SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floridians get ready our first Tropical storm warning and headed our way Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Jimmy, can we please stop. This 'storm' is currently unnamed and so far from Florida it could go anywhere (or nowhere). Let's wait a bit before we start even considering this could be a thing. There's a time to pay attention to a potential storms, but now ain't it.

It's showing landfall Saturday night, 4 days out. Or did you not NOTICE that it's moving at 25 MPH? IF now isn't the time to start paying attention WHEN do you start paying attention??? Perhaps you should tell that to all of the yacht owners who have been calling me all day to prepare their yachts (remove cushions, all canvas, double up all lines/fenders, etc. etc,).
Florida is smack dab in the center of the warning cone right now. Sure, it could turn and go anywhere at this point. Sure it could dissappate and it could also turn into a hurricane.

SOME of US actually have a lot of stuff we need to do to get ready for a tropical storm or hurricane. I have 2-3 full days of getting yachts ready for a Tropical Storm. Which means I need to start tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

It's a proven fact and mentioned on the NHC website that wind resistance and elevation do help steer hurricanes.

VTAIL- perhaps if you paid so much attention to running your own personal life, instead of going out of your way to scrutinize every single post of mine. You wouldn't be running out of retarded non perishable things like pickles and toilet paper!!!!!!!!! Did you ever find those hearty garlic pickles???? Or is there a conspiracy and they can't be found anywhere? Maybe they're all in Area 51.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Sounds kinda like an alarmist .... but hey, your gettin paid to make ready so stop complaining

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Sounds kinda like an alarmist .... but hey, your gettin paid to make ready so stop complaining

Problem is, IF you wait until 2 days out, gas stations have lines down the street or are out of gas. Grocery stores are overwhelmed with people and out of water and things. And then you see people bitching about not being able to get gasoline, water, or god forbid.....hearty garlic Claussin pickles and toilet paper. Some of us would rather not fight the lines when a storm is coming. Generally during hurricane season, I keep 30 gallons of gas in my garage, stocked full of food, and at least 5 cases of water laying around.

My intial post wasn't alarmist, it was just announcing it was there and to keep an eye out. I'm not bitching, I make plenty of money getting yachts ready and un-ready for storms, but it's a headache at the same time.

According to NOAA we would see Tropical Storm winds by Noon on Friday
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refre...tml?mltoa34#contents

I find it absolutely ironic that people chastise me for mentioning that a possible Tropical Storm is coming in 4 days, on a site where there are multiple posts per year, from multiple people, where people have stocked up bedrooms of ammunition, and freeze dried food to last themselves a year, for something that probably will never come (zombie apocalypse).

No double standards
posted Hide Post
^^^^

C'mon jimmy, y'all should wait until the sirens start sounding. Wink

As they say, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Jimmy, can we please stop. This 'storm' is currently unnamed and so far from Florida it could go anywhere (or nowhere). Let's wait a bit before we start even considering this could be a thing. There's a time to pay attention to a potential storms, but now ain't it.

It's showing landfall Saturday night, 4 days out. Or did you not NOTICE that it's moving at 25 MPH? IF now isn't the time to start paying attention WHEN do you start paying attention??? Perhaps you should tell that to all of the yacht owners who have been calling me all day to prepare their yachts (remove cushions, all canvas, double up all lines/fenders, etc. etc,).
Florida is smack dab in the center of the warning cone right now. Sure, it could turn and go anywhere at this point. Sure it could dissappate and it could also turn into a hurricane.

SOME of US actually have a lot of stuff we need to do to get ready for a tropical storm or hurricane. I have 2-3 full days of getting yachts ready for a Tropical Storm. Which means I need to start tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

It's a proven fact and mentioned on the NHC website that wind resistance and elevation do help steer hurricanes.

VTAIL- perhaps if you paid so much attention to running your own personal life, instead of going out of your way to scrutinize every single post of mine. You wouldn't be running out of retarded non perishable things like pickles and toilet paper!!!!!!!!! Did you ever find those hearty garlic pickles???? Or is there a conspiracy and they can't be found anywhere? Maybe they're all in Area 51.
Dude, you're gonna make $$$ off this no matter where it goes, so good for you. As a 50+ year resident of Central Florida, I'll wait until we get 1) an intensification to some noteworthy level, and 2) a track a couple days out that shows this thing actually making landfall in Central Florida. Short of those two things, I'll do as I always do...I'll continue to check it occasionally and wait and see.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:

Problem is, IF you wait until 2 days out, gas stations have lines down the street or are out of gas. Grocery stores are overwhelmed with people and out of water and things.
Nope, that's what happens constantly when the assholes in the media go into 'Panic Mode' a week plus out from a storm and try and buy themselves viewers off of instilling fear. I've watched this BS amp up incredibly over the past 20 years as the media has become the little boy who cries wolf every chance they get. The 'experts' aren't worth a damn at projecting storm tracks a week in advance of a storm.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dude, you're gonna make $$$ off this no matter where it goes, so good for you. As a 50+ year resident of Central Florida, I'll wait until we get 1) an intensification to some noteworthy level, and 2) a track a couple days out that shows this thing actually making landfall in Central Florida. Short of those two things, I'll do as I always do...I'll continue to check it occasionally and wait and see.

It IS only 2.5 days out. Eek I agree, it most likely won't be enough to be a hurricane. But it will bring lots of rainy weather and wind and probably will interrupt power to many houses and some downed trees. I still stocked up with water, gas, etc. With IRMA, we only saw 70 mph wind gusts and never saw hurricane winds, and I had a 40' palm tree fall down (Thank God it didn't fall the other way and split my bedroom in half), and didn't have electricity for 14 days, it did a lot of damage because it sat on us for almost 2 days.

Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
five days out? Over all those Islands? More likely to turn and hit elsewhere or be a regular summer storm.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm going to casually get some non-ethanol gas, and and run the generators.
Vienna sausages, beer and Bugles.

And Garlic dill pickles.

Two more rolls of blue paper shop towels.

No mask.

And I'll be casually whistling Mancini's 'Baby Elephant Walk', so no one will think I'm panicking.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hope it makes it as far as the eastern panhandle of WV; we could really use the rain.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope it makes it as far as the eastern panhandle of WV; we could really use the rain.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are welcome to it. We have had extensive rains from both Hanna and Christobal. It has been raining here for a solid week all day long.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Right on schedule.

We sometimes get worse afternoon storms than some of the tropical storms.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its the nature of living in FL, the cone of impact is pretty wide, however it does have a center line right up through the state.

Jimmy is right, better to get what little things you'll need now before the media hypesters get going.

Y'all remember this COVID thing, well it drained shelves in no time, and it's taken a while to recover product at stores.

Even though it's a TS, its best to go ahead and fill up tanks on vehicles, get a couple of cases of water, propane or whatever you need to run generators, grills and have the basics on hand before they are gone than to have to stand in line after and take whatever is available.

Chance favors the prepared mind....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Y'all remember this COVID thing, well it drained shelves in no time, and it's taken a while to recover product at stores.

And we haven’t recovered completely to this day. There is another current thread commenting on that, and it’s absolutely true. Yes, plenty of toilet paper and paper towels now, but there are many other products that are still completely unavailable. Know where I can get any 300 Blackout training ammunition at no more than twice the price it was last year? Hmmm …?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

And we haven’t recovered completely to this day. There is another current thread commenting on that, and it’s absolutely true. Yes, plenty of toilet paper and paper towels now, but there are many other products that are still completely unavailable. Know where I can get any 300 Blackout training ammunition at no more than twice the price it was last year? Hmmm …?

Not here in South Florida. We still have no hand soap anywhere to be found. Paper towels are still very hit and miss as well as a few other odds and ends. Cleaning products like windex, no sanitizing wipes, the shelves are still mostly empty, and a few other things. OHHHHHH and can't find those pesky damn Claussen garlic dill pickles ANYWHERE.......

posted Hide Post
1. We're in the center of the cone five days out which is a good place to be - the probability that it will go there is close to zero.

2. A tropical storm with 50 mph winds moving at 20+ mph is not a real threat. If that makes you panic you need to immediately remove your Salt Life sticker.

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
1. We're in the center of the cone five days out which is a good place to be - the probability that it will go there is close to zero.

2. A tropical storm with 50 mph winds moving at 20+ mph is not a real threat. If that makes you panic you need to immediately remove your Salt Life sticker.

Jimmy should run for State Office on the Slogan "BUILD MORE CONDOS, IT KEEPS THE HURRICANES AWAY!"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:

Jimmy should run for State Office on the Slogan "BUILD MORE CONDOS, IT KEEPS THE HURRICANES AWAY!"

Who said anything about panicking??????? Never once have I said anything about panicking. My initial thread was just an alert that it was out there and headed this way, nothing more. WHY do you take everything I write out of context like CNN???

Most smart people PREPARE (NOT PANIC) 4 days out or even at the beginning of the hurricane season, by just stocking up on the food essentials they're going to use eventually anyways, gas, and things they should have. Otherwise, you can stand shoulder to shoulder for hours and fight the long lines in the grocery stores and gas stations, and empty shelves.

I went to Costco yesterday (was planning on going this weekend anyways), got lots of water, gas, and some meats. Everyone there had a few cases of water in their carts (among other things), but everything still on the shelves and busy but not super crowded.

I have tons of work to do on yachts, securing them for the 3 days before the storm, the 24 hours before the storm is normally not do-able to work (too windy or rainy). I'm on the insurance hurricane plan on all of these yachts and the person responsible for $30 million in assets that need to be secured in one way or another. IF I don't secure them and there is an issue it greatly negatively effects my career, forever. Insurance companies don't take too kindly to not following the hurricane plan you sent to them and they approved for coverage on a floating $3 million asset. And they always ask if you've had any insurance losses.

And sure, it's probably only going to be 50 MPH winds, BUT IF IT DOES INTENSIFY, and you did nothing to prepare, then it's too late to do anything to prepare because it's already too windy/rainy to get anything done if you wait till the last day.

Everyone's situation is different and the amount of things they need to prepare are different. If you want to stand in a 2 hour line to get gas this weekend for your car or go normal grocery shopping, be my guest. I choose not to.

posted Hide Post
Well, at the very least it will get the last minuters off their butts and get their Hurricane stocks and preps done. Most people in FL are used to the drill and are pretty together by the end of June at the latest, and only have a few things left like top off the gas tanks and pick up a couple of last minute things when a storm actually approaches. I don’t understand when, deep into the season, people are still lining up to buy things like plywood, generators, water, etc. when a storm comes our way. Must be all them Yankees moving to FL. Wink

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:Long defensive argument.

That comment wasn't directed at you. It's hurricane season - get your house in order and don't panic, especially about this.

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post