SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1967 VW Beetle Restoration, Nice Story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1967 VW Beetle Restoration, Nice Story Login/Join 
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted
I'm not sure exactly why this grabbed me today...I'm not a car enthusiast, and I certainly could never restore one. But that's not the entire point of this story. I think it got me because my mom passed away from breast cancer in 2007, and people who work with cancer patients hold a special place in my heart. The story is nice, and the video embedded in it is pretty cool to watch. This lady's bond with her car is awesome and touching.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vol...-apos-150820285.html

Posts: 739 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Kathleen, may you and Annie have many miles more to travel.

And a thank you to Volkswagen, what a project. The cheap and easy way for them would to have given her a new car. The option they pursued cost them more monetarily but in the end meant more to all involved.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Very cool story and video!
Thanks for posting.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they put the wrong front fenders back on it because 67 fenders were one year only and impossible to get.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope she insures it well, that thing is beautiful and a rolling target for thieves now

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great story! As a kid, a buddy and I built a couple of kit car dune buggies and Baja Bugs. And Annie will float. Don't ask me how I know.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Kathleen, may you and Annie have many miles more to travel.

And a thank you to Volkswagen, what a project. The cheap and easy way for them would to have given her a new car. The option they pursued cost them more monetarily but in the end meant more to all involved.

Very well said! Thanks for posting this, OP!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
Hope she insures it well, that thing is beautiful and a rolling target for thieves now
From the video, it looks like she parks it out in the open in an alley behind her house. In the blink of an eye, it could be here today and gone tomorrow Confused

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Added Bug Bonus: If you find yourself in a spot too narrow to turn around in, have your crew hop out, pick it up and spin it.
Problem solved!
Need more scoot for your Bug? Install the Bus motor.
I miss my Bugs. But in the winter, they became a motorized German refrigerator. There was a gasoline powered heater you could get but it mainly produced carbon monoxide.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

Don't thieves target more sellable cars? Or cars from which the parts are more in demand? Ford pickups, Accords, etc. A 50 year-old Bug is an oddball.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:...But in the winter, they became a motorized German refrigerator....

I think it was invented to Uber the troops to the Russian front. The trip was the prep.

Hope she and the car have a long happy life.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love bugs.

I've had a 67, a 69, and a 74 Sun Bug with a sun roof, and we had a Thing at the deer camp, and an old Baja style 71 that was spraypainted camo that I learned to drive a stick on...

I've considered doing a 62 restoration and customization again. I love the style but it's fairly useless in the mountains of Colorado.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Looked good for that age and miles. The floor pan was a mess. They did an excellent job, except the chrome headlight shield would have to go. My ‘68 was where my V-card was punched.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post and link. Nice, upbeat story.
I can relate to loving a car... LOL.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Terrific story. And whatever VW spent re-doing her bug they'll get back ten times over in great PR. I congratulate them for doing it though. Really nice gift to her.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Everything about this happening was wonderful.
My only personal injection is those billboard whitewall tires stand out too much, they divert attention away from the rest of the car. I understand they were period correct, but some nice radial blackwalls would have been so much better.

Happy Motoring, Punch Bug!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post