SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with the metal frame type crate thingeee
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with the metal frame type crate thingeee Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I need some help id'ing these things.

I have seen them with a plastic water tank in them. Also seem them for hauling other items.

What are they are were do you get them?

Idea's?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
https://www.uline.com/BL_173/IBC-Tank

Caged storage tanks is what I have found them to be called.

Not sure about the ones without a tank.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vic40204
posted Hide Post
quote:
metal frame type crate

Like this?

http://www.plastic-mart.com/pr...-ibc-tote-ibc-btl003

Vic Johnson

Posts: 798 | Location: Augusta, Georgia. | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
ORC ~ Those are used for commercial transport of various items, often of a Hazardous nature.

They are called IBC Bulk Containers in the transport and enforcement industries.

Take a look at the following Google link for general info.

https://www.google.com/search?...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

They are available used at sales outlets in larger cities where there is a lot of freight activity, especially if intermodal and/or water transport is involved.

If you are interested in one of the ones with the "plastic" tank contained within the cage, you must be aware that at one time that contained may have contained something very poisonous or hazardous! It would need to be professionally purged and cleaned to be safe.

Don

Edited to add: I see others were quicker than I! Please heed my caution about what may have been contained previously in the tank type though... some really nasty stuff is hauled in those under HazMat regulations, and any residue could cause you serious harm.

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yes guys, that is them. Wonder where I might find locally. The $236 price is doable but shipping would be crazy expensive I would guess. Hmmmm?

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Try trucking/transfer companies. A buddy wanted one for diesel, for his Ranch. I found one being used for waste engine oil, at a trucking company...They steam cleaned it for me, out the door... $125.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
If you live near a port or intermodal freight center, take a drive through and look for an office near where you will see the empties stacked.

Go in and ask! Wink

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This place has all sorts of stuff like that. If they have a location near you, they had just what you are looking for a while back. Probably still do. Check them out.

http://mailchi.mp/repurposedma...e-75445?e=4fed7c9ec5

Posts: 516 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Those thing are everywhere around here.

A quick search for "tank" or "tote" on craigslist got several hits for them, various sizes. Some are "food grade"

Or search for a used barrell seller, they often have them. Great for catching rain water etc.

Here is the first hit on Nashville Craigslist... 50 bucks.

https://nashville.craigslist.o...tank/6450865480.html

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local AG place sells their used ones for $20 after every season.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The dreaded CL or yard sales. They are all over around here and used to sell for $50. Now they seem togo for 10-30.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the help. Really appreciate it

Saluki
posted Hide Post
Call your local farm supply/fertilizer plant. They might be the closest source. Of course it could have pesticide residue in it. You would ideally find one that has had liquid fertilizer in it. Triple rinse it and it'll be good enough for most uses. I'd drink out of it but I've likely eaten an acre of most fertilizers and pesticides over the years, and am not skeered Wink

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you want to put in it is always the key to buying. If its potable water you should take care. If its something like waste oil (that's my use), then its prior life it not very important. I get mine from the local heavy equipment guy, they get DEF in it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So I need some help id'ing these things.

I have seen them with a plastic water tank in them. Also seem them for hauling other items.

What are they are were do you get them?

Idea's?
i’ve got A bunch you can have if you want to come to SLO to pick them up. The fertilizer guys call them totes. Typically they are 265 gallons (at least that is how much fertilizer they put in them). With the heavier fertilizers the rear tires are getting very light while moving them around with the forks hanging off the skiploader bucket.

Dunno where you are, but I’ll bet there’s a farmer not too far away with several he’d like to get rid of.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check Craigslist, we find them around Dallas/Fort Worth for $25-$40

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Are you thinking of totes,I have a half dozen for water stowage for my gardens.
Get filled from roof downspouts.
Got four from company that supplies flocegent for waste water cleaning,stay away from them.
Got two from laundry soap supplier.these and great.
Used ones that are around 300 gallons range 50-60 dollars.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Wineries may be a source as well.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Yes guys, that is them. Wonder where I might find locally. The $236 price is doable but shipping would be crazy expensive I would guess. Hmmmm?

Where is "locally"?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I am in the Rocky mtn West. Seems like food grade are going to be obtainable for far less than I original thought. That is great news.