SIGforum
My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4540019974

February 23, 2021, 08:52 AM
triggertreat
My dad, a Korean War and Vietnam War combat veteran, squirrel; bite: update - finger has to come off
All involved add to my list.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!
February 23, 2021, 08:56 AM
amc
Praying for your dad.
February 23, 2021, 09:02 AM
darthfuster
It's distressing to read what happened. God bless him and you.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
February 23, 2021, 09:08 AM
just1tym
Of course, prayers inbound for a total recovery and healing.

Regards, Will G.
February 23, 2021, 09:08 AM
coloradohunter44
Prayers for your dad and all inbound.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
February 23, 2021, 09:10 AM
Ozarkwoods
Prayers sent for a complete recovery for your Dad.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 23, 2021, 09:15 AM
hberttmank
Bummer dude. Prayers for your Dad and family.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
February 23, 2021, 09:20 AM
slabsides45
Praying for your dad.

While rodents generally aren't a risk for rabies, the fact that the squirrel was acting irregularly (for that squirrel) attacked him, then died would give me pause. Glad they are looking into the cause of death for the squirrel.

Please keep us updated.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
February 23, 2021, 09:23 AM
c1steve
Good luck to your dad. Some types of squirrels carry bubonic plague, and it is common. Squirrel definitely had some infection, a lesson learned for all of us.

-c1steve
February 23, 2021, 09:42 AM
Micropterus
Thanks for the kind replies and well wishes. we haven't gotten an update yet this morning. I'm encouraged that his fever was down a bit yesterday when we spoke to him. Hopefully, we'll get an update soon.

February 23, 2021, 09:58 AM
navyshooter
Prayers Sent.

What seems like little injuries' can go south fast if they're not taken care of. I lost one of my grandfathers' to an ingrown toenail that went septic. He died a little less then a week before my wedding.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi
February 23, 2021, 10:38 AM
Elk Hunter
So sorry to hear about your dad! Prayers for his speedy recovery, and peace to all affected by the injury!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
February 23, 2021, 10:42 AM
83v45magna
Prayers for your dad that his hand will be ok and this will pass quickly.

Squirrels can be aggressive as hell without any help from illness or disease. They are naturally destructive to homes. I generally leave them be but frankly, I will kill every one I see trying to screw around to enter a dwelling.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11
February 23, 2021, 10:48 AM
Hawgster
Prayers lifted for your Dad... May his recovery be swift, total and complete.

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
February 23, 2021, 12:20 PM
phil in indy
Jeez this is just an awful story. Hoping and praying for your dad and family. My sister does the same thing feeding squirrels. I've always told her to leave the damned rodents alone.
February 23, 2021, 12:25 PM
YooperSigs
Best wishes for your Father. I feed mine too, but never, ever handle them or let them get so familiar that they become risky. I learned early on they can carry a variety of diseases, including salmonella.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
February 23, 2021, 01:13 PM
10X-Shooter
Holy shit. Typical soldier doesn’t want to go to sick call and be thought of as a “profile”. Just tough it out. Jeez. That’s horrible. Do you figure dad decided to squeeze the little shit to death after getting attacked? Hope they can help AND he keeps the finger. Workers are out putting up new gutters, fascia, etc and found a baby squirrel in the roof and asked what I wanted done with it. Told him to leave it to the mother lovin’ cats or buzzards. Can’t abide squirrels in my house.
February 23, 2021, 01:21 PM
1s1k
Wow that's a really crazy story. Praying for a full recovery.
February 23, 2021, 01:23 PM
TMats
Damn, and you can’t go see him. Sorry this happened to him.

February 23, 2021, 01:54 PM
This doctor in Norfolk discovered the cure for sepsis:

https://articles.mercola.com/s...epsis-mortality.aspx