SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do ants care about night and day?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do ants care about night and day? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
If they're a few levels down inside the anthill, they can't see the sun anyway. It's warmer in the day, cooler at night, but other than that, do ants care what time it is?

What's going on inside your average anthill at 3 AM?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107574 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sex? Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
The first rule of ant mound is, they don't talk about ant mound.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they care not,
now, magnifying glasses !
thats what gets their undies in a wadd

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54636 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
They come out at night......mostly

Cheers
Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in MO, I liked to observe the activities of brown ants that had an ant hill adjacent to our front sidewalk. I saw lots of activity during daylight hours, but none during evening or nighttime. They might've been active inside the ant hill though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Don't know on ants, but their behavior seems to be similar to bees, and I think bees stay in for the night. I'm sure some bee guys will correct me if I'm wrong. I do know personally that yellow jackets, who burrow and live underground, stay in for the night. It's the best time to kill those suckers.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Curfew' a bitch in Ant city. Kidding aside. Depends upon the genus? Young colonies of many species must be very careful not to reveal their existence to other nearby colonies. That's why they sometimes forage at night, even if the species isn't mainly nocturnal. But the majority of ants are active during day, because they use sights for at least for navigation - and some good seeing ants like Formica, also for tracking prey.

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Order your own and find out. Just do not break the container.
https://www.nature-gifts.com/1512-ant-farms-for-sale/

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A strobe light on all night really confuses them.

Or it makes for some wild parties.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
They come out at night......mostly

Cheers
Jaycat

For the win.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Looks like it depends on the species of ant. Some are nocturnal, some are diurnal, and others are a mix.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Ant stuff (but you really don't want to go there) Big Grin...

Seriously, they are watching the movie Them over and over and dreaming big!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ants never sleep!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Airpusher
posted Hide Post
The ants seen at night are usually third shift ants. Their wages are 10% higher.

A man is still only as good as his word

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Ant stuff (but you really don't want to go there) Big Grin...

Seriously, they are watching the movie Them over and over and dreaming big!

Or The Naked Jungle, and trying to get all their friends together.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If the ants live near this guy then they are being crisped by molten aluminum.

www.anthillart.com

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This time of year they mostly watch Aardvark Week on Discovery Channel. It's too hot for much else.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Here in AZ, they seem to form their browsing habits based on heat. The mounds are active early in the day and late in the evening. I don't know about night, never stayed up to watch them.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What happens in the mound, stays in the mound...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post