SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Every State, Ranked by How Miserable Its Winters Are
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Every State, Ranked by How Miserable Its Winters Are Login/Join 
posted
Ok, having spent most my life in Michigan, I had to laugh!

#2. Michigan
Winter in Michigan begins well before Thanksgiving and stretches far past Easter, which makes for four-to-six wearisome months of always-gray, always-cold, always-drizzly, but-rarely-snowy-in-a-good-way misery. Some other states may see colder temps or more snow, but Michigan winters are unrivaled for their utter lack of sunshine. The ceaseless cloud cover begins in October, and envelopes the state in a daily sense of gloom that only worsens when the apathetic sun slouches below the horizon at quarter-to-five.

For the Michigander, this is winter: you leave work at 5 or 6, already in the dead of night, and fight your way down 94 or 96 or 75 or whatever Godforsaken stretch of highway. You can't even tell if it is drizzling rain or snow, because the brown salt sludge that sprays up off the road coats your windshield more completely than anything that falls from the sky. Overnight, the road freezes. In the morning you wake up and it is still dark. You scrape off your car, then get stuck in traffic as the cars ahead of you gawk at the SUV that has slid into the ditch. You actually look forward to a proper snowfall, just to cover the dirt. Even then, you do not go skiing, because there are no hills.

You do not look forward to outdoor winter recreation because there is none. You might go bowling. You probably put on weight. If you are lucky you might have a snowmobile, but it's a pain in the ass to get out. More likely your asshole neighbor has one, and it is loud. In early April you convince yourself it is spring because it is Tigers Opening Day. You overpay for tickets to the game, tell yourself 45 degrees isn't that cold, and cheer when the sun peeks out at the end of the fourth inning. That is the light at the end of the tunnel. Winter in Michigan is a miserable, miserable time.

https://www.thrillist.com/trav...us-states-for-winter

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Pretty much nailed Georgia. Winter is very wet but rarely all that cold. But when things do ice up, Atlanta traffic is a clown show of epic proportions. I think the entire state shares about 10 salt trucks.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10464 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Y wife’s whole family is from Minn-ah-soh-tah

I went up to visit her grandfather in Gheen (population 9, located less than a hundred miles from international falls) once. Once. Never again

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Ok, having spent most my life in Michigan, I had to laugh!

#2. Michigan
Winter in Michigan begins well before Thanksgiving and stretches far past Easter, which makes for four-to-six wearisome months of always-gray, always-cold, always-drizzly, but-rarely-snowy-in-a-good-way misery.
https://www.thrillist.com/trav...us-states-for-winter

I lived in Michigan for 49 years and this first sentence is so true. I do miss May through October in Michigan, that weather is perfect.

Posts: 754 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Well, I came here because winter in Illinois sucked worse. 4 months of mud, f that. A nice white wash, refreshed every few days is an improvement in my estimation. A week of -15 about every year, well... that does suck. I do live in the balmy south which might shade my opinion.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5128 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Winters in Washington state are worse than New York? What a buncha shit. I’ve lived equal amounts of years in both places and there’s no comparison. Yeah, it rains a lot here. I’ll take that over white-out conditions, 3ft of snow overnight, snow glare, black ice, frostbite, ice storms that collapse homes and barns and every power line for three counties, and a week every winter where it doesn’t get above thirty below zero. What idiot wrote this article?

Newsflash: most of New York State is not New York City. You know? The southernmost part of the state?

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Yep. That’s a Michigan winter. Gray and gloomy.

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
LOL at California. Not as eloquently stated as the Michigan rating but still accurate.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know. Kentucky is full of fun in fall/winter. Let's see. In October of 2019, less than a week before Halloween it was 98° F. Then October 31st it's 19° and is snowing. Then warms up some to a few months of cold rain, darkness and gloom. Christmas day can be from below zero, to like this year almost 70°. Hell my Christmas day outfit this year was a red and white Hawaiian shirt with my Santa Claus hat, it only seemed fitting for a 70° Christmas day.

Winter, where you wake up and it's -3° but buy 2:00 PM is 38°. With snow, ice, black ice rain and just to get your hopes up a little bit, a small peek of sunshine.

Where you have a overnight snow and ice storm that lays down 6" of crap, but by 5:00 PM is melted away, only to refreeze overnight. Then be in the 60's later on in the week.

ARman

Posts: 3139 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Black mountains do shield Carolina from a lot of crappy weather...

Posts: 13788 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
35. Utah
Like Colorado, you can generally count on the fact that winters will be packed with sunshine and access to world-class cold weather leisure activities (2002 Olympics for life!). Unlike Colorado, there’s no unfettered access to weed. But hey, at least the Jazz are back to semi-relevance.

I was going to say that Utah should always be ranked higher than Colorado (meaning better winters because our snow is better and our resorts are much more accessible and numerous), but then I read the bolded part. I guess weed trumps all with the folks who made up this list. Ridiculous.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30280 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yoop has two seasons - Winter and August.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15973 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Minnesodium. Renamed by me and a friend. Food is too salty to eat and the roads too salty to drive. Fuck that state.

I’m in the good ole 49. The winters here are quite awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4019 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I read some of them and skimmed the rest. Texas was fairly discussed. I came here 39 years ago after growing up in Michigan and 20 years in USAF. Was a great decision.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
Haha! Hawaii checking in!

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I lived in two different cities in upstate New York when I was growing up. The cities were 90 miles apart from East to West, but they were the same distance from the equator. I don't know why, but the city that was East of the other had incredibly horrible winters.

If the entire state had winters like that city did, it might be able to vie for number one on that list.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10694 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underworld2086:
Haha! Hawaii checking in!

Supposed to plunge down to 64 tonight over here. I have to close windows.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone wannna move to California?

The beach, mountains, sunshine. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 654 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Minnesodium. Renamed by me and a friend. Food is too salty to eat and the roads too salty to drive. Fuck that state.

I’m in the good ole 49. The winters here are quite awesome.

That’s why you don’t eat winter roadkill! Smile

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I must be some sort of masochist - Raised in Michigan (#2) and decided to retire in Maine (#5).

Then again, I'd like to see that list prioritized by how miserable the Summers are.

I'm not as tolerant of cold as I once was, but I hate heat and humidity with every fiber of my being.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15157 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post