SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basic science knowledge quiz.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basic science knowledge quiz. Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And I might be convinced that a question about the history of science isn’t science per se.

A biology professor of mine once pee-ohed the entire class by having a whole set of exam questions to be historical in nature, i.e. match the person to the discovery.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
12/12
I knew the answer for all except I had to use the process of elimination to figure out the polio question.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
12/12.
Not very difficult.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
12/12 and then 13/13. Though I don't know that the polio vaccine question was really fair. I never knew that answer before medical school...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The polio question was easy for me as I was a "Polio Pioneer" and still have my card like this one:

..as for the quiz: 12/12

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted Hide Post
11/12!

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
11/12 miss the light refraction.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
12/12

But I have a degree from SIGforum U.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I only got 10/12. Guess I'm not as smart as I thought Smile

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
12/12

I had to think a bit about which part of the Earth is the hottest.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
12/12 here. I apparently missed some of the last pages with more personal questions. (I didn't see the "postgraduate" response for education, for example.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Missed polio - it was 50/50, Curie or Salk.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
12/12 & 13/13

But these tests are so wrong, because I don't believe in the anthropomorphic, apocalyptic global warming, climate change religion. So I must be science stupid.

Seriously though, I did not think it was much of a test. I did not think any question was challenging, other than checking to make sure it wasn't some kind of a trick question. There were no trick questions however which are common on these sorts of tests. I'm going to give this to my younger boys (13 & 15) and see how they do.

One thing I was surprised about is how men outscored women on 23 out of 25 questions, generally by more than 10 points. The two questions on which women outscored men involved medical, control group testing and the development of antibiotic resistance in bacteria.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
12/12

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
11/12 I missed the magnifying glass one.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12/12 but it wasn't really much of a test. Will let my just graduated daughter try it tomorrow.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
!2/12 for me.

Maybe fun but a complete joke of course!

They float around Facebook a lot, just made a 100% score yesterday on one that said "Only a Nurse can answer all these correctly"
Not a nurse, never studied anything remotely close to it, heck I don't even think I know a nurse! LOL!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
12/12 - This was pretty easy for an old guy who was in a scientific field when a pup.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
12/12. Not too shabby.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
12/12 and 13/13

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post