SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    this snowflake buisness
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

this snowflake buisness Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
so is it a pejorative?

Seriously? Of course it is. People, kids especially, have always been unique and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But now these kids have been told that they are soooooo special that the norms of society are beneath them. This attitude and the notion that the rest of us MUST respect their beliefs while they complete;y attack ours is what has spawned the snowflake moniker.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

Was watching Fight Club last night. There's a snowflake reference.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP5aqAC8PPY

and then

Fight Club's Chuck Palahniuk: "I coined 'snowflake' and I stand by it"

After Donald Trump’s counsellor, Kellyanne Conway, allegedly biffed a guest at the new President’s inauguration ball on Friday and “snowflake” has become a slur against Trump detractors, The Londoner set to wondering: is this all about Fight Club?

So we called Chuck Palahniuk, author of the original novel, made into a film in 1999, to ask him. Chuck broke the first rule of Fight Club by talking about Fight Club. The term snowflake originates from his book. “It does come from Fight Club,” he confirmed down the phone from his home in Oregon. “There is a line, ‘You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.’”

In Fight Club, Tyler Durden leads a generation of emasculated men to rediscover their inner strength by beating the hell out of each other.

Two decades later, Palahniuk sees the modern generation as delicate flowers more than ever. “There is a kind of new Victorianism,” he said. “Every generation gets offended by different things but my friends who teach in high school tell me that their students are very easily offended.”

Now snowflakes have blown across the Atlantic and entered into British parlance. Last week, Boris Johnson warned François Hollande not to administer “punishment beatings” in the Brexit negotiations. His old friend Michael Gove piled in, saying those offended were “deliberately obtuse snowflakes”. And the term has already been re-appropriated by its targets: at the Women’s March in London on Saturday were signs with slogans such as “Damn right we’re snowflakes: Winter is coming”.

Chuck says this is a problem with the Left, not the Right. “The modern Left is always reacting to things,” he opined. “Once they get their show on the road culturally they will stop being so offended.” He added self-effacingly: “That’s just my bulls**t opinion.”

And what about Donald Trump, The Londoner inquired — are people too offended by him? The writer wouldn’t answer. “I’m going to pass on that one,” he said, which led The Londoner to think he might be enjoying this new pugnacious politics.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post