SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Observations of a Long Ago Firearms Instructor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observations of a Long Ago Firearms Instructor Login/Join 
posted
Today I went to my HR 218 Qualification in Central Florida. It seems as if the challenges of "working the line" has changed little in 35 years.

As many are aware HR 218 is for retired LEO's, therefore they should have had a modicum of experience. I was put on the line with 11 others overseen by three firearms instructors. I watched atrocious gun handling skills, limp wristing, inability to understand how their carry pistol worked, loading and magazine exchange issues, bending over on the firing line with a cocked live weapon, holstering with a cocked weapon (DA/SA), missing the target at three yards, inability to follow line instructions and more. Of course there were a few that were thoroughly proficient with their weapon.

The instructors were professional and dealt with each problem in a polite but firm manner. I only saw one relay, but came away with the impression that this is an ongoing issue. I have seen the same issues over the years at other jurisdictions HR 218 Qualifications.

As a long ago Chief Firearms Instructor, I saw that the issues have not changed, only the people. This is exactly why I gave up teaching firearms soon after I left government; the people were too scary.

To those still teaching inside and outside of government, I salute you, you deserve our admiration and respect for what you do to keep us safe.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I go to a commercial range every spring for the requals. We renew them for when we travel out of state. Usually we go when they open at 9am, and we're the only two there. We each fire, no hassles or interference, while the instructor watches and drinks coffee. I think they're actually relieved it's us.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
The retiree quals are some of the scariest days I work at the range.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I don’t qual under LEOSA, I just got a TX LTC(license to carry), I can do my own training and carry in the same places LEOSA can carry. And I don’t have to qual with the cops.

I always dreaded qual days...every time, at every one of them I got a gun pointed at me or other stupid shit went down...we shot four times a year.....and there was always one dummy there.

It was they same when I was a Small Arms Instructor in the service. The good thing with them was I was in charge, if you screwed up more then once, you went home. Many people thought I was a hardass but none ever got shot and I never had a ND at my ranges.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 22, 2019 06:08 PM Hide Post
I don’t qual under LEOSA

{QUOTE] I can do my own training and carry in the same places LEOSA can carry{/QUOTE}

Can you explain to me how this works for you? My understanding is that, if you qualify under LEOSA, you are able to carry anywhere in the US, as long as the state regulations are upheld, i.e. when in MA, restricted to 10 rnd mags. How does your training allow you this?

Thanks -odin
not trying to challenge you in any way, just trying to learn something!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
This thread interests me. I have been an instructor since 1971 and am still active. Stupid can strike anywhere at any time, but I suppose your experience depends upon the level of training these officers had before they retired and the instructors running the qualification course. I shoot LEOSA qual every year at the same place and there are usually 30 or so guys there. I have seen some lousy shots, but I have never seen any major safety violations in the LEOSA quals.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
quote:
posted August 22, 2019 06:08 PM Hide Post
I don’t qual under LEOSA

{QUOTE] I can do my own training and carry in the same places LEOSA can carry{/QUOTE}

Can you explain to me how this works for you? My understanding is that, if you qualify under LEOSA, you are able to carry anywhere in the US, as long as the state regulations are upheld, i.e. when in MA, restricted to 10 rnd mags. How does your training allow you this?

Thanks -odin
not trying to challenge you in any way, just trying to learn something!

Sorry I wasn’t clearer. I’ve had a stroke and sometimes I think I’m making sense but I leave out info. I’m a retired cop and I could go the LEOSA way..but choose not to as I can carry the same places under the TX LTC and don’t have to go to the cops range day and maybe get shotified like I have experienced in LE since 1999. That clear it up?

Plus I’d never go up north due to ridiculous laws and that not every cop is aware of the exceptions for retired LEO and they'd probably arrest me.

WRT training question, I can go to my range and practice myself and still carry concealed w/o having to prove anything to anyone besides my LTC( what every other state calls a CCW)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too skip LEOSA Quals. My MI CPL has a LE notation on the card that allows me to carry anywhere I usually go and I dont have to requal yearly. Plus the OH Requal is stoopid.
I prefer to train and shoot on my own.
As to the older guys, many of the them had no training at all with their weapons when they were on the job and that fact becomes glaringly evident during LEOSA shoots.
"Ready on the right, ready on the left, the line is ready....".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

LTC ( what every other state calls a CCW)
Here in Florida it's a CWP (Concealed Weapon Permit).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Man, I never see that at our range. I teach cops and citizens and do LEOSA quals when I work the range. Granted, we get very few cops from out of state doing quals. I have to wonder how much training other cops and LE FA instructors get as far as training.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike! Your reply really makes sense to me NOW!!! Smile
I can see where this would make perfect sense in your position. Qualifying under LEOSA would buy you nothing.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post