SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help procuring a tenor sax.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help procuring a tenor sax. Login/Join 
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted
I'm in need of assistance from the musically inclined among the group. Our daughter switched from flute to tenor sax over the summer. She loves it and picked it up quickly. We are currently renting a King sax but would like to get her something more permanent for her birthday in October.

We're looking to spend $700-900 +/-. Not a big budget for an this kind of instrument, I know. The King that we are renting would run about $1100.00 to buy but we found out after the fact that the music store we are renting from is not the most reputable and feel like we're paying a premium for a "so-so" instrument.

So what would be a good recommendation for a new tenor sax? There are the $399 Mendini versions on eBay and a Jean Paul on Amazon for $700. Other than that what is a good place to purchase a decent used instrument and what are the best brands to look for?

Class III FFL/SOT firearms dealer

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out a store called "Sax Alley". It is in I think Colorado Springs. Tim Glesmann is the owner and a friend, and please call him, he will give you good advice even if you dont buy from him.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had 3 boys in high school band and have a sax we don't use and have considered selling it...let me ask the boss if she/we want to sell it.

edit....ours is an alto sax

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We found a used instrument shop in Nashville when looking for our Daughter. Likely one in most largish cities... We found a fairly good selection and you can trade in the flute toward a sax.

The instructor should be able to recommend something.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Darn - I just sold my son's tenor a couple of weeks ago after him not playing the past few years.

My only advice would be to have it inspected prior to purchase from a reputable shop if it is used.

Ensure you have a get a good case for whatever you end up with as they tend to travel and sustain abuse.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
Check out a store called "Sax Alley". It is in I think Colorado Springs. Tim Glesmann is the owner and a friend, and please call him, he will give you good advice even if you dont buy from him.

Do you know if Tim is into guns? Maybe we could do a little horse trading Big Grin. His shop is in Windsor, CO only about 50 miles from here. We may have to pay him a visit.

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You won't find a more reputable retailer (or better customer service) than Woodwind & Brasswind. They've been my go-to since before the internet.

Here's a link to their tenor sax offerings. You'll find everything from student to professional quality.

http://www.wwbw.com/Tenor-Saxophones.wwbw

In fact, it looks like this one might be right up your alley. Hell of a deal, it would appear.

http://www.wwbw.com/Allora-Vie...axophone-585575.wwbw

Also, check out their clearance and open box sections. You never know what you'll find in there.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What does the band director think?

King is a good brand which I think is now all part of the same company with Selmer, Conn, Bach and other U.S. brands of old. I was a Conn man until I got too old and feeble to power my big Conn tuba, and the smaller King I bought was very good.

A lot of schools are going to Yamaha and similar.

There are two schools of thought. I have experience with both. One is buy the finest instrument you can. These will be easier to play well, sound better, more rewarding all around.

The other is to learn on a tired, leaky, crappy piece of junk. If you can play that well, you can play anything! If you aren't interested in playing well, well, nothing will help you, and you won't be out a lot of money.

I second the idea of dealing with Woodwinds and Brasswinds. They treated me very satisfactorily.

Edit to make sense. Sorry!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
i'm with you JAllen on that one.

I played trombone all through school, I have the same horn in my basement that I got when I was about 14. I played it for a number of years in a swing band when I was in my 50's as well.

It served me well and my son played it all through school as well. It's a very nice Holton trombone,

We both also had a clunker for pep band and marching band. These tend to be tough on any kind of horn.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
EDIT - JUST REALIZED YOU SAID NEW. That's a tough one.

I guess the following does not apply.

Look at Ebay for the sellers that do their own refurbishing and give accurate descriptions.

The reputable sellers with hundreds of top ratings selling instruments.

Yamaha is a good student brand and makes a range like most, all the way to pro. Selmer, Conn, Vito, Bundy all are decent brands with a student selection.

Stay far, far away from a $400 new tenor sax.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There's just too much sax and violins nowadays.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year I became interested in helping my nephew into a better alto sax. Did all the research then began looking at used saxes. The ones in really nice shape are expensive, and ones beat up are "mid-price"; seems people will take snazzy images to drag you out there, then you start to see all the issues, and realize their asking price is 2x the value.

I'd always start with the case. Broken hinges are not a good start! Call me silly, but the case tells me the whole history. Every bang, drop, skid, opening, shutting, yanking the horn in and out over and over, it is all there.

The action of all the keys, pad condition, springs, pitting, and lots of questions whenever a repair is evident. That's when obvious deflections and misleading advertisements come to the front. Lots of parents get the mid-grade horn at 9th grade used, then if their kid sticks with it into college, get the kid a better horn and eventually sell the old one, trying to pass it off as a one-owner horn. They defer any repairs, just like my sister is doing on my nephew's horn, a $1,000 POS. Wow, what a clattering mess.

I ended up doing nothing but if I was going to help, I'd get him a Yahama YAS-480 or -62. There are -52's around as well, used. Hard to find a nice one cheap, though.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
There are lots of high quality, used instruments in the closet of old geezers, like me, who played years ago but will never blow a note again.

I bought my daughter an excellent Bach Stradivarius trumpet from a retired Doctor for $250 while she was in high school. It was, and still is nearly mint.

Good luck,
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Yamaha Tenor Sax for $500. I would expect there to be similar instruments in your area. Get it inspected at a music store before purchase.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org...hone/6252465971.html

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I would much prefer to buy an excellent quality USED musical instrument versus a so-so NEW instrument. And renting instruments through a school system is really expensive.

My daughter plays the clarinet. A few years after she started she was ready for an upgrade from her "student" clarinet. I asked her if she would rather have a used Buffet R13 (top of the line) or a new Buffet E12 (one step down). She wisely chose the used R13 which set me back about a grand 20-some years ago. The R13 now goes for over $3500 new so I think I could get my money out EXCEPT that she still plays the R13.

Buy the best used instrument you can afford. You will recoup more of your money when your child inevitably takes up the guitar!

Wink

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, insight and leads! We did find one locally with the assistance of the band director. I'm sure we'll have a happy camper on our hands Cool

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r2mach1:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, insight and leads! We did find one locally with the assistance of the band director. I'm sure we'll have a happy camper on our hands Cool

Tell her to get to practicing. Maybe she's the next Chloe.

Chloe has been at America's Finest City Jazz Festival nearly every year. She can play!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post