SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Just got an update that the swelling is down in the finger and hand, circulation is coming back. Fever is way down. Only a little tissue loss. PICC line is in. Praise God. Thanks for all you're prayers.
I'm glad to hear this news. I hope it all turns out well.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What a relief for sure, brother.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Good news and glad to hear it!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just spotted this thread. Glad to hear you dad is improving although not out of the woods yet.

Any report from animal control on whether that squirrel had any nasty disease?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yes, I forgot about that. Animal control called today and said they tested for rabies and that was negative. I asked what it died from and he didn't know, just that it didn't have rabies.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck to him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Praise God! Hope is back to his ol' self soon Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to hear some good news.

Thank you.

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Go Dad!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Very happy to learn that your dad is getting better. Praying for this to continue.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I forgot about that. Animal control called today and said they tested for rabies and that was negative. I asked what it died from and he didn't know, just that it didn't have rabies.

I wouldn't be surprise if your Dad somehow killed it when it was biting him, grabbed it, crushed ribs, or smashed head. May not be that noticeable after the fact. Especially since you found it near the porch where the attack occurred.
Testing for rabies they just take the brain, so would really do a real necropsy to find out.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Question?? Any other squirrels in the area acting funnier than normal or appear to be sick ????? Still sending prayers to fathers speedy recovery. ........................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Your dad is so tough that when he was bitten by a squirrel, the squirrel died. I’m glad he’s doing better. Your dad, I mean and not the squirrel because zombie squirrels would be bad.

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I just got a call from the health department. Dad DID NOT have a staph infection. He had a necrotizing version of invasive group A streptococcal disease. So, the same thing that gives you a sore throat? Sort of, but worse when it gets past the skin.

From a New York Health Dept website:
quote:

Invasive GAS disease is a severe and sometimes life-threatening infection in which the bacteria have invaded parts of the body, such as the blood, deep muscle and fat tissue or the lungs. Two of the most severe, but least common, forms of invasive GAS disease are called necrotizing fasciitis (infection of muscle and fat tissue) and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome (a rapidly progressing infection causing low blood pressure/shock and injury to organs such as the kidneys, liver and lungs). Approximately 20 percent of patients with necrotizing fasciitis and 60 percent with STSS die. About 10-15 percent of patients with other forms of invasive group A streptococcal disease die.

She told me my dad almost certainly had this bacteria already on his skin when the squirrel bit him, and that was how the bacteria got into the body. Not from the squirrel. The bite just created a path into the body for a bacteria he already had on his skin.

I told her that I was really concerned because I found the squirrel dead. Not from any apparent injuries, but just dead. That's why I was concerned for rabies. I found the squirrel spread eagle with its mouth wide open in a state of rigor mortis. There was blood on the squirrels nose and mouth.

She asked me when the bite occurred in relation to me finding the squirrel. I said 2, possibly 3 days after the bite. My dad got sick the say day the squirrel died. She said that is the incubation period for Group A Strep.

So I called animal control back and asked about that damned squirrel. I was told respiratory infections can be fatal to rodents because they apparently can't breathe through their mouths. She said it was possible the squirrel got strep from my dad and that's why it died.

Dude.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So... Your dad is the actual villain in this story/event.?

Not cool that he got sick, but kind of a funny/odd twist he can tell people about later.

Oh... an I hope he has a full recovery and long life to tell the story.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh man... wishing your dad the best

Posts: 9 | Registered: January 25, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still, none of this would have happened if the tree rat hadn’t sunk his fangs into your dad, damn squirrel damn near took out a two war combat veteran! Excellent your dad is healing up!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
He's not out of the woods quite yet. He's still on heavy IV antibiotics. The circulation is returning to his finger as the swelling is going down, but it was blue for the better part of two days so we don't know what the long term effect of that will be. He's got the picc line in. So we're very hopeful that things will turn out well.

The health department not only told me about the bacteria he had, they asked a lot of questions about who has been around him. They want my mom to start antibiotics, too. She scraped her shin when she was trying to help him up so there's a concern that got infected. But my sister who has been cleaning and dressing it and applying antibiotic ointment says it looks good.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's not out of the woods quite yet. He's still on heavy IV antibiotics.
Vancomycin? That's what I've had (several times) via IV.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
No idea.