SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Couple seeks court's help to evict 30-year-old son from their home
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple seeks court's help to evict 30-year-old son from their home Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
My... how things have changed Roll Eyes

A New York couple is so desperate to get their 30-year-old son out of their house that they’ve enlisted the court’s help to evict him — and the man isn’t going down without a fight.

Christina and Mark Rotondo filed a petition in the Supreme Court of New York State earlier this month saying they’ve been trying to evict their son, Michael Rotondo, from their Camillus home for the last three months, CNYCentral reported. Their son has refused to leave even after repeated notes left for him.

The eviction drama began on Feb. 2 when the parents left their first note, saying the 30-year-old has two weeks to vacate his room.

“Michael, After a decision with your Mother, we have decided you must leave this house immediately. You have 14 days to vacate. You will not be allowed to return. We will take whatever actions are necessary to enforce this decision,” the note reads.

Michael appeared to take the threat lightly. The Rotondos tried again with another strongly-worded note dated Feb. 13 saying: “Michael Joseph Rotondo, you are hereby evicted…[from the home] effectively immediately.”

“Any action you take that can be construed as threatening or harassing...us or prevents or obstructs our ability to use the house or property…as we see fit will result in your immediate removal from the premises," the mother writes.

Michael had 30 days to vacate, as recommended by the couple’s lawyer. The mother warns “legal enforcement procedure will be instituted immediately” if he isn’t out of the house by March 15, the full note released by Syracuse.com states.

The couple decided to add an incentive and penned a third note five days later saying they are graciously giving him $1,100 to help him find a place to stay. They also offer some advice such as organizing his personal items, selling valuables for money and finding a job.

As the March 15 deadline approached, it seemed like Michael wasn’t budging. The couple wrote another note on March 5 saying there’s been no indication the 30-year-old is leaving.

The note adds, "Be aware that we will take any appropriate actions necessary to make sure you leave the house as demanded."

Yet, the deadline passed and Michael was still living at his parents’ home. In the last note before the court filing, the Rotondos addressed the issue with Michael’s car that was reportedly still sitting in the parents’ driveway.

The couple initially went to the town’s court in April to evict their son, but was told they can only remove a family member from their home through ejectment proceeding.

Michael claimed in an April 9 response that his parents didn’t give a reason for wanting him out of the house. He said the eviction was retaliatory, court records stated. Michael also said he lived at his parents’ house for eight years and has never been expected to contribute to expenses and do chores.

Rotondo also filed a response to court last Wednesday saying there was a “common law requirement” to give someone a six-month notice before eviction. He added that none of the five notes gave him that. He also asked the court to dismiss his parents’ request.

A hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...from-their-home.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they're rethinking how they raised him at this point.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Probably sorry they didn't use a contraceptive.

This is one of the very few times that burning down your own house makes sense.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael also said he lived at his parents’ house for eight years and has never been expected to contribute to expenses and do chores.

Another spoiled brat that thinks the world revolves around him.

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Here's even more including interactions with the judge.

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/...ts_house_anyway.html

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Put the house up for sale, take money, run....

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Is it wrong to find this hilarious? Big Grin
Granted, I'm glad it's not my problem!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
What about changing the locks while the kid is out doing something? Well, that’s if the kid goes out of the house that is.

This is messed up.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
What is the deal with all of the notes? It sounds like the father is afraid of his son, and in his own home no less. He needs to act like a man and deal with his boy head on. I get that he made be required to give him something in writing at some point, but it should have been handed to him after he told him what was going to happen. Of course as we all know, that boy should have been dealt with years ago. This is absolutely pathetic.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Future Starbucks management? Smile

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any guesses about whether the parents are Republicans or Democrats?

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard numerous cases of people having to go through legal hell to evict someone . Why does the law seem to favor the deadbeat tenant or relative in this case ?

Posts: 4053 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Any guesses about whether the parents are Republicans or Democrats?
Any guesses about whether or not I'll point out that you just interjected politics into this thread?

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Future Starbucks management? Smile
More like current SJW.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Didn't Hollywood make a movie about this? The parents need to hire Sarah Jessica Parker.

Or, the parents should just start walking around their home buck naked 24/7.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling Michael will be in the news again at some point.

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This kid is some piece of work. Hey, kid! Get a damn haircut and a job!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Too bad the judge didn't order retroactive rent payments.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
STOP! or I'll yell STOP again!

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
What about changing the locks while the kid is out doing something? Well, that’s if the kid goes out of the house that is.

This is messed up.

Illegal eviction. That would at least be a misdemeanor, if not a felony. If they did that, they could go to jail. In NYS, the only party that can order an eviction is the state court system. This BTW is not uncommon in a lot of states.

BTW, this happens a lot with live in BF/GF situations that go bad. I had a friend who had to go to court to evict his ex GF.

quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I've heard numerous cases of people having to go through legal hell to evict someone . Why does the law seem to favor the deadbeat tenant or relative in this case ?

Because over the years, a lot of abusive landlords or other property owners through people out with no cause or warning. So someone said "They ought to make a law!!!..." and they did. And NYS is VERY tenant friendly.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post