SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinions on Building a Custom Home
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Building a Custom Home Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a good list so far.

Sump pumps if you do a basement. Make sure you have adequate access to water/electrical outlets outside. Drains under any washer in possible. 220 outlets where someone might want them in the future. If you have wide open space above your garage, make is usable for storage. Hot water in your garage. Heating elements and or leave guards on your eaves, and gutters. Reinforce any where you plan to mount TV's, shelving, etc. Take pictures/video of the interior before drywall goes up so you know where studs, pipes, and electrical are.

Good luck! Post some pictures when you get going tooSmile

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Plan the electrical outlets and switches precisely and make the electrician place them precisely. Most electricians just hang them on the nearest stud. That's not good enough. I was once involved in the construction of a custom home owned by a realtor. She knew exactly what she wanted and made the sub rewire much of the house to match the drawings.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason to run coax cable anymore? Typically it's hdmi for runs up to 50 ft, and also a network cable for video runs longer than 50 ft., as I understand it.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Need to consider how strong your marriage is before undertaking building a new home or a major renovation. I know lots of people where there were issues and the project was the straw that broke the camels back. If necessary, defer the project and work on the marriage.

More typical recommendations:
  • figure out wifi layout and run Cat 6 to ceiling for access points. Wired access points outperform mesh networks
  • look into how doors open on closets and bathrooms. My master bathroom and dual (his/her) master closets is a clusterfuck. Should have had a pocket door on water closet (aka the shitter) and her master closet.
  • you’re either in or damn near tornado alley. Consider having master closet or kitchen pantry built as a tornado shelter. Really clever designs that blend in well but meet tornado shelter specs
  • put in ceiling electrical outlets on any covered porches/porticos for Christmas lights or other string lighting (seems like 1/4 homes in my neighborhood use the warm white leds string lights year around in backyard
  • if anybody suggests kitchen or bathroom counters are tile you should fire them immediately. Cleaning the grout is soul sucking drudgery and there are much better looking and easier to counter materials maintain.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    goodheart
    Picture of sjtill
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Until I retired earlier this year, I owned one of the top energy efficient construction companies in the state of VA and have won many state and regional awards for the design and construction.

I would be happy to review any drawings you have and answer any questions as well.
    My email is in my profile.

Excellent demonstration of why I love SigForum.

Here are some thoughts:
    1. The home we bought has a recirculating pump for hot water so we have almost instant hot water in the showers. We love it!
    2. Electric wiring for an electric car charger in the garage--probably already in your plans if it's a net-zero house.
    3. Storage, storage, storage. Never enough. Another reason to make that carport into a garage.
    4. Orientation: you've probably already got this down, living in Texas. When looking for rental houses in the Phoenix area, that was key.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SigJacket:
    ETA: external electrical hookup for portable generator to power essentials (fridge,freezer) should panels be storm damaged. Totally dig the net-zero designs. A lot of long term money can be saved with thought in initial construction.

Right now the plan is for a whole home generator powered by propane and I will have a large propane tank. Everything in the house will be electric except for having a gas stove. So the propane will only be for the stove and generator. If I end up having to cut some costs then I will have it wired so I can connect my current generator to keep important stuff running.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ruger357:
    The only thigh I can tell you is ours ended up almost double the price we were originally going for.

Yeah, this ain’t going to be cheap. I am blown away at what it will probably cost.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeinNC:
    I’d make sure there are electrical outlets every ten feet...to include in the closets...

Our MBR closet is huge and Mrs. Mike can have a gazallion clothes and shoes, but I can’t iron a shirt because no outlet...grrr

You could upgrade the bedroom doors to exterior/fire resistant/solid core before they install them

Definitely walk around with the electrician, we have a half bath where the switch is on the wrong side when entering...it’s a bitch when it’s dark and you can’t find a switch cause it’s on the other wall

Ridge vents on the roof if it’s not a hip roof.....

I plan on ensuring the exterior doors are reinforced and also bedroom doors will be reinforced solid doors.

The plans do have electrical outlets in the closets and kitchen pantry. I haven’t measured yet how far apart each outlet is, but I will check. I am also going to double check switch locations.

Green grass and
    high tides
    Picture of old rugged cross
    posted Hide Post
    Are you bound by a contract to do something that will cost double or more than you signed up for?

Can you get out of it?

Just trying to understand why someone would continue with such a project.

I mean and house is a house. Plenty of competent builder out there.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sig operator:
    Outdoor kitchen/gazebo? Maybe w/propane gas grill built in.

There will be an outdoor covered patio and they will build a cooking station for me to set my Big Green Egg in with a prep area.

Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by smlsig:
    Until I retired earlier this year, I owned one of the top energy efficient construction companies in the state of VA and have won many state and regional awards for the design and construction.

I would be happy to review any drawings you have and answer any questions as well.
    My email is in my profile.

Awesome. Thank you sir.

Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:

More typical recommendations:
  • figure out wifi layout and run Cat 6 to ceiling for access points. Wired access points outperform mesh networks
  • look into how doors open on closets and bathrooms. My master bathroom and dual (his/her) master closets is a clusterfuck. Should have had a pocket door on water closet (aka the shitter) and her master closet.
  • you’re either in or damn near tornado alley. Consider having master closet or kitchen pantry built as a tornado shelter. Really clever designs that blend in well but meet tornado shelter specs
  • put in ceiling electrical outlets on any covered porches/porticos for Christmas lights or other string lighting (seems like 1/4 homes in my neighborhood use the warm white leds string lights year around in backyard
  • if anybody suggests kitchen or bathroom counters are tile you should fire them immediately. Cleaning the grout is soul sucking drudgery and there are much better looking and easier to counter materials maintain.

• All good points.

posted Hide Post
    I'm kind of the opposite, with my "Forever Home". My divorce occurred kind of suddenly and I've been flying by the seat of my pants.

We built our supposedly forever home and it's pretty good...the ex got it as part of the divorce settlement.

Working with a modest equity payout, I decided to go with a factory built home, to IRC standards. This is "stick built home" standards not "HUD" manufactured home codes.

My contribution to the OP would possibly have your land surveyed and to start your landscaping by having any trees, bushes and other vegetation trimmed/removed before you start construction.

Of course, setback distances must be observed too.

This should prevent complications later down the road. Congratulations and good luck!!

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by old rugged cross:
    Are you bound by a contract to do something that will cost double or more than you signed up for?

Can you get out of it?

Just trying to understand why someone would continue with such a project.

I mean and house is a house. Plenty of competent builder out there.

We can get out of the project at any point before construction starts if we want. We would lose the 1% deposit we gave the builder. The architect and the builder are working together to ensure the design of the home is within the budget we are willing to spend. Once we approve the final architect plans, then the builder will give us the final cost. If it is over budget, we can change things to bring the cost down.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by StorminNormin:.The builder we have hired is an award winning net-zero home builder.

Have a real estate attorney review the Builder's contract before you sign it. Be very careful of signing any builder's "standard" contract, they tend to be very one-sided. Often times the real conflict starts with your idea of a completed home and the builder's contract's definition. Also, will you close with punch-list items pending or after the punch-list is complete?

Also, have the number of the 2nd best builder for net-zero homes in case you stop loving the first one during the build.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    Picture of old rugged cross
    posted Hide Post
    That sounds like some "excellent" council right there.

Glad to hear you are not bound as of yet.

Obviously you are asking about things that will add $ to the project. Since it sounds like your last home. Be mindful that as you get further down the line, less generally is better. So things you think you want now, a few short years from now could be things that you won't need or use and be wasted $ in the project.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
    quote:
    Originally posted by StorminNormin:.The builder we have hired is an award winning net-zero home builder.

Have a real estate attorney review the Builder's contract before you sign it. Be very careful of signing any builder's "standard" contract, they tend to be very one-sided. Often times the real conflict starts with your idea of a completed home and the builder's contract's definition. Also, will you close with punch-list items pending or after the punch-list is complete?

Also, have the number of the 2nd best builder for net-zero homes in case you stop loving the first one during the build.

Good advice, thanks.

Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    I have a carport for my truck and like it, good to hear your motorcycle goes in the garage. Smile

I would incorporate a central vac which is easy in new construction. The advantages over conventional vacuums are many including quiet operation and the micro dust is exhausted outside rather than inside your home.

Spec top quality 100% acrylic paint opposed to the builder stuff.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I am a leaf
    on the wind...
    posted Hide Post
    Run a hot line to every outdoor faucet. My wife can wash the car, fill kid water toys, pressure wash motorcycle at all temps, because we have hot water at each outdoor faucet. 2 handles, hot and cold.

Posts: 2117 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Power for the workshop. Welder? 220v outlet. Power tools - table saw, drill press, lathe, etc.
    overhead door to outside from shop?

Our home is a ranch with full basement. Ramp to house, no steps. Walk in shower, no step.

Geothermal heat and AC.
    Solar panels offset our electric by 75%.
    Private well and septic.
    We are big fans of covered porches. Out of the weather when reaching the doors and relaxing outside. All are 8-10’ wide.

Trees and shrubbery are away from the house (for the most part). No threats from storms and gutters stay clean.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post