SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Every State, Ranked by How Miserable Its Winters Are
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Every State, Ranked by How Miserable Its Winters Are Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Missouri winters can be brutal but they are fairly short. December, January and a little of February, that's about it for mid-Missouri. It can also get pretty darn hot in the summer but I can still get work done if I am out early enough.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5021 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to read this when I have a bit. Michigan's sounds like it was written by Cormac McCarthy!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16172 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Lost all credibility by listing Colorado anywhere in the top 40, let alone ahead of Florida. Roll Eyes
quote:
snowfall is a cause for celebration here

Whether or not true (doubtful) it should officially be made known that long periods of cold and heavy snows make for miserable winters. Wink

Posts: 14995 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
#4..here. that sounds about right!

Posts: 7790 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having lived in Wisconsin and Michigan, I'd rank the Badger state in the top (or bottom?) 5. I do completely agree about Colorado. Winter there was pretty awesome. But think about this: as miserable as Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan and Wisconsin are, most of Canada has it worse.

Posts: 2464 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Lost all credibility by listing Colorado anywhere in the top 40, let alone ahead of Florida. Roll Eyes
quote:
snowfall is a cause for celebration here

Whether or not true (doubtful) it should officially be made known that long periods of cold and heavy snows make for miserable winters. Wink

I think they’re probably referring to what they’re most familiar with, the Denver metro area, which does have a pretty mild winter. When they throw in remarks about craft beer and the Broncos, it’s obvious that the authors aren’t really writing about mild winters, more about what they perceive as the attraction to being a Colorado resident. For perspective, try living on the Western Slope and needing to travel back-and-forth to the Front Range in the winter; that “mild winter” can be pretty elusive.

Posts: 13138 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Snow ain't nothing. It's the wind (that never stops blowing in Minnesota) that makes it brutal.

It's actually worse in SW MN where I am, than the far north of the State.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I'm originally from Northern Maine (Presque Isle) so yeah, being top 5 makes a lot of sense. Anyone who spent anytime at Loring or in Caribou understands - and that extends to Quebec City and parts of Canada. Rough long winters, early snow, short days, lots of snow.

There is a reason a lot of my family has either moved or winters over in Florida.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Pyker is right about the wind! I live in SE SoDak, 30 miles from the MN border, and it always seems to snow sideways in this country. Gentle, falling snow is almost unheard of.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2071 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Damn popup when I got to Georgia wanting to give me a free burger and fries ,had to close out that thing.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Wait. Whut?

Arizona #49.

"Occasionally, retired Kroger business executives from Ohio and their Pilates-instructor second wives will accidentally move to Flagstaff and get very sad and angry when they realize the average winter temperature is somewhere in the 20s. But most of Arizona offers up that dry desert day heat that is good for arthritis and any lingering guilt about leaving their first wives to deal with their delinquent teenage kids back in Indian Hill."

Looking at 71 degrees today.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
So. Has someone rated the states about their summers?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i live 6 miles from Syracuse. Awful. If my family wasn't all here , I'd be gone in a flash, and not just because of the winters.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania was spot on lol

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winter sucks, unless you have mountains to play in.

Posts: 14537 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
New Hampshire # 15??? Must have done their research in Concord and not Berlin Smile

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
#4..here. that sounds about right!

My family nearly took a relocation to North Dakota when I was a kid. The agent in charge that my old man would have been working for told him that in the dead of winter, he had a walk-in freezer in his garage he'd climb into to warm up before, taking breaks during, and after plowing the driveway. Why? Because the freezer was still 40-60 degrees warmer than outside and his garage wasn't heated. I don't know how much of that was truth or not, but after a week of -30 to -37 or so, when it warmed up to 20f, I was outside in jeans and shirtsleeves like it was suddenly springtime.

It truly is all relative.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
New York #20 ? ? ? ? Plattsburgh New York (On Lake Champlain) can be described as 8 months of winter and 4 months of shitty ice fishing.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Missouri winters can be brutal but they are fairly short. December, January and a little of February, that's about it for mid-Missouri. It can also get pretty darn hot in the summer but I can still get work done if I am out early enough.

Yep. I'll be glad when we make it to March.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23896 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
New York #20 ? ? ? ? Plattsburgh New York (On Lake Champlain) can be described as 8 months of winter and 4 months of shitty ice fishing.

Tinyman

I lived in Malone and Potsdam, basically straight west of Plattsburgh. The running joke was that we had four seasons. In order: ice fishing, mud, construction and hunting. 8-9 months of winter is no shit. Go from -30 in parts of the winter to the mid 90's in the height of summer with exactly nobody having air conditioning because 8-9 months of winter. No thanks.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post