SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Malamutes:
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
And neither me nor my sister have any idea what to do with a picc line. I don't even know how long that stays in.

Send me a PM if you have any questions on the PICC, they are very easy to care for as long as you follow a few simple rules and do the flushes properly. Our son had a PICC and then triple lumen central line in his chest for over a year, so I am well versed in central line care, home IV administration, etc. Glad to hear he didn't lose more of his hand and is home.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate that. I have been strictly told not to mess with it. He now has a nurse scheduled to come by every day to tend to him. She was there today. She will tend to it until it comes out. He had a supply of the medication she will use shipped to the house late last night. They dedicated a cabinet in his kitchen for all that stuff. Looks like a pharmacy shelf in there. He's getting better care than I could give.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been keeping up on your thread and very glad to read your dad is hanging tough. Great news.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw this, I'm glad that your dad is doing better. Hoping for a speedy recovery. In my prayers.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Update: The tissue damage is too great. Finger is basically dead. It looks horrendous. As bad as a rattlesnake bite. It's got to come off.

Geez.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Dam’! Frown

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Aw shit! Sorry to hear this.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
My dad said, "At least it's not my trigger finger." And "every time I point I'll be flipping the bird." He is in good spirits. He's right handed and it's his left index finger. I'm sure his middle finger will take up the slack in no time.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That sucks Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Ah geez. At least he’s upbeat about it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the finger lost but it sounds like he has a good upbeat attitude and I am sure that he has the tiger by the tail. ..................................................drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many folks in that age bracket can easily see the big picture, and don't let small things get in their way.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank God his hand is saved. Dad gum squirrel.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yes, he has a good attitude.

posted Hide Post
Prayers for your Dad. And he sounds awesome! I told my wife your post about his comments. Outstanding.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about the finger. Prayers for recovery.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your Dad.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Yes, he has a good attitude.

I'll guess at his age he's come to terms with diminishment. A new story to tell and tomorrow is another day, good for him. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
I don't know you OR your Dad from Adam's housecat, but I DO think I know a little about vets from that era (My Father was also a WWII vet)... And you CAN believe him when he says that he didn't want to trouble anyone. That attitude is SO TYPICAL of folks from that time. Just know that he is in MY prayers and that we are all rooting for him to pull thru with as little permanent damage as possible. May God Bless........FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. The finger gets amputated on Tuesday. We're still not sure if it will just be the finger or if it will also be the index finger tarsal bone in the hand, too. Tarsal I think. Good part is that he's right handed and it's his left hand. He'll do fine, I'm sure. He bouces back from everything.