SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
All involved add to my list.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Praying for your dad.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It's distressing to read what happened. God bless him and you.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Of course, prayers inbound for a total recovery and healing.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your dad and all inbound.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for a complete recovery for your Dad.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Bummer dude. Prayers for your Dad and family.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Praying for your dad.

While rodents generally aren't a risk for rabies, the fact that the squirrel was acting irregularly (for that squirrel) attacked him, then died would give me pause. Glad they are looking into the cause of death for the squirrel.

Please keep us updated.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck to your dad. Some types of squirrels carry bubonic plague, and it is common. Squirrel definitely had some infection, a lesson learned for all of us.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind replies and well wishes. we haven't gotten an update yet this morning. I'm encouraged that his fever was down a bit yesterday when we spoke to him. Hopefully, we'll get an update soon.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Prayers Sent.

What seems like little injuries' can go south fast if they're not taken care of. I lost one of my grandfathers' to an ingrown toenail that went septic. He died a little less then a week before my wedding.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your dad! Prayers for his speedy recovery, and peace to all affected by the injury!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your dad that his hand will be ok and this will pass quickly.

Squirrels can be aggressive as hell without any help from illness or disease. They are naturally destructive to homes. I generally leave them be but frankly, I will kill every one I see trying to screw around to enter a dwelling.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers lifted for your Dad... May his recovery be swift, total and complete.

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeez this is just an awful story. Hoping and praying for your dad and family. My sister does the same thing feeding squirrels. I've always told her to leave the damned rodents alone.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for your Father. I feed mine too, but never, ever handle them or let them get so familiar that they become risky. I learned early on they can carry a variety of diseases, including salmonella.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Holy shit. Typical soldier doesn’t want to go to sick call and be thought of as a “profile”. Just tough it out. Jeez. That’s horrible. Do you figure dad decided to squeeze the little shit to death after getting attacked? Hope they can help AND he keeps the finger. Workers are out putting up new gutters, fascia, etc and found a baby squirrel in the roof and asked what I wanted done with it. Told him to leave it to the mother lovin’ cats or buzzards. Can’t abide squirrels in my house.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow that's a really crazy story. Praying for a full recovery.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Damn, and you can’t go see him. Sorry this happened to him.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
This doctor in Norfolk discovered the cure for sepsis:

https://articles.mercola.com/s...epsis-mortality.aspx

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post