SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Every State, Ranked by How Miserable Its Winters Are
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Every State, Ranked by How Miserable Its Winters Are Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
It truly is all relative.

When I first moved here from upstate New York, I NEVER thought is was cold. I marveled at people who would feel a need to put on a coat or jacket because they interpreted the weather as "cold."

But, now that I've been here for a few years, I now think that it can be cold from time to time. I sometimes am amused at myself for thinking that 40 degrees F is cold! Big Grin

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10694 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I moved from that area of NY to Tampa, Fl in the middle of July. I thought I was going to either die of heat exhaustion or drown on the way from the airport to my friend's house. That Thanksgiving, I got to see the Atlantic for the first time at Cocoa Beach with my future wife. I went swimming at sunset and it was amazing. Her family thought I was insane. I was the only guy in the water, as far as I could see in either direction. She was on the beach huddled under a few towels and shivering. I was invigorated. Three years later, I lived only a few miles from there and would only go to the beach sometime around May to September. Big Grin

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winters in Washington state are worse than New York? What a buncha shit. I’ve lived equal amounts of years in both places and there’s no comparison. Yeah, it rains a lot here. I’ll take that over white-out conditions, 3ft of snow overnight, snow glare, black ice, frostbite, ice storms that collapse homes and barns and every power line for three counties, and a week every winter where it doesn’t get above thirty below zero. What idiot wrote this article?

Newsflash: most of New York State is not New York City. You know? The southernmost part of the state?

Exactly, I spent 2.5 years at at Drum and then lived in Fulton ( record was 250")....CNY winters are no joke. Once had to drive north on 81 with my headlights of as the moon gave better light and the pot holes were actually holes in the ice on the road.

And don't get me started about the post policy that dictated you ran unless it was below -25....woke up many mornings to turn on the weather only to find it was -22.....
Running in a fucking baklava sucks

Living in NWPA at the moment 20 miles south of the lake...loving every storm...

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
California should be #1. Most miserable every season, with crap head "leaders" in the state capital. Sorry, had to...carry on.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6002 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
New York #20 ? ? ? ? Plattsburgh New York (On Lake Champlain) can be described as 8 months of winter and 4 months of shitty ice fishing.

Tinyman

I lived in Malone and Potsdam, basically straight west of Plattsburgh. The running joke was that we had four seasons. In order: ice fishing, mud, construction and hunting. 8-9 months of winter is no shit. Go from -30 in parts of the winter to the mid 90's in the height of summer with exactly nobody having air conditioning because 8-9 months of winter. No thanks.

During one of our higher headquarters inspections, the wind chill hit -72 F -- THAT my friend is cold.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post