SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Support for Puerto Rican statehood increases
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Support for Puerto Rican statehood increases Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Not only NO, but hell NO !!

By a narrow margin, more voters think Puerto Rico should become a state than think it should stay a territory.

According to the latest Fox News Poll, 41 percent say Puerto Rico should become the 51st star on the flag. That’s an 11-point increase since the last time the question was asked in June 2007, when 30 percent opted for statehood.

Some 37 percent think the island should continue as a territory, down 9 points from June 2007 (46 percent). Nine percent think Puerto Rico should declare independence.

Puerto Rico has been a U.S. territory for nearly 120 years. Residents of the island are officially U.S. citizens, but cannot vote for president and do not pay federal income taxes. Recent elections on the island have resulted in wins for pro-statehood advocates, but have been boycotted by those who prefer the status quo.

The poll shows support for statehood is 16 points higher among Democrats (48 percent) than Republicans (32 percent). Hispanics prefer statehood over the current territorial status by 48 to 37 percent.

The increase in support for statehood comes as Puerto Rico struggles to recover from the devastation wrought by Hurricane Maria. The category 4 storm hit September 20, destroying homes and critical infrastructure.

President Trump visited Puerto Rico October 3, and last week graded his administration’s response to the storm a 10 out of 10. But the poll finds voters are more skeptical: just 32 percent rate the administration’s response to the hurricane in Puerto Rico as “excellent” or “good.” Twice as many, 64 percent, say the response was “only fair” or “poor.”

The administration receives substantially better ratings for its response to hurricanes in Florida (49 percent “excellent” or “good”) and Houston (52 percent).

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...s-in-wake-maria.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So what? This poll is irrelevant because the citizens of Puerto Rico are the ones who vote on whether they persue Statehood, not the people who answered the poll.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I'd take PR if we could dump California. Let Cali become El Stateo de Mexico

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

How would that be better? I'd bet PR is every bit as screwed up politically as California.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

How would that be better? I'd bet PR is every bit as screwed up politically as California.

In many respect, the are, But not in every respect.
They suck the Teat very very well, though.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Who did they poll?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd go for that, at least we would have fewer Democratic electoral votes.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
nope

not interested in PR being a state

why oh why would we ever want to assume their debt and what do they bring to the table that will be of benefit to the entire US?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53164 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Cut them loose!
They need independence... not statehood.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24054 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
They need to get their act together before they can really say.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Puerto Rico becomes a state expect that 100% of the population will immediately become welfare eligible. As the government finds more and more ways to fund the non-productive, at some point the productive tax contributing citizen will become a minority.

Update: I exaggerated. A little googling revealed that the average annual income of Puerto Rico is about $19K per year. Only 45% of the population is currently earning below the poverty line. As of 2015 the population of Puerto Rico was 3.54M. That means only 1.56M residents currently classify as poor (by US gov't definition).

Posts: 430 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Then Guam will want in.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

do not pay federal income taxes.

And it seems unlikely they would pay more than they took were they to be granted statehood.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Don't forget DC and the Virgin Islands. Everyone gets to be a state and elect two Democrap senators.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Don't forget DC and the Virgin Islands. Everyone gets to be a state and elect two Democrap senators.

This is the biggest worry. Given that 45% of the population is impoverished, and that the average annual income is barely above the poverty line, the state will go Democrat. Likely remain so forever.

Posts: 430 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
Then Guam will want in.

...and, Saipan, American Samoa, Virgin Islands

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
just imagine how many flags we will have to destroy, how many new ones to make, how many shoulder badges and others...PR just isn't worth the trouble

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53164 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
So does that mean we'd be up to 57 states? Wink

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
Then Guam will want in.

...and, Saipan, American Samoa, Virgin Islands

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some Puerto Rican separatists once tried to kill Harry Truman. And damn near did. I wonder how many actually do want statehood as opposed to full independence.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
This was a phone poll of registered voters made from Oct. 22 - 24. I doubt they were calling Puerto Rican phone numbers this week.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post