SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Steering wheel spinner or knob recommendation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steering wheel spinner or knob recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I see you found one.

I got one from Tractor Supply (TSC) for my old truck. Illegal but awesome!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Even in states where they are illegal (which is most of them, I believe), there are usually exceptions for medical necessity. Might not be a bad idea to have your doc scribble a note for you just in case.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fifty years ago, we called them "racking knobs". Why, I have no idea. I was going to jokingly suggest J.C. Whitney, not knowing they are still in business. I remember back then, the trick was to get your hands on their wholesale catalog, which was labeled the Warshawsky Company. The company history can be found on Wikipedia.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Tried to steer with one hand on the way home from work today.
Having done so, I think a spinner or knob would be alot safer.

Will be doing a knob or spinner.
Spinner seems a bit safer as it is flat, however could be a bit more tiring to drive with than a knob.

Therefore I am leaning toward a spinner such as this one.
Steering wheel spinner

I'm not convinced one that attaches like that one is safer. Don't want it to possibly slide around mid-turn.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
IIRC, a car with a suicide knob installed will not pass the Commonwealth-mandated annual safety inspection in VA.

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Illegal in many states, and you will not find them in the retail auto supply stores. As others have said, need to look in lawn mower, etc. section.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a suicide knob on a steering wheel in decades.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
What kind of vehicle do you drive? Modern rack & pinion steering systems don't require much steering input to turn, unlike the old recirculalating ball systems. Suicide knobs made it easier when you had to spin the wheel 50,000 times just to make a turn. That's no longer the case. I had surgery on my right arm and had to wear a sling for a month. I had no problems driving with one hand, which I usually do anyway.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Even in states where they are illegal (which is most of them, I believe), there are usually exceptions for medical necessity. Might not be a bad idea to have your doc scribble a note for you just in case.

-Rob
I have a code on my Indiana driver's licence that says I have to have a spinner knob. After I took several driving tests at a rehab clinic, my doctor gave me the required paperwork. Then I had to go to the license branch to get a new license. This would be a lot of work for a 3-month condition

"Ask your doctor if a knob is right for you".

Edit: FYI - I have this one.
High quality and price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eponym,

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Necker Knobs, as they promote the ability to steer left handed while, ah, exploring the attributes of your nearby passenger while enroute.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
I got a freebie promo John Deere made for my JD 4066R. It's a well made suicide knob.
FYI: John Deere = not cheap.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Better yet, check your state laws as many states have deemed them illegal.

I believe they may lawful in all states, see generally http://www.suicideknob.net/state_laws.html (appears to have been last updated in 2016).

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Necker Knobs, as they promote the ability to steer left handed while, ah, exploring the attributes of your nearby passenger while enroute.

Ah! Thanks for spelling it out.
Should get my spinner tomorrow will post a pic and report back.
Monday arm goes in a sling.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I had multiple tears in my left shoulder repaired last June and was in an immobilizer for 6 weeks and a sling for another 4. I found when I drove I was most comfortable with my right hand at 12 o’clock and then used the hand in the sling to stabilize around 6 o clock during turns, etc. After a day or two it wasn’t a big deal at all, and I drove 4 days after surgery. Not sure why you’re going in a sling, but if the spinner doesn’t work out you may be surprised what you can adapt to doing with using your injured hand/arm to just help stabilize without putting any weight or pressure on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
So you get to learn two new skills ...

Driving with one arm disabled.

And

Using a spinner knob on your steering wheel.

Excellent choice.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmm

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
So you get to learn two new skills ...

Driving with one arm disabled.

And

Using a spinner knob on your steering wheel.

Excellent choice.

Have you ever used one?
Using a spinner knob takes maybe 2 seconds to master and just about as quickly makes you wonder how you ever did without it. It can be a very helpful addition to vehicles used around the farm, tight maneuvers, trailer backing, off-road and etc. But on the highway, not so much.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a driver was really adventurous back in the old days, he would saw and remove the top and bottom section of the steering wheel leaving only about a 6 or 7 inch section at 3 and 9 oclock. A knob was then affixed to either or both sides. Looked kinda like the control for some of the old multi-engined bombers.

Some knobs came with a pinup but the top was removable so you could insert a photo of your sweetie, your kid or whatever you wanted.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In southern Arizona and southern New Mexico, they were know as "nekkid knobs", as the older ones often had a stylized image of a buxom woman on them in a marvelous state of undress.
Some were also found on old tractors, but my Dad banned their use on the farm and ranch because of a then well known phenomenon of the older,front single-wheeled tractors, that if you hit a big clod, rock or rut with the front wheel, the steering wheel would spin like hell and said nekkid knob would dislocate or break your thumb, and/or hand. For that same reason, my Dad and other older guys would bitch you out on those tractors if you placed your hands and thumbs around the spokes of the wheel. I learned the hard way exactly what he meant more than once. It was thumbs up only on those old steering wheels.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Where's the best clock position for when the vehicle is going straight?

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post