SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do I remove burned plastic from dishwasher heater element?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I remove burned plastic from dishwasher heater element? Login/Join 
Picture of Suppressed
posted
I awoke to a horrible odor as a result of a plastic spoon falling onto the heater element in the dishwasher. What is the best way to remedy this situation? Should I remove the element and burn the remainder off with a torch? Do I just scrape off what I can and let it burn off during the next cycles? This is in one of the Maytag models that Appliance Brad recommended a few years ago.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
My first thought is to freeze it with a can of gum remover or canned air upside down. Might pop right off.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about removing the element, take it outside and plug it in to 110v? It should burn off and then stop smoking.

Do it carefully -

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
GE says to let it heat back up in the 'dry' cycle about four minutes and scrape it off. Maybe sense.

The residue may come off with acetone but I'm sure that is not approved.

http://products.geappliances.c...tent?contentId=17406

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Problem solved. I just scraped most of it then used really course steel wool to get the rest off. I was able to lift the element enough to get underneath. Thanks for the responses!

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post