SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kentucky becomes 1st state in nation to require Medicaid recipients to work
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kentucky becomes 1st state in nation to require Medicaid recipients to work Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I hope our Rino Governor follows suit.

Shortly after the waiver was announced that allows the state of Kentucky to implement a work requirement for Medicaid benefits, House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi said: “The elderly, disabled, pregnant women will suffer from today’s draconian decree.”

However, she was not accurate.

The work requirement will apply to people like Tara Bassett, who is educated and worked full time until she was sidelined with severe depression. She already puts in 15 hours a week and picks up side jobs. As you watch her work, she appears able bodied.

“I am able bodied except for this little problem up here,” Tara gestures to her head, “called mental illness.”

She says without Medicaid, her prescriptions would cost her $900 per month, and she can’t make it without some help.

The work requirement is 80 hours per month. So, Tara, who is already picking up jobs on the side, is close to the minimum. She will need to document the hours and pay a premium between $1 and $15 per month.

Pregnant women, children, primary care providers and those deemed too frail to work are exempted from the work requirement.

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin says the work requirement, coupled with the premium, is intended to give recipients some “skin in the game,” some ownership of their own Medical benefits and a pathway back to contributing to public funds instead of drawing from them.

“An assimilation back into working society, into being part of the fabric of the community,” Bevin said. “The intent is not to give people pain but to provide opportunity, to give people a chance to do for themselves and the dignity that is associated with that.”

As predicted, opponents filed suit. Three organizations; the national health program, the Kentucky Equal Justice Center and the Southern Poverty Law Center filed suit claiming that the work requirement threatens irreparable harm to the health and welfare of the poorest and most vulnerable.

Opponents, such as Democratic Congressman John Yarmuth, say processing the paperwork and premiums will put a burden on the state and drive up expenses. He also says illiterate people and those who have a hard time with basic tasks will not manage the paperwork required to document the work, and they will just stop taking care of their health.

“Thousands of people, who presumably are not in the greatest health anyway, now lose their coverage. People will die,” Yarmuth said.

A substantial portion of Medicaid recipients in Kentucky are drug addicts. Johnny Pittman was one of them. Without being compelled by the state, he made a decision to combat his addiction to drugs and public money.

Pittman got clean and took advantage of programs for occupational therapy as well as vocational rehab. He now has a prominent job at the Oxmoor motor group in Kentucky and his health care is private sector.

“I’m setting an example for my children,” Pittman said. “I am capable to work and I’m working.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ipients-to-work.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Oh no!! Thousand will die! Thousands have already died!

Give me a break. It amazes me how stupidly some people react. I love our governor. If it makes Pepsi unhappy then it must be a good thing.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I don't recall the state but the concept of "employment" was pretty broad. Counted was job training, looking for work, classes on child development, budgets etc. nothing was very strenuous or difficult.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I don’t agree with everything the Governor does, but he keeps building stock in my book.

The state has a massive unfunded retirement debt. The governor tried to find a legislative solution to pay the bill. Many in his own party shunned it. So it went no where. So in the next budget cycle, he trimmed the budget by 6 percent to fund the unfunded liability. You should have heard the screams. Jeff Co lost 25 mil off of school transportation costs. And the teachers cried the hardest about a legislative fix for the pensions. The gov simply said something to the effect of “I told you there was no money, you don’t believe me so the money had to be cut from some where”

And four hours into the shooting in Marshall County, he was on the scene. He went out of his way to thank the first responders.

And now this. Yeah, I like it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Time for Trump to roll out his New Deal.

You dont work? You dont eat. You dont get free Obama phones. And fuck off.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I expect the number of people on ‘aid’ will go way down. That’s how it works with drug testing too. They just go elsewhere.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shortly after the waiver was announced that allows the state of Kentucky to implement a work requirement for Medicaid benefits, House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi said: “The elderly, disabled, pregnant women will suffer from today’s draconian decree.”

I'm confused. "The elderly" already qualify for Medicare. The disabled, those receiving SSDI, are automatically enrolled in Medicare. No choice, automatically deducted from their benefits.

Does the House Minority leader confuse Medicare with Medicaid? Or is The Woodman missing something?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:

I'm confused. "The elderly" already qualify for Medicare. The disabled, those receiving SSDI, are automatically enrolled in Medicare. No choice, automatically deducted from their benefits.

Does the House Minority leader confuse Medicare with Medicaid? Or is The Woodman missing something?

No, you aren't really missing anything.

There is a playbook that the libs use. It's more of a flow chart really. When cuts are made to any entitlement, the book says to claim "ERMEGHAD PEOPLE WILL DIE" despite it being anywhere close to the truth. You can see the abuses of the system day in and day out, but the Dems will always trot out a single case that they claim will die, and use them as the example of the gravy train.

A few things about KY.

We have some of the fattest poor people you'll ever see. In some areas I used to work, a KY EBT card was a form of identification.

The Dollar General is a popular store here, communities big and small. The Dollar General is very heavily subsidized by the government handout. EVERYBODY in these communities are getting a draw check. Most of them are scamming the system, the classic buy up a bunch of junk food and then go load it into a year old Escalade purchased with money from your home based pharmaceutical business.

Oh, and Kentucky actually tears them up on fraud arrests. If you lie on an application for any government benefit, you get charged, arrested and convicted.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Would like to see this in Minnesota!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi said: “The elderly, disabled, pregnant women will suffer from today’s draconian decree.”

I don't recall having seen all that many elderly, disabled, pregnant women. Another example of how non-functional her brain has become.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Look at how the State of Maine reformed their system. They led the nation in the percentage on public assistance.
You want benefits and are not truly disabled, you have to work. It didn't take much and the welfare rolls dropped almost overnight.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi said: “The elderly, disabled, pregnant women will suffer from today’s draconian decree.”

Who are specifically excluded from this requirement.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
"People will die,” Yarmuth said.

Curious. It used to be that people would die if they didn't work.

Perhaps Yarmuth wasn't aware of this provision:

quote:
Pregnant women, children, primary care providers and those deemed too frail to work are exempted from the work requirement.

It's more likely that he was totally aware of it but rejected it as it didn't fit the narrative.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Then perish.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If you are on the facespace and are so inclined, follow governor Bevin. Some of his live stuff is hilarious.

www.opspectraining.com

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Yo! If I get a job I won't need no Medicaid. That jus' ain't fair.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
"People will die!" This is news? Everyone dies.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post