SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Why does this seem so familiar?

jimmyjimmyjimmyjimmyjimmy

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Why does this seem so familiar?

jimmyjimmyjimmyjimmyjimmy

Because it's ALWAYS the same 3 people thaat have some sort of issue, and are always stirring the pot with BS not even remotely on the same topic as the post they're quoting or the thread. Or take something totally out of context like CNN, and dogpile on it. It's ALWAYS the same 3, VTAIL, RHINOSO and LS1GTO. They come into a thread that I started and piss all over it with personal attacks, BS, and nonsense that isn't even pertinent to the discussion. Which is just plain rude and disrespectful and quite frankly, if they're going to dish it out, I'm going to dish it back. If you read page 1, my posts are all on topic, respectful, and normal, Simply giving everyone a heads up that a storm is coming, then everything goes to hell in a hand basket with BS, which I ignored for quite a while. But enough is enough.

Why do you always single me out, without ever singling THEM out??? I'm never the one to start it, and generally never stir the pot. If you look at my posts, I never say anything racist, don't disrespect members, don't personally attack people, am generally caring to others, and generally post helpful things.

The guy's posting a "the sky is falling" picture and can't even keep pickles in his refrigerator and toilet paper in his bathroom? Seriously? He's the one person, OF ALL PEOPLE, that NEEDS an extra long heads up. There are posts from 2 other members chiding VTAIL for not having pickles and toilet paper in my thread. Post #12,#18, So it's ok for others to do it.....but not me, who it was directed at?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, stop posting BS and maybe people will stop picking on you. You posted BS tax advice in LS1GTO's thread about his step son's investing and then went on to defend that advice with further BS advise.

Even in your own thread right here you started with a sensationalist, BS title. There are no TS warnings in Florida as of 2am this morning. There hasn't been and for two days there wasn't even a tropical storm when you started your thread.

In PHPaul's thread about the engine that in the second sentence of his first post he clearly states in was pulled from a sailboat, you post on the second page, "It most likely came out of a sailboat." You clearly didn't even read the first post. Even in a thread where you probably have some expertise on the subject, you can't help it and wind up stepping on your own dick. This was after Para had warned you, in the Chinese dam thread, to read threads before you post in them.

You started it with your flying "experience" and haven't failed to entertain since. Post after post after post. You're a good guy, you mean well, so people are trying to help you and you still don't get it.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Boat yards charge around a $10k annual fee for a guaranteed haul out space on a 60'er or so,

Did anyone else catch this?

The boat yard changes $800 per month, just to guarantee a ride out of the water, in case it is needed. $800... per month... for an "if it's needed" option.

Man, that sure is a different world.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I don't get what was so egregious about Jimmy's opening post in his thread...

Even some of us > 6 decade Florida natives who don't leave hurricane prep until the last minute might have some chores or projects to accomplish,
on top of working full or overtime in unrelated jobs/professions.

Some, like Jimmy might have job-related task lists to complete that require several days' advance preparation.

I just don't get the dog-piling.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
There are no TS warnings in Florida as of 2am this morning. .

Well, its Florida, so if you don't like the weather, just wait an hour or four.

It's now 6:32 a.m., EST.

..TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT...

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED
- Miami
- Miami Beach
- Key Biscayne
- Perrine
- Princeton

* WIND
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Below tropical storm force wind
- Peak Wind Forecast: 20-30 mph with gusts to 40 mph

https://www.accuweather.com/en...ther-warnings/347936

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Isaias lashed Puerto Rico with 60-mph winds and heavy rains and made landfall in the Dominican Republic Thursday afternoon.

The storm brought impacts to Haiti, the Dominican Republic's neighbor on the island of Hispaniola, also as it pushed northwest over the Caribbean. Forecasters expect Isaias to take a northwesterly path roughly between Cuba and the Bahamas on Friday, before taking a potential track right along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States.

Tropical Storm Isaias, pronounced ees-ah-ee-ahs, was upgraded from Potential Tropical Cyclone Nine status by the National Hurricane Center (NHC) at 11 p.m. EDT Wednesday. The system strengthened as it developed a more organized center with thunderstorms wrapping around its core -- and, with its upgrade, Isaias became the earliest "I-storm" in recorded history. The prior record holder was Irene from Aug. 7, 2005.

Late Thursday evening, Isaias achieved hurricane status, with maximum sustained winds of 80 mph.

Isaias could become the second named system to make landfall in the U.S. in about a week following Hanna's arrival in South Texas on Saturday, July 25.

(same link)

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I don't get what was so egregious about Jimmy's opening post in his thread...

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
There are no TS warnings in Florida as of 2am this morning. .

Well, its Florida, so if you don't like the weather, just wait an hour or four.

It's now 6:32 a.m., EST.

[b]..TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT...

Not the post but the title. Good to know that after four days, there are still no warnings in Florida.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As of just a minute ago,,,, it's a cat. 1 hurricane with the "forecast track" along/into Fla. and south east coast

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wait another hour, it'll change.
quote:
3, VTAIL, RHINOSO and LS1GTO. They come into a thread that I started and piss all over it with personal attacks, BS, and nonsense that isn't even pertinent to the discussion.

Point of order - your theories (jimmy123x) on hurricane activity close to shore vs the number of condominiums vs the "friction" the cause is completely pertinent to your concerns on potential future hurricane activity.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Wait another hour, it'll change.
quote:
3, VTAIL, RHINOSO and LS1GTO. They come into a thread that I started and piss all over it with personal attacks, BS, and nonsense that isn't even pertinent to the discussion.

Point of order - your theories (jimmy123x) on hurricane activity close to shore vs the number of condominiums vs the "friction" the cause is completely pertinent to your concerns on potential future hurricane activity.

Which is just THAT, MY theory. A THEORY. So even you admit it is a theory and not considered fact. There is no proof to refute it either, it's just a theory. I stated that I believe the wind resistance helped turn the hurricane (a little), I didn't state that it makes the hurricane make a U-turn or anything.

If tracking hurricanes was perfect science, they wouldn't be a hurricane. Damn near anything makes them turn, mountains, high pressure systems, low pressure systems, temperature changes, the gulf stream, and a lot of the time they wobble around to wherever they please. Best any meteorologist can predict is their best guess. It is proven that wind resistance from elevation does help steer a hurricane as well as knock it's power down, that is on the National Hurricane Center's website. If the entire shoreline is covered/dotted with 300' +/- condo's in Miami-Palm Beach with small openings between them, it's possible in my mind/theory anyways that the wind resistance from them could help steer the hurricane a little bit. It is elevation after all. If everything was known about hurricanes, meteorologists would be able to predict exactly where they'd go from a week out.

Everyone always talks of the "mountains" and elevtion in the Dominican Republic knocking hurricanes down. Do you realize the highest elevation in the Dominican Republic is only 1109' above sea level.

Anyways they were predicting a tropical storm all of the way, then it went from a disturbance to a tropical storm to a hurricane very quickly.....so far it's holding at 80 mph winds......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I told my wife when I first saw this thread that there are several members here who see a post from Jimmy and must get wood or something, they just cant help themselves.

In response to several of the comments above:

trapper189; The thread title wasn't sensationalist at all. It said "get ready' for a tropical storm warning. It didn't say there were tropical storm warnings.

holdem: I caught the comment about yards that charge an annual fee for a guaranteed haul out space. Apparently you think its bullshit. Wel it isn't! And $10,000 is for a boat in the 60 foot range. Larger boats more money. There are at least 2 yards on the Okeechobee Waterway that do huge business doing storm haulouts. And yes, that fee is every year whether you use it or not. And, if you do not properly tend to your boat for a storm according to your plan, or you don't have a professional captain, your deductible will go to 50% of the boats value. So yes, its a different world that maybe you haven't been exposed to.

RichardC; AGREED!

Jimmy: screw it man. Just don't give a damn. Have a good day and make some money.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
trapper189; The thread title wasn't sensationalist at all. It said "get ready' for a tropical storm warning. It didn't say there were tropical storm warnings.

"Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way"

I don't see the word "for" in there. Here's the way it reads to me adding a couple of commas:

Floridians, get ready, our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way

I clicked on that four days ago wondering how I missed a tropical storm 36 hours out from Florida. Surprise! No warnings, no watches, not even a tropical storm. Not only is it sensationalist, it's click bait.

He could have said there's a potential tropical storm headed our way. That would have been accurate. He could have lead with all the work he has to do in the event of a potential tropical storm in his first post.

I'm glad my preparations don't need to be made 5 days out. Nor do most Floridians. I can get my and my parents' shutters up in a day. Our boats are on lifts and if it looks bad enough, the RV is ready to go. If I were at home today, I might start thinking about the shutters. Based on the current forecast, I'd wait. I'd keep an eye on it though. My home is on the Gulf Coast.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you always single me out, without ever singling THEM out??? I'm never the one to start it, and generally never stir the pot. If you look at my posts, I never say anything racist, don't disrespect members, don't personally attack people, am generally caring to others, and generally post helpful things.
OK, jimmy, I get your point. I single you out because this stuff always seems to happen around you. However, you do make a good point which perhaps has escaped me in the past.

Vtail, Rhino, LS1GTO, lay off of jimmy. Stay out of his threads. If you have an issue with his comments, use the report-this-post feature to alert a staff member. I should have to tell you guys this only once.

jimmy, let's be honest. The issue is a lot more than those three members. You tend to post things which stir controversy. Forget about the three members you mentioned. It's more than that.

Most of the subjects you choose to post about are technical in nature, or deal with professions about which I know little. I'm not in a position to dispute you about those particular things, but what I can say is that many of your posts generate controversy. Unless you would claim a widespread conspiracy against you, you must certainly have given it some thought as to why this is so. I've seen you contradict people who are professionals in their field, who do this or that for a living.

I'll keep the schoolyard stuff away from your posts, but you need to do your part.

Fair enough?

posted Hide Post
Acknowledged to stay out of jimmy123x threads.

Is it correct to assume that dialogue with him in other, none Jimmy authored threads is ok, or is this a 'hands off Jimmy' policy throughout the forum?

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Acknowledged to stay out of jimmy123x threads.

Is it correct to assume that dialogue with him in other, none Jimmy authored threads is ok, or is this a 'hands off Jimmy' policy throughout the forum?

I'm thinking we should avert our eyes and bite our knuckle, use the report feature for the obligatory inaccurate/ inflammatory post(s), and let the guy in front seat drive this plane. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you ask, Rhino? Shall you miss your cordial exchanges with the man?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Back to our regularly scheduled weather news report. Be sure to read it with a kinda computerized monotone voice so it reads official like...

doo doot doo doot doo doot da doot.....

Updates on Hurrycane Isaias

The east coast of Florida is on standby for the effects of now Category 1 Hurricane Isaias. The strengthening storm threatens to bring large amounts of rain and gusty winds throughout weekend.

The National Hurricane Center's 8 a.m. advisory shows the storm 340 miles southeast of Nassau, Bahamas with the potential of becoming a category 2 Hurricane.

At 800 AM EDT (1200 UTC), the center of Hurricane Isaias was located by NOAA and Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft near

latitude 21.3 North, longitude 73.9 West. Isaias is moving toward the northwest near 17 mph (28 km/h), and a generally northwestward motion with some decrease in forward speed is expected for the next couple of days followed by a turn toward the north-northwest.

On the forecast track, the center of Isaias will move near or over the Southeastern Bahamas today. Isaias is forecast to be near the Central Bahamas tonight, and move near or over the Northwestern Bahamas and be near or east of the Florida peninsula on Saturday and Sunday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 80 mph (130 km/h) with higher gusts. Some strengthening is possible today, and Isaias is expected to remain a hurricane for the next few days.

Lake Okeechobee and the southeastern coast of Florida, from Ocean Reef to Sebastian Inlet are under a tropical storm watch. This includes Miami-Dade and Broward counties. Tropical storm conditions, such as heavy rains and isolated flooding, are possible over the weekend.

Photo credit: NOAA

The 8 a.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center shows the storm has winds of 80 miles per hour as it sits 340 miles southeast of Nassau, Bahamas and is moving northwest at 17 miles per hour.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

VTail . . . lay off of jimmy.
Wilco

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why do you ask, Rhino? Shall you miss your cordial exchanges with the man?

Honest question, but I'll take the safer path and follow the other 2.

posted Hide Post
Turned on the Weather Channel for a second. It seems the only qualification is the abiity to speak in an extemporaneous fashion about nothing in a moderately hysterical fashion.

They are now prediciting a Florida landfall. Of course this is different than NHC.

This is the kind of thing that causes problems. In 1998 the NHC was predicting that NOLA would get a direct hit from Hurricane Georges. Nash Roberts who was a noted forcaster in NOLA said it would come ashore in Mississippi.Turns out he was correct in his prediction. He was in all kinds of trouble because the mayor had ordered an evacuation of the city.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post