SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basic science knowledge quiz.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basic science knowledge quiz. Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
11/12... missed the Polio question.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
14/14 NOT 12/12 correct.

I absolutely got the two additional questions pertaining to my age and sex correct.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
12/12

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 of 12 but I LOVE science.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The post results demographics are really the interesting part.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
14/14 NOT 12/12 correct.

I absolutely got the two additional questions pertaining to my age and sex correct.

12/14. Apparently "NoneYa" and "Yes" weren't correct on the two additional questions.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Neat test, thanks for posting it.

We oldsters had an advantage on the polio question, since when we were growing up the medication was known as the "Salk Vaccine".

It would be a hoot to see how well journalists, especially talking heads on TV could score on this. Then of course there are the know it alls like Whoopie and Ellen, wonder if they could get any of them right.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2082 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted Hide Post
8/12 - yep, I'm the SIGvillage idiot.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I got the magnifying glass one wrong. Dang.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
11/12 - I missed the water boiling question.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
12/12 due to white privilege, and I used to teach science.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12/12 ==> RACISM!!!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Any question is easy if we know the answer. What I find interesting is exploring why some people know answers and others don’t.

Whether we know the answers in a test like these is usually due to education—whether it was gained in school, through self-study, or through personal observation and analysis. Someone who played with a magnifying glass and observed its shape and what it did to light rays shining through it could have answered that question regardless of whether she had ever taken a course in optics.

Intelligence is of course important as well. Not only is a certain degree of intelligence necessary to discover what happens when light rays pass through a magnifying glass, intelligence tends to be associated with a greater degree of curiosity about all things in general, and that’s often even more important. Countless scientific and quasi-scientific discoveries have been made by people who wondered, “Why is that?” Innumerable people before them had no doubt observed the same things, but never asked that question.

But education from formal schooling or cultural experience is most important for tests like these. Three hundred years ago the smartest person on the planet wouldn’t have been able to answer questions about atmospheric gasses or radioactivity. If it were possible to go back in time to 1930 and ask Einstein the cell phone question and he was told what a cell phone was and how people used them, he would probably get it right because he would have been familiar with the things that were offered as answers. The same would have been true of the question about nuclear power. On the other hand if it were possible to pose the questions to Newton, his ignorance of everything relating to the answers would have left him clueless—despite being one of the most intelligent people alive.

The education we receive is largely a matter of chance, including how intelligent we become due to our genes and upbringing.

What was most fascinating to me were the demographics of those who were able, and not able, to answer the questions. There are differences in average general intelligence or IQ among various racial and even ethnic groups, but not enough, IMO, to account for the fact that some groups were evidently unable to answer some questions better than could be achieved by blind guessing. If that’s true, what does that say about the education they receive and about why they receive that level of education? And most critical, are they being taught things that are manifestly untrue?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
12/12

Pretty basic stuff.......

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
10/12 meh

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I got the magnifying glass one wrong. Dang.

To be fair, it was a lousy picture. You didn't know which side the eye was on.

Bet you didn't have any problems with the radio related questions though!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
11/12. Never needed to boil water in LA or Denver. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
I missed the moon and tides. Damn Earth rotation.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Naw.
If you watch Sci Fi it was easy peasy.
12/12

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
I missed the moon and tides. Damn Earth rotation.
I had to think about that one a while, because both the Sun and Moon have an effect on the tides (and both were possible answers).

I think it is interesting that when they asked me for my educational level, there were only 3 options--Post-graduate was not offered (and I qualify). (I actually went through the quiz twice, giving identical answers, just to see if I'd get offered the "Post-graduate" option--nope, didn't show up the second time, either.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post