SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way Login/Join 
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I wonder if some of that bridge closure cluster down there was the local politicians showing those evil Trump supporting boaters who the boss is? Remember all the Trump boat parades? Nah, they wouldn’t do that, would they?

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
I wonder if some of that bridge closure cluster down there was the local politicians showing those evil Trump supporting boaters who the boss is? Remember all the Trump boat parades? Nah, they wouldn’t do that, would they?

Seriously? They are locking down bridges just because someone might have a Trump boat parade during a hurricane? Most of the boats I’ve seen in those parades can comfortably fit under most drawbridges anyway.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

Seriously? They are locking down bridges just because someone might have a Trump boat parade during a hurricane? Most of the boats I’ve seen in those parades can comfortably fit under most drawbridges anyway.

No, he means just to screw Trump supporters period. Most larger yacht owners are Trump supporters as well. Just like all of the other recent disruption we've had with riots and people breaking statues and monuments.

It is definately ODD how it went down. There was no notice, no announcements except on the VHF radio, only a few hours earlier from bridge tenders. It was so short on notice that a few charter Sportfish left the dock for a 1/2 day charter......and got stuck outside, on the wrong side of the inlet bridge. It's weird as I've heard of a few bridges operating, but most not operating and the bridge tenders not even there. Like most of them went on strike or something through Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. It was a beautiful day with no wind for them to close....only about 10 knots.....and nobody seems to be mass evacuating for this one (bridges holding up traffic).

Here, watch the video:
https://wsvn.com/news/local/bo...of-hurricane-isaias/

Problem is, if you were on channel 09 and listening to it, you were off the dock and underway and headed somewhere. Here's a guy that took a 85' yacht out for the day and got stuck.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Swill, yes, seriously. You do know the politics in those 3 counties, don’t you?
See Jimmy’s reply for more detail.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Dwill, not Swill dangit! Fat finger problems.
And by the way, I never said anything about a Trump parade during a hurricane! As for Jimmy’s post, have you seen any pictures from any big billfish tournaments the last couple years? Trump flags line the docks flying from outriggers and towers on large sport fisherman. You know, the kind of gold plater sport fisherman that have to move to safety for these storms and require bridge openings to do so.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:

holdem: I caught the comment about yards that charge an annual fee for a guaranteed haul out space. Apparently you think its bullshit. Wel it isn't! And $10,000 is for a boat in the 60 foot range. Larger boats more money. There are at least 2 yards on the Okeechobee Waterway that do huge business doing storm haulouts. And yes, that fee is every year whether you use it or not. And, if you do not properly tend to your boat for a storm according to your plan, or you don't have a professional captain, your deductible will go to 50% of the boats value. So yes, its a different world that maybe you haven't been exposed to.

You misunderstood me. I do not think it is bullshit, I believe it 100%. It just astounds me that people can spend that type of money for a what if scenario. Let's say they go 10 years without needing it, that's $100K. That might not buy a house in today's market, but damn, that's a lot of money to me. I know it's not to those people, but it is to me.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have known a few of those people. They are not like the rest of us. The amount of money they have is ridiculous. Some manage to write off a portion of the cost to business. We had a local billfish tournament and I got to see some of the boats. They had to postpone it for a week due to Tropical Storm Christobal. They were easily able to hang around for a full week. There was only ONE boat that had a local registration.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

holdem: I caught the comment about yards that charge an annual fee for a guaranteed haul out space. Apparently you think its bullshit. Wel it isn't! And $10,000 is for a boat in the 60 foot range. Larger boats more money. There are at least 2 yards on the Okeechobee Waterway that do huge business doing storm haulouts. And yes, that fee is every year whether you use it or not. And, if you do not properly tend to your boat for a storm according to your plan, or you don't have a professional captain, your deductible will go to 50% of the boats value. So yes, its a different world that maybe you haven't been exposed to.

You misunderstood me. I do not think it is bullshit, I believe it 100%. It just astounds me that people can spend that type of money for a what if scenario. Let's say they go 10 years without needing it, that's $100K. That might not buy a house in today's market, but damn, that's a lot of money to me. I know it's not to those people, but it is to me.

It's really hard to put into perspective for people outside of the industry..... I'll run the numbers for a 2019 66' Sunseeker Manhattan that I manage. It has 5 staterooms (bedrooms) 4 heads (bathrooms), and sleeps 10. But basically you have to have a $30 million net worth or more to buy/own/maintain this vessel. But the $10k a year is a drop in the bucket, and insurance "may" require out of the water storage, or "may" have a cheaper deductible, hurricane deductable a lot of times will be $50-100k on a boat like this depending on the policy the owner chose.

Boat: $2.6 million to purchase, losing 15% per year depreciation.
Dockage: $18,000-55,000 per year (Ft. Lauderdale)
Maintenance: figure $50,000-75,000 per year (whether you use it or not).
Fuel: We burn 4 GALLONS of diesel per mile at cruise (100 GPH at 25-27 knots). Literally you're throwing $300 per hour over the side in fuel. Here to Nassau we burn 650 gallons in a day, and could burn more in a day (we hold 1050).
Crew: $750 per day plus expenses, so $850-900 per day. (If the boat had a Full Time Captain, which is not unheard of if the owner uses it alot, you can add another $75-100,000 for his salary and compensation package instead). The 75' would usually always have a FT Captain and sometimes a FT mate also.

For a week trip to the Exumas, the owner is spending $30-40,000. We usually do 12-14 day trip every 3 months. So, probably $50-60,000......

NOW, move up 9' in length to the 75' Sunseeker yacht and ALL of those cost numbers DOUBLE. Has the same amount of sleeping accomodations, just everything is a whole lot bigger....probably 40% more volume. I run some yachts that burn 200 GPH at cruise and chew through 2-3,000 gallons of diesel fuel, each and every day on a delivery.

I had one owner with a 58' Azimut that was spending $50-75,000 every single month. for 14 months straight on a week Bahamas trip (them Nassau-Nassau), we'd do the Exumas and Harbor Island.......The last trip they spent $250k for a week. Brought 2 other couples and all of their children.........

You'd drop your drawers if I told you some of the most wasteful things I've seen. I had one owner have his G4 flown from Fort Lauderdale to the Abacos and back with a case of blueberries on it. Another owner spend $2500 to have someone get on a plane with 2 of their favorite pizzas and fly to nassau and back. Had another Captain fly me to and from St. Maarten, put me up in a hotel for 3 nights, rental car and all expenses just to bring them a starter for a 16 cylinder MTU that they needed yesterday. It doesn't get held up in customs for 3 days to a week if it's in your luggage and you have a copy of the cruising permit.

A Captain friend of mine's owner, rented a private island for a birthday party for his buddy for $100k for 1 night, they liked it so much they extended it to a second night.

Had another owner tip me $300 for bringing their family from shore to their anchored 112' yacht 1/4 a mile away, they didn't have a small boat handy. Had another owner pay me top dollar full time pay as a mate, back when I was a mate, to work only 2 days a week because they wanted priority.

The yacht is their ultimate toy. The houses come first, the private jet they can justify (in their minds) as necessary for business, the yacht is total piss away money, but also their baby.

It's mind boggling, even to me at times.

I'm NOT a huge fan of hauling the boat out of the water for a hurricane. They put the boats 1-2' away from each other, just sitting on stands and blocks on the ground and only relying on the weight of the boat to hold them down. If the neighboring vessel didn't take off his enclosure or this' and that's, they're hitting and landing on your vessel, in a few strong hurricanes, one boat fell over on it's side and knocked the whole row over, all on top of each other like domino's. I prefer a very strong, concrete floating dock, plenty of fenders, plenty of lines tied tight so no momentum going, and remove anything and everything that isn't bolted down.......UNFORTUNATELY, here in Fort Lauderdale, there are so many yachts, your options are limited. All of the out of the water, on land spots are sold out 6 months in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Holden, no problem. I see it all the time and it is a different world. And yes $100,000 is a nice chunk of money. Good for people in the marine industry though! Like I sometimes say, a lot of these people can spit on the sidewalk and make money.

Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Great explanation by Jimmy. They can probably write off the GV as a business expense. Yachts a little harder. And the examples Jimmy posted are for what I would consider average size boats down south. When you get up to 92 Vikings, big Burgers or Westports it’s even crazier. Then there are the really big ones. Feadships, Lurrsen, Blohm and Voss. Unimaginable money.

posted Hide Post
Good news is Abaco, Bahamas knocked Isais back down to a Tropical Storm, the bad news is it made Isais turn much more Westerdly and looks like it's heading directly for Fort Lauderdale......looks to be about 90 NM away at this point, and then skirt up the FL coast. Also supposed to go back to a CAT 1 by tomorrow night.

https://weather.com/storms/hur...ast?cm_ven=hp-slot-1

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
When you referenced Normans, were you referring to the island formerly owned by Carlos Lederer?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^
When you referenced Normans, were you referring to the island formerly owned by Carlos Lederer?

Yes, aproximately 45 NM SE of Nassau, Bahamas. A yacht owner bought the entire island and put a big marina in there, but it's private and expensive......if you know the owner or his Captain, you can dock there and it's like $10 per foot per night and no ammenities.....no restaurant, etc......just Carlos Lehder's landing strip (which has been resurfaced). LOLOLOL but it's a good hurricane hole with strong new docks. My friend did ok there without any damage (130' MY) but a 60' Azimut lost all of his backlight stainless steel name plate letters, lost it's top (guessing a big bimini top) jet ski's got all smashed up.......

posted Hide Post
Thanks that was interesting. Glad your friend did OK.

posted Hide Post
Looks like we got away unscathed down here in Broward County. I was sleeping when it came through early morning, but judging that my palm trees only have 1 snapped branch on each, but hanging on the trees and no debris on the ground anywhere, we probably saw no more than 40 mph gusts at best. Hopefully the same goes for further up North.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit pissed. We didn't even get any rain here today. I may have to turn the sprinkler system back on.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was the biggest non event tropical storm ever. I woke up at 6:20am and looked outside. "Hmmm, it doesn't look wet". So I walked outside and looked up at the sky. Not only was it not cloudy, it was clear blue sky. So I went for a two hour bicycle ride.

It did rain (term used loosely) a few times throughout the day, but barely enough to make the ground wet.

The wind was... well... there wasn't any.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I'm a bit pissed. We didn't even get any rain here today. I may have to turn the sprinkler system back on.

I see it as better than the alternative.

I have to go put a bunch of yachts back together and it's hotter than hell outside.......

Will be flying to Detroit next Monday, to bring a yacht through Canada (which will be interesting with Covid) and through upstate NY and down to FL. Delivery has been delayed due to the NY State Erie Canal system not opening until Aug 10th (from May 15th).

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I"m ok with the big miss.... The rain would be good, we did get a few bands on Saturday, nothing significant and just a strong breeze, lucky it turned and stayed out to sea.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, that was the biggest non event tropical storm ever

^^^^^^^^
I know what you mean. We have had several of those since the 1970s. Beats the alternative.