SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinions on Building a Custom Home
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Building a Custom Home Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
The only thigh I can tell you is ours ended up almost double the price we were originally going for.

make a plan, get pricing and do not make changes!

if you feel a 9x10 whatever room, make it 10x12, 30 sf at $150/sf is cheaper than what a change order would cost when making compromises in design.

get the home started and limit your visits to only when the builder has Questions or concerns.

YMMV
john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
how big ? 5000 gallon ? 9000 gallon? tank

If you are asking about rainwater collection, I believe it is a 40,000 gallon tank. That is a guess from previous discussions but will most likely be confirmed this Friday at our building budget meeting.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
believe it is a 40,000 gallon tank

yowser

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iowa and texas both have areas that are constantly rated very very good for wind powered electrical generation.

perhaps a 10 kw generator could be considered
https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/32583.pdf.

if you are in the right geographic location.

just like P.V. arrays there can be state and fed
incentives and if you choose the right retailer,
there may substantial rebates , and then there are the local electric companys may throw some cash your way ,as well

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the snow birds up my way called ,
they are requesting a 20 ft. x 40 ft. level pad , to park their r.v's and camper's on , when they come down to visit,

On the back side of the pole shed with some gas and electrical hook ups, thanks Wink

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

If you are asking about rainwater collection, I believe it is a 40,000 gallon tank. That is a guess from previous discussions but will most likely be confirmed this Friday at our building budget meeting.

I would make it 2 separate tanks. 20k each or whatever, with a valve to divert the rainwater. There will come a time when you will need to clean the tanks, or do some other sort of maintenance, and it's nice to rotate them and fill one, then fill the other, while draining the one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
the snow birds up my way called ,
they are requesting a 20 ft. x 40 ft. level pad , to park their r.v's and camper's on , when they come down to visit,

On the back side of the pole shed with some gas and electrical hook ups, thanks Wink

I’ll do it as long as I get to charge a hell of a rent fee Big Grin

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

I would make it 2 separate tanks. 20k each or whatever, with a valve to divert the rainwater. There will come a time when you will need to clean the tanks, or do some other sort of maintenance, and it's nice to rotate them and fill one, then fill the other, while draining the one.

That is a good idea. I will inquire about the cost as we are at the max of our budget as it is right now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

That is a good idea. I will inquire about the cost as we are at the max of our budget as it is right now.

I don't think it would cost that much extra. Just a divider wall in the normal tank they're building to make it two tanks and a few valves and pipes. BUT, construction costs always seem to end up a lot higher than expected...….I feel for you.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of building a cabin/house. one thing I am doing is putting in wiring to switch on and off the lights in the pole barn. Even though there ill be no pole barn for several years.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
plan on ensuring the exterior doors are reinforced and also bedroom doors will be reinforced solid doors.

reinforced doors w/o reinforced jambs are a concern.

a 6 x 6 door frame is much better than 2) 2x4's married together

posted Hide Post
water hammer arrestors on the dishwasher and cloths washers ( at least)

preferably on the sinks as well

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I assume you've factored it in but one expense some people building a new house neglect to allow for is property tax because the larger and better you build, the more the yearly charge for the right to "own" your house. Could be $2,000 even $3,000 every year.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to customize the design of my prior home. Since I live in Texas, energy savings were the focus.

I vent skinned (brick vents)the house along with Cool Ply and ridge vents which greatly reduced air conditioning use. Twice the square footage of the previous house and about 80% energy cost of previous house.

Check out vent skin technology from Florida Energy center.

I taped the seams of the outer shell before bricks installed.

Cool Ply or other radient barrier (aluminum foil type) on bottom side of roof decking can block rf signals so some means must be provided to get coax to roof for tv/radio antennas. Consider some kind of vent.

We spent time entertaining outside so I prewired speaker wires from central entertaiment system to outdoor soffit vent speakers. Today’s wireless speakers may be a better option.

Fireplace in bedroom.

Electronic outlets in walls for coax cables, cat 5 or as needed.

If gas available , consider “instant on” water heater.

Your builder prob has standard energy savings packages like double pane windows , door seals, insulation etc.

Vent skin tech in conjuction with ridge vents and cool ply prob single best bang for buck.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
something of interest here ,
re: plumbing.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2420059064

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Well we have now approved the architect’s drawings and it will now be sent to the builder’s engineer. Test holes have been drilled for soil samples for the septic and slab. If everything stays on track, we will begin construction around the end of October. It has been 19 years since we bought a home and I can’t believe how much it has change for the financing. It was very simple long ago and now they want SO MUCH info it is crazy, but I know it is because of the 2008 housing crisis.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:.The builder we have hired is an award winning net-zero home builder.

Have a real estate attorney review the Builder's contract before you sign it. Be very careful of signing any builder's "standard" contract, they tend to be very one-sided. Often times the real conflict starts with your idea of a completed home and the builder's contract's definition. Also, will you close with punch-list items pending or after the punch-list is complete?

Also, have the number of the 2nd best builder for net-zero homes in case you stop loving the first one during the build.

We are getting bids for a real estate attorney now to review the builder’s contract before we sign. He just sent us the contract early so we could review. According to the builder, he says they modified the contract to not be one sided for either party. We will see.

posted Hide Post
is it done yet?

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
This home will be in the country where I will need satellite for both TV and internet

This might change with 5G rollout. You are near Austin so 5G should be available sooner than later. You won't need to change any layout but you might get advice where an outside antenna and wifi extenders could/should be located. Your TV cable, Ethernet wiring and satellite dish will soon be legacy.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of nice-to-haves:

Good quality (I’d suggest Hunter) reversible ceiling fans in as many rooms as you can afford.

Reinforced section of ceiling in the garage where you can attach a chain hoist to support 600+ lb loads. Comes in handy when unloading machinery from a pickup truck bed, getting under a riding mower for maintenance, etc.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post