridge collapse. Only about 10 miles more.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
georgeair^^. Just take the 285 beltway around the south and east side. Would have probably been quicker even without bridge collapse. Only about 10 miles more.

Many thanks for the tip - that's what I'll be doing for sure!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:

Or fly in to Chattanooga and drive down maybe.

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they give this some priority. When I 35 collapsed over the Mississippi in Minneapolis they went balls to the walls 24/7 and had a beautiful new bridge in 9 months and it appears that was a far greater expanse than this and over a river.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think so. Several years ago a similar thing happened in Birmingham. A fire on an elevated portion of the interstate through downtown B'ham caused a section of the interstate to collapse. A contract was awarded for the repairs, with an estimated time of 60+ days. But the contractor worked 24hrs/day and had the repairs completed in just over 30 days.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I am sure that as soon as Mayor Reed finds the proper construction company(proper fees and tributes are exchanged) work will start.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Yep, I agree, it will only take a month or two. Remember when a portion of 285 at 400 collapsed due to a truck fire? They fixed that in about a month.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
First have to determine the integrity of the columns in the vicinity. Where the span collapsed, the actual column caps sheared off. I am guessing they will pour sister columns next to existing columns at least one span in either direction. I'm guessing they will be digging new footings in a week or so. Concrete will have to cure for a month probably. The precast double tees can probably be fabricated very quickly. 2-3 months minimum.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:

I don't think so. Several years ago a similar thing happened in Birmingham. A fire on an elevated portion of the interstate through downtown B'ham caused a section of the interstate to collapse. A contract was awarded for the repairs, with an estimated time of 60+ days. But the contractor worked 24hrs/day and had the repairs completed in just over 30 days.

Didn't that contractor get a huge bonus too for beating the deadline?

Or am i recalling a different bridge collapse?

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:

Didn't that contractor get a huge bonus too for beating the deadline?

Or am i recalling a different bridge collapse?

Yes, there was a performance bonus, which is why they worked 24/7 until the job was done.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
In Houston, they had to rebuild the Pierce Elevated, a section that runs right through downtown that carries a lot of traffic. They had a huge bonus for finishing on time, plus additional bonus for every day early. It was finished well ahead of schedule. Things can happen quickly IF there is enough pressure on TPTB to get it done right meow.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
How far north of the airport is this? I will be flying in nest month and need to get to I 20.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
How far north of the airport is this? I will be flying in nest month and need to get to I 20.

You're good.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
This will unfortunately give our foriegn Islamic enemies some ideas on how to make our lives further complicated...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post