SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New England Clam Chowder
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New England Clam Chowder Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Geez, Jallen. Okay, now I feel compelled to buy some. $5/can is pricey though.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Geez, Jallen. Okay, now I feel compelled to buy some. $5/can is pricey though.

https://www.tonyschowder.com/order/

3 cans $18. 6 cans $24. Be glad I am telling you. I ordered 6 cans on Amazon for $31 with free shipping.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. After shipping, comes out to be about $31 still.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm wanting to say that it was $3.79 per can at my local Publix...I can't find the receipt to be sure. Be assured I will keep a couple cans on hand...it's good stuff.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
just buy some Dungeness crab and make them yourself. Must be Dungeness.

Sacrilege!

You must be a West Coaster.

Us East Coasters all know that BLUE CRABS make the best crab cakes!

I grew up in Texas catching blue crabs and eating them the same day.

Still live in Texas, still go crabbing for blue crabs, but I also spend a lot of time on the Oregon coast now and have caught quite a few Dungeness crabs and eaten them the same day, too.

Dungeness crabs are easier to pick apart but I'd give the blue crabs a slight edge on flavor. In a crab cake, with all the other stuff going on, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference.

At the end of the day, Dungeness and blue crabs are both among the very tastiest things you can put in your mouth.

The biggest mistake people make with crab cakes is too much filler, usually too much breadcrumbs or crushed cracker. Crab cakes should mostly be crab, with a bit of seasoning and just enough other stuff to keep it from falling apart. Crab cakes at a lot of restaurants are often more like crab-flavored bread cakes, because crab is expensive and bread isn't. They should look like a little pile of crab meat, not like a falafel or hush puppy or something.

My dad was a waterman. Shrimped in warmer months, dredged for oysters in the months with an "R".

He pointed out to me the lady wearing a dress on the back of blue crabs. Lots of folks don't know this but have a look for yourselves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C L Wilkins,

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Received my 6 cans from amazon yesterday. Can't wait to check it out. I prefer mine a bit on the thin side. Will try half/half for first can.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Received my 6 cans from amazon yesterday. Can't wait to check it out. I prefer mine a bit on the thin side. Will try half/half for first can.

I think you will be pleased. It is not like the thick almost gravy with chunks of crab and potato often served in restaurants, but it isn’t the thin gruel either. Lots of crab, of course, lots of spices but not burn your mouth hot.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

I think you will be pleased. It is not like the thick almost gravy with chunks of crab and potato often served in restaurants, but it isn’t the thin gruel either. Lots of crab, of course, lots of spices but not burn your mouth hot.

I'm confused. Do they also make a crab chowder as well as a clam chowder or did the way this discussion went cause a brain fart? Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
quote:

I'm confused. Do they also make a crab chowder as well as a clam chowder or did the way this discussion went cause a brain fart? Big Grin

Jim

Autocorrect is my worst enema.

I meant clam, of course.

With all the talk of crab, clam, and scallops.... it’s easy for fingers to get confused while thinking.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
quote:

Jim

Autocorrect is my worst enema.

I meant clam, of course.

I know you did. I was just being mischievous and pulling your chain. I love to hate Autocorrect as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Mine caught me by surprise today. I ordered it around noon on Thursday and it arrived about the same time today.

Already have my meals planned for the next two days so it looks like Tony's is on the menu for Monday or Tuesday (if I can wait Razz )

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I'm wanting to say that it was $3.79 per can at my local Publix...I can't find the receipt to be sure. Be assured I will keep a couple cans on hand...it's good stuff.
Yup. I just came from Publix. Picked up a can to try it. $3.79
EDIT WITH UPDATE:

We tried it. Followed the directions on the can re half & half and butter. Accompanied by a fresh take-and-bake baguette. My wife and I agreed, the best clam chowder that we have ever had!

I'll get a few more cans nest trip to Publix. Only $3.79!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I ordered from Amazon, can't wait to try it.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked in a few Publix in Alpharetta but they did not have it so I ordered from Amazon.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you will be pleased. It is not like the thick almost gravy with chunks of crab and potato often served in restaurants

True New England clam chowder isn't gloppy thick and super creamy anyway. The original recipes only called for milk if you look at them. Another change that happened along the way along with the viscosity is the move from salt pork to bacon. Originally it used salt pork, which the NE fisherman would have had plenty of on hand.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
I looked in a few Publix in Alpharetta but they did not have it so I ordered from Amazon.

If you like it tell the store manager at your Publix, they will order you in a case since it's in their system, we can get it here for $3.79 a can.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Now, where does one get world class crab cakes?

Try these, you won't be disappointed. https://gandmcrabcakes.com/online-only.html or these https://www.timbukturestaurant...product/crab-cakes/]

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those around Northwest FL. Tony has a restaurant in Cedar Key, a bit out of the way and there may be a line, but its well worth the wait.

tonyschowder(dot)com/dining-at-tonys-seafood/

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
Now, where does one get world class crab cakes?

Try these, you won't be disappointed. https://gandmcrabcakes.com/online-only.html or these https://www.timbukturestaurant...product/crab-cakes/]

At $144 per 6 pack, I should hope not. Yikes!

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
They are a little cheaper at G and M, and in my opinion a little better. But both are good.

Here's a recipe that works as well.

2 slices dried bread, crusts removed
milk
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon McCormick® Parsley Flakes
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon OLD BAY® Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 pound lump crabmeat
Method

In a large bowl, break bread into small pieces. Moisten with milk.
Add mayo, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, baking powder, OLD BAY, salt, egg and crabmeat. Mix lightly and shape into 4 patties. If time permits, refrigerate patties 30 minutes to help keep them together when cooking.
Broil or fry until golden-brown on both sides.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post