SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Iron Skillet is Rough, Anyway To Smooth It?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Iron Skillet is Rough, Anyway To Smooth It? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
The wife brought home an "Emeril Lagasse 12" Skillet" for me as I've been thinking about buying one but this one has a rough texture to it.
The ones I recall in my youth were smooth, or at least I thought they were. Anyway is this normal? If not what's the best way to smooth it up?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
How rough is rough? My first thought is that time and seasoning will smooth it out.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Use.

Lots of use.

Or some surface milling. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Hard to describe but about like 120 grit sandpaper and it's the same texture inside and out, bottom and sides. So maybe continuous scouring with steel wool?

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Hard to describe but about like 120 grit sandpaper and it's the same texture inside and out, bottom and sides. So maybe continuous scouring with steel wool?

Doubtful it was intended to feel like coarse sandpaper.

Sounds like a quality control error/issue.

You might want to take it back to the seller and get a replacement.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
new Lodge branded pans have a pretty bumpy texture, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My modern Lodges have a texture. The pans work fine. I wouldn't mess with a new pans seasoning.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wire disk on a angle grinder.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
My modern Lodges have a texture. The pans work fine. I wouldn't mess with a new pans seasoning.

quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:

Won't a wire wheel mess with the seasoning?

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Reading the label it says "convenient pre-seasoned cooking surface is naturally non-stick" so I guess just use it as is.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I took an air grinder with a 3" disc to mine and sanded them down to a mirror finish then re-seasoned them in the oven.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoother is better. This is just the first link I found on the subject. Yes you will have to re season it but you should know (learn) how to do that anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaTFgyiJUG4

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I guess I should grind it smooth.

It's already in the oven being "re-seasoned" so I think I'll try it like that and if it sticks grind it smooth like in the video.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

Yes, but the standard factory seasoning is garbage anyway. I agree with the wirewheel/sanding disk and then season it yourself with bacon fat or crisco, whichever you prefer.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9686 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I have a large skillet that got this treatment and i'm very happy.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9686 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Crisbee is a great effective and easy to use seasoning. I got mine through Amazon.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Yes, but the standard factory seasoning is garbage anyway. I agree with the wirewheel/sanding disk and then season it yourself with bacon fat or crisco, whichever you prefer.

My lodges work great for me. I don't notice a performance diff between them and my Griswolds, my Erie or any of my Wagners. Maybe I am lucky.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new junk is all rough, like the Lodge cast iron stuff. All you can do, really, is use it, and it will eventually season itself thick enough that it shouldn't be a bother.

We've been using old Griswold pans for many years, several inherited from my girlfriend's grandmother. Smooth as glass, for the most part, and well worth the trouble to clean properly. All the recent purchases, including a commemorative one from the Forestry Service, are Lodge. A guy who is a member of a cast iron on-line forum swears that he fries eggs on his brand-new Lodge frying pans, but we haven't tried it yet, since cleanup would be a bitch if it doesn't work for us.

Try cooking with yours first, before you grind it down and maybe ruin it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9154 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Factory seasoning is really only to keep the damn things from rusting on the boat ride anyway.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The coarseness improves the application of the preseasoning for some reason. Get a random orbital sander. Start at 60 or 80 and work your way down till it gets to the smoothness you desire then reseason. A mirror finish is probably excessive and will interfere with getting seasoning to stick.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post