SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My dad was WW2 and Korean War veteran and was the toughest person I ever knew. Your dad will pull threw. Like they said your dad killed the squirrel in a round about way. Payers sent.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bgouker:
... your dad killed the squirrel in a round about way. Payers sent.

It's a theory but would explain the mysterious death.

And again, thanks all for the kind well wishes.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just wow. I’m so glad he’s on the mend, and hope it continues.
What a shitty thing to happen with such a pleasant pastime.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Just got an update that the swelling is down in the finger and hand, circulation is coming back. Fever is way down. Only a little tissue loss. PICC line is in. Praise God. Thanks for all you're prayers.

most excellent. good news. happy for the family

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Good news!!!

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I forgot about that. Animal control called today and said they tested for rabies and that was negative. I asked what it died from and he didn't know, just that it didn't have rabies.

Glad your Dad is on the mend. I didn’t say anything before because doctors check for it and I didn’t want to creat drama but a squirrel in Colorado tested positive for bubonic plague last July. Squirrels may not be big rabies carriers but they’re known to carry plague.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Just saw this post and I'm hoping your dad has a rapid and complete recovery!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
That's good news! I'm glad he's recovering.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really good news on the progress so far. If it were my parents I would be looking for a Rat Terrier to purchase for them.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Just got words that he is off IV antibiotics and they are considering releasing him as early as tomorrow with home health care. I am resisting that and asking that they keep him until next week. He has sent home health care away in the past when he fell and broke ribs. And neither me nor my sister have any idea what to do with a picc line. I don't even know how long that stays in.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got a call from the health department. Dad DID NOT have a staph infection. He had a necrotizing version of invasive group A streptococcal disease. So, the same thing that gives you a sore throat? Sort of, but worse when it gets past the skin.

I think this is what happened to a friend of mine. He had a small skin breach on a thumb (?) near one corner of the end of a nail. He'd worked out at the gym that day. Next thing he knows that thumb is getting sore. By late evening it was turning red and swelling up. Off to urgent care he went, at his wife's insistence.

Nearly lost the thumb. If he'd let it go any longer he could have lost more--including his life.

He spent five days in the hospital.

It turns out picking up such infections from gym equipment is not at all uncommon.

I am now very careful. In wintertime my skin gets dry and I sometimes get cracks in my fingers. I've taken to wearing full-finger gloves when I work out in wintertime.

(Ironically, I'm probably less exposed than I used to be, what with my gym's Wu Flu hygiene protocol.)

Glad to hear your dad's apparently on the mend.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
And... he's home. I thought the earliest he could come home was tomorrow. But my sister just got him home tonight. Good Lord, they just won't keep a patient very long. He's got a picc line. I thought a picc line was to drain the wound, but it's apparently a tube for IV injections. It's in his armpit of all places. His fever is gone. He's lucid again. The nurses will start coming by tomorrow on a daily basis to check his hand and give him his boopsters through his picc line. I haven't seen his hand, it's all wrapped up. He says he's still not out of the woods with respect to his finger. I can see the tip and it's orange, but that may be iodine.

Anyway, I can't thank you all enough for your well wishes and prayers. I'm a believer in prayer. Dad let me take this photos of his hand tonight.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good to know he’s home and doing better.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Eventhough he may be at home prayers are still inbound for speedy recovery. ............................... drill sgt

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I wish your father well.

My 92 yr Dad is a Korean vet too.

The Picc line goes directly to the heart as to efficiently deliver the antibiotics into his system.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PR64,

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad he is home. Prayers sent.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad your dad is doing better. It is crazy how something that seems to be nothing can turn into a life threatening situation so quickly.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's GREAT news. Fantastic.

Don't fight with old guys. They'll just kill you instead, squirrels included.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
And neither me nor my sister have any idea what to do with a picc line. I don't even know how long that stays in.

Send me a PM if you have any questions on the PICC, they are very easy to care for as long as you follow a few simple rules and do the flushes properly. Our son had a PICC and then triple lumen central line in his chest for over a year, so I am well versed in central line care, home IV administration, etc. Glad to hear he didn't lose more of his hand and is home.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Very glad he's home and feeling better, and that no rabies was found.

Hope he recovers well and that his hand heals up quickly.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post