SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Iron Skillet is Rough, Anyway To Smooth It?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Iron Skillet is Rough, Anyway To Smooth It? Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 I need to sand down a bit, both are lodge. My cabelas has gotten smooth through use. The Lodge will smooth through use also, but it takes a while. The nonstick works a lot better when the surface is smooth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smooth is better. In fact the smoother the better. I have an old griddle which is now smooth from built up seasoning, it should be cleaned down to bare metal and ground, this is on my list for next year.

Most skillets are sold "as cast" the surface has the mold finish, usually an orange peel look and feel.

Some griddles have been Blanchard ground but the finish is not a lot smoother.

Any rotary wheel of almost any grit or a rough flexible abrasive wheel will work.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
My modern Lodges have a texture. The pans work fine. I wouldn't mess with a new pans seasoning.

^^^^This worked for my new Lodge bought a few years about a decade ago.

I was also concerned but after a bit of normal use it is plenty smooth. Don't know what the bumps are, or why.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
The coarseness improves the application of the preseasoning for some reason. Get a random orbital sander. Start at 60 or 80 and work your way down till it gets to the smoothness you desire then reseason. A mirror finish is probably excessive and will interfere with getting seasoning to stick.

I used my D/A, started with 80 grit, 120, 180, 220 & finally 320. Re-seasoned, cooked bacon a few times & now I could not ask for a better result.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
So some say smooth as glass, others say leave it rough. Those of you that used it rough, then ground it flat, are you results better? Does the seasoning hold just as good?

I'd love to get mine smooth, just want to make sure the results are worth doing.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only used my Lodge 3 or 4 times before I took the D/A & smoothed out the orange peel o.e.m finish. I've sanded all my Lodges down.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you get a poor result from the way it came from the factory? I would leave it as is since they have undoubtedly sold thousands and unlikely had anyone take it to the shop to us a grinder on it before using it.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those of you that used it rough, then ground it flat, are you results better?

My two skillets which have seen enough use to be smooth now, are significantly more nonstick and easier to cook in than the 2 skillets that are not that way. It stands to reason for me...than they'll be improved after I sand them down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The good old stuff like Griswold always had the inside smoothed after the sand casting. The new higher quality cast iron like Stargazer (which is fantastic and only $80 for a 10" pan) also are ground smooth.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's really a matter of speed/time.

The bumpy ones will eventually - usually - accumulate enough of a layer of "seasoning" (really a hard plastic-like polymer coating) that it seems/is smooth on the surface.

Smoother pans will get there more quickly.

In the interim the bumpy ones still work better than you'd think. Griswolds and such were made to higher standards, and are often very very used nowadays. Lodge and the like can be bought for $25 all over the place. You get what you pay for. But Lodge/etc work fine.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
They are cast in sand molds, it's just the sand texture I think. I doubt they intentionally add texture.

When I toured the Lodge factory plant I ask the guide about the roughness, mentioning some of his competition and some older pans were machined smooth. He said in their testing it made zero difference in actual use and to just ignore it.
But I figured it was just a cost savings and that he gave me a convenient excuse.

On first instinct I would think smoother is better, but then the roughness may actually help contribute to the build up of seasoning and help prevent it from scraping off in use. IDK. I expect very few people go to the trouble of grinding them smooth and yet they get used everyday.

Here's a thought... how about a regular cast iron user with nothing better to do, go buy a new skillet and grind one half smooth and leave the other half rough. Report back in a year the results.

One time use sand mold.

Tumbled in 12 foot diameter, 20 foot long drum, to break them out of the mold. Can you imagine how loud that would be! They weren't running during the tour. The sand is reused.

Going into the oven to season. They are sprayed with vegetable oil and baked, much like a paint line. They never stop moving.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
The good old stuff like Griswold always had the inside smoothed after the sand casting. The new higher quality cast iron like Stargazer (which is fantastic and only $80 for a 10" pan) also are ground smooth.

That Stargazer looks like the way to go. Did you get the preseasoned one?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

That Stargazer looks like the way to go. Did you get the preseasoned one?

Nope. I like to do my own thing even before seasoning.

Briefly, I boil an alcohol cleaned and degreased bare steel pan in a covered (to create a low O2 environment) turkey pan for 12-16 hours, every few hours adding water as necessary and giving it a very light scrubbing with 0000 steel wool. This blackens the pan. This is blueing it without the chemicals. It creates a thin layer of black rust (magnetite) which protects the pan just like gun blueing. Then I season multiple times for 1hr (+2hr cooling in oven) at 450 with wiped away coatings of 100% no additive, filtered, flax seed oil. Then I cook bacon. Then I eat bacon.

I repeat the last two steps until I have gained between 5 and 10 pounds.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I bought some at an auction that someone had let go.. and they were really rusty.. I used a disc sander and smoothed them all up. I then re seasoned them in my gas grill. I did them a couple times to make sure they were seasoned and they are still perfect today. I think I got them for $5 a piece.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:The new higher quality cast iron like Stargazer

Looks good! Any national chains selling these. I'd like to feel one up LOL!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I love my two old Wagners. Smooth and fairly ancient seasoning.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:The new higher quality cast iron like Stargazer

Looks good! Any national chains selling these. I'd like to feel one up LOL!

Williams Sonoma.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post