SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Biased Is Your Media?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Biased Is Your Media? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
This diagram, published by Dow Jones' MarketWatch purports to list the major media outlets by political bias.

What do you think? Is Dow Jones biased?

(I think putting CNN just to the left of Neutral displays how skewed this chart is. But that's the whole point of the article).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
(For those of us who'd actually like to see the graph Wink )

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
(For those of us who'd actually like to see the graph Wink )

Thanks. I didn't realize it was huge.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I think CNN should be lower & left of where it’s placed....

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I question any chart that puts CNN anywhere in the zip code of "neutral".

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Any rating of outlets that puts NPR, WaPo and NYT as 'Neutral' is nonsense, right out of the box.

So, yeah, this is a bunch of hogwash. To make sense of this, it helps to understand Marketwatch is irredeemably leftist. It is under the same corporate umbrella as other Dow Jones outlets, but is their "MSNBC" equivalent. There have to be some investors whose delicate sensibilities would be offended by not getting their financial news with the same slant as their regular news...Marketwatch is for them. WSJ is for everyone else.

A better label for the up-down axis, rather than 'overall quality' would be 'how much the author likes them'.

A more accurate label for the left-right axis might, possibly, 'Further Left than Marketwatch' but as there was zero evidence of any investigative journalism or rational measurement, best to just ignore the dreck and move on.

Nonsense, with nice logo captures, is all this is. It probably took more time to get the logo graphics than it did to put the chart together.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Any rating of outlets that puts NPR, WaPo and NYT as 'Neutral' is nonsense, right out of the box

Add ABC, CBS, and NBC to your list in the Neutral column. What a bullshit "graph", pure nonsense. Just another lying piece to legitimize the MSM.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
There placement of reason.com is laughable.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Stupid chart. Based on it's placements, all MSM is effectively neutral, and anything at all on the rights side is "hyper partisan".

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Mother Jones - Opinion: Fair Persuasion, they're on the level of huffNpuff

Politico, BBC, failing-new york times - Fact Reporting, enough said

The Economist - Complex Analysis - theE is a major lefty rag.

This chart is Fake Facts Mad

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. This is BS. Time is not neutral.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They need to be lower and to the left in the chart.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Here's the source of the chart and the developer's lengthly discussion of what it represents. He's a practicing patent attorney in the Denver, Colorado area, and has a B.A. in English from UCLA and a J.D. from the University of Denver. Being from those parts pretty much tells you all you need to know.

http://www.allgeneralizationsarefalse.com/

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
This is designed to steer public opinion...just like any other poll, survey, or article from the leftist. We all know CNN is pure speculative propaganda...they aren't trying to provide 'news' anymore.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
They put TIME to the right of neutral?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They put TIME to the right of neutral?

Actually it was right of center until about 1965. So was the Chicago Tribune.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Seems the Bias graph is itself biased. But you would have to show the chart a few more feet to the left to map the San Francisco Chronicle. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
NPR is neutral? Who knew???

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
NPR is neutral? Who knew???

They should change the name to National Political Radio to reflect their obsession with interviewing Democrat congresscritters and ex-Obama administration hacks about what a bad job Trump is doing.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That is laughable in the extreme. Seriously, OAN is "unfair news"? It's clear that some clueless, left-wing idiot made up that graph.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post