SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way Login/Join 
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
So I have other friends down there moving boats to safety. Ordered out of some marinas at 11 am. Palm Beach County decided to close all bridges (no openings for boats to pass)at 3 pm. Apparently same for Broward and Miami-Dade also. Lots of highly pissed off people down there now. What a cluster foxtrot.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

Call me when your canyon snows start doing this:

To give you an idea... A fully developed hurricane releases the same amount of energy as the explosion of a 10-megaton nuke every 20 minutes, the NOAA says. That's more than 666 times bigger than the "Little Boy" bomb that the US dropped on Hiroshima.

Why do you live there? Seems dangerous as all get out to this yankee.

Stay safe reloader.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry FL folks, I am praying for your safety. I'm not a cruel prick.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Weather.com is forecasting the highest winds in the Orlando area during the coming week will reach 17 mph.
They just upped it to 30mph so time to bring in loose objects, but no real concern
I just checked again. The highest shown in the Orlando area for the next ten days on weather.com has shifted from Tuesday (down to 6 mph from 17 mph) to Sunday (up to 28 mph). If the weather obeys that forecast it is certainly no big deal. Notice that I said "if."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
1... The name Isaias is of Spanish origin and means God Is My Salvation.

A good thought with everything going on in the world.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just checked again. The highest shown in the Orlando area for the next ten days on weather.com has shifted from Tuesday (down to 6 mph from 17 mph) to Sunday (up to 28 mph). If the weather obeys that forecast it is certainly no big deal. Notice that I said "if."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now it is a tropical storm warning for Mouseville. So they are predicting 39 mph. We had a lot more than that with Christobal and it made landfall 150 miles west of here. We got ten inches of rain though. I only get concerned when we have Category three or more.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
1... The name Isaias is of Spanish origin and means God Is My Salvation.

A good thought with everything going on in the world.

The name is of Hebrew origin which the Spanish transliterated to the above.
But we are OK with anyone that wants to use it. Big Grin

(and we pronunce it yeh-sha-YAH-hoo or yeh-sha-YEE, and sometimes Steve.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43863 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Hispanic names for hurricanes, where is the BLM crowd with name suggestions?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^17 years ago:

"In July 2003, Texas representative Sheila Jackson Lee (a member of the NAACP and the Congressional Black Caucus, and an ardent supporter of the civil rights leadership) criticized the weather establishment for their selection of names with which to christen hurricanes, stating that “All racial groups should be represented.” Rep. Lee added that she hoped in the future storm lists “would try to be inclusive of African American names” such as “Keisha, Jamal and Deshawn.”"

Link

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
So I have other friends down there moving boats to safety. Ordered out of some marinas at 11 am. Palm Beach County decided to close all bridges (no openings for boats to pass)at 3 pm. Apparently same for Broward and Miami-Dade also. Lots of highly pissed off people down there now. What a cluster foxtrot.

A REAL cluster from what I've been told. A few charter sportfish boats didn't get the memo and were stuck on the ocean side of Hillsboro inlet. Not sure what the outcome was. Bridge tenders just all left.

I manage/maintain a 72' San Lorenzo MY and he has a tow behind 20' center console with him. Since our Bahamas trip got cancelled, his full time slip is in Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale and has very strong concrete floating docks, he took the boat up to a marina in Palm Beach (Palm Harbor) last Monday and was planning on riding it out there and they also have very strong concrete floaters, at 11am this morning they told everyone in the marina that it's not hurricane rated and everyone has to leave by 11am tomorrow. He also found out the bridges were closing at 4pm, guess it was 3pm.......called me in a HUGE panic......I had my 62' Predator done this morning, but 8 hours on the 66' Manhattan and only 1.5 hours into it. There was no way I could do it, so found him a Captain and mate, thank God he didn't need any bridges opened in Fort Lauderdale to get to Pier 66. I got done at 8:30pm......just have my house to do in the morning, 30 mins......Exhausted......

Last one (Tropical storm) the 66' was at Bahia Mar with strong floating docks and they're so much EASIER to tie the yacht up.......you just throw a bunch of lines to a bunch of cleats and tie everything TIGHT. Now, it's at a fixed dock behind a house with 3' of tide normally and you leave a little slack for a bit of tidal surge, but always wondering, is it tight enough so there's not too much momentum flinging around on the lines and trying to break everything they're tied to, OR is it too tight.....uuuuuuuugggghhh...... The ONLY good news is it's moving fast.......

It's REALLY looking like we're going to get wacked....... As long as it doesn't get much stronger. I don't worry about my house with 80 mph......the boats on the other hand.....all it takes is one guy who didn't prepare and it breaks free playing ping pong down the entire canal with everyone else's boat.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks trapper. Somehow I missed that gem. Maybe I could write the Weather Channel and get them to endorse those names for Winter storms.

posted Hide Post
quote:
A REAL cluster from what I've been told. A few charter sportfish boats didn't get the memo and were stuck on the ocean side of Hillsboro inlet. Not sure what the outcome was. Bridge tenders just all left.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is crazy. That sort of stuff usually does not happen here. The order to evacuate the harbor is issued well in advance and the bridges stay open for long periods. They close the bridges when the winds hit 39 mph. The bridge tenders are not allowed to leave. They might close the bridges to boat traffic if there is very heavy evacuation traffic. Of course here it is much smaller boats and shrimp boats.

Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Yes, I prefer floating docks by far. My boss doesn’t like them. Like you say, tie it off tight with some fenders and good to go. If your permanent slip is floating, great for working on the hull sides.
I bet the St. Lucie lock and points west were busy as hell today too. Probably a lot of boats headed over to the west coast.
Get some rest man, more to come tomorrow.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Also, had a friend at Highbourne on a charter he picked up at Chub. Got them 4 days of a seven day charter and pulled the plug. Told em to get there plane back to Chub to pick em up. Dropped them at Chub and headed out. Got into Port Everglades about midnight Wednesday night, anchored up near Pier 66 and then met his pre-arranged tug to help him get up the river Thursday morning. Charter broker was pissed on Wednesday morning. Wonder what he’s thinking now.....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Also, had a friend at Highbourne on a charter he picked up at Chub. Got them 4 days of a seven day charter and pulled the plug. Told em to get there plane back to Chub to pick em up. Dropped them at Chub and headed out. Got into Port Everglades about midnight Wednesday night, anchored up near Pier 66 and then met his pre-arranged tug to help him get up the river Thursday morning. Charter broker was pissed on Wednesday morning. Wonder what he’s thinking now.....

My buddy is FT on a 130' MY and has a charter on board. They couldn't get a plane to pickup their charter with the covid stuff. Also couldn't get back in time and are weathered at the new Marina on Normans. He says it's a well protected spot.....imagine having 8 charter guests onboard during a f'ing hurricane.......

Yeah, I'm going to get a good nights sleep tonight......

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Having lived half my life in hurricane areas, I’m glad I’m out of that shit. Finally sold our house at the coast.

Especially the way the media and politicians hype this shit up. North Carolina is already in a state of emergency. Da Fuq? Really? Hurricanes aren’t a new thing.

Sorry for those dealing with it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't see the hype for this storm. Unless things change it's not too bad right now.

I'm seeing people evacuate on parts on the NC coast already. WTF. If this was supposed to be a cat 4-5 OK but really.

Half of the problem is the media hypes everything up to get more people to view/watch their shows. More views equally more advertising money. F*&^)*& just give people the truth.

Yes, there will be bad storms. Storms that will devastate the area they land on. From the data I've been looking at this is not one of those storms.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16390 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
We are on the water in south Palm Beach County. The bridges are a real ball buster - they closed and no one knew. My buddy had a 48’ Catamaran with a big ass mast - just coming back from Dry Tortugas to Lighthouse point and rushed it to get back given the storm. The tender told him his opening at 11:00 today was the last scheduled opening - big surprise and lucky.

My boat is on a lift and I just raised it as high as would go and then put on snubbers to stop the swing. Then picked up yard - anything Cat2 and down we prepare but usually a lot of nothing. May lose power but have gas and generators -and staying away from stores.

Jimmy - good luck and know that exhaustion well, prepping boats is hard work. Anyone wants to monitor, wunderground and personal weather station KFLBOCAR153. Boca Raton PWS

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm on the Treasure Coast right where it makes its closest approach. I guess ima bust out the ladder tomorrow and harvest my mangoes and avocados!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
We are on the water in south Palm Beach County. The bridges are a real ball buster - they closed and no one knew. My buddy had a 48’ Catamaran with a big ass mast - just coming back from Dry Tortugas to Lighthouse point and rushed it to get back given the storm. The tender told him his opening at 11:00 today was the last scheduled opening - big surprise and lucky.

My boat is on a lift and I just raised it as high as would go and then put on snubbers to stop the swing. Then picked up yard - anything Cat2 and down we prepare but usually a lot of nothing. May lose power but have gas and generators -and staying away from stores.

Jimmy - good luck and know that exhaustion well, prepping boats is hard work. Anyone wants to monitor, wunderground and personal weather station KFLBOCAR153. Boca Raton PWS

Yeah. I ran an 85' Princess MY down the New River yesterday. Boat's been at the yard for 3 weeks to do a 1.5 week job, then they kind of all of a sudden finished and forced it out of there to make room for their hurricane reservations. Supposed to launch at Noon and of course hit the water at 2:30, then the starboard C32 lost prime and we couldn't get it primed for 3 hours till a CAT mechanic came and it had a bad check valve. The New River train bridge announced it was closing from 7pm-10pm for maintenance, got through at 6:45.......but I didn't hear ANYWHERE that the bridges were closing today until an owner called me at around 1pm today and had to leave Palm Harbor marina and said the bridge was closing at 4pm......But virtually no notice.

I got all of the boats done by 8:30pm today......missed out on an easy run with bringing the San Lorenzo down and getting paid for a full day for around a half a day plus a good tip.....but the 66' Sunseeker I was already committed to and manage it.........I'm thoroughly exhausted......have to bring in 2 bbq grills and an outdoor bench tomorrow morning at my house and done........

THEN, going to have to put everything back together after the storm and the massive clean up of branches and crap......and flying to Detroit on the 10th to bring a 50' Post down to Fort Lauderdale, IF the Erie Canal opens on the 10th. It was supposed to open May 15th before all of the shut downs.